Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Glasses help
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

I need glasses for reading, pc etc (+1.25) but there’s also other stuff on my prescription (-2.25 cyl, 140 axis, +2.25 sph and infinity xyl). I don’t notice anything poor in my long vision.

I have used off the shelf reading glasses on the basis the other aspects of my prescription are mild without issue, so I presume that’s ok,and given I can’t see **** all detail in the distance with my (close up) prescription glasses on then the other aspects of the prescription are a bit of a nonsense for close up glasses?

I wear glasses at work and a fair bit at home and find myself looking over them at home. I am wondering about bifocals or varifocals, rather than going for the Heinz Wolff look.

How have folk got in with either?

There’s a good offer on glasses direct via MSE ending tonight hence this thread…on the wrong forum FFS! *Irony*

coatesy
    Free Member

I get on pretty well with my varifocals (my dad, on the other hand…..), but they’re generally a bit expensive to get it wrong with, so require a bit of forethought as to what’s needed before purchase. Trying to cram three different lenses into a very small space is a bit of a non-starter, so a larger lens works much better, and you really need to think hard about the situations you’ll want them for, and test the prescription in said situation (my first pair were fine in the shop, but I couldn’t focus close up enough in the real world).One other consideration to take on is the need to be tilting your head back or forward to use the correct part of the lens, not an issue for a quick glance, but spending an hour at the PC may give a stiff neck.

therevokid
    Free Member

I’ve went down the varifocal route several years ago and loved them.
    I’m quite long sighted (+4.25 etc …. but need +1.75 for upclose) so
    a touch different to yours. Some struggle with the change – my wife
    couldn’t deal with them at all – as you’re used to moving the eye to
    look at something which means you change the “magnification” – some
    “interesting” effects there !!!
    Vari’s aren’t quite as bad as bi-focal as the change is gradual
    rather than “boom – reading” 🙂

cookeaa

the other aspects of the prescription are a bit of a nonsense for close up glasses?

IANAO but I believe you have a mild astigmatism, they didn’t start using the sph and cyl fields on mine until I developed one that was after a good 20 years of glasses wearing… They should probably have explained what your eyes were up to.

Not sure if ignoring it will make a difference, probably best to ask an optician…

giantalkali
    Free Member

Go and buy glasses from an an optician, not the internet.

IAAO

giantalkali
    Free Member

oh, and you’ve got a big old astigmatism there, so do things properly

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

rocketman
    Free Member

mrs rocket has some varifocals and as above they don’t work too well if the lenses are physically small.

They’re ok with bigger lenses

scrumfled
    Free Member

Varifocals are a bit more tricky. The online guys in general are good for simple prescriptions, but you’d do well to spend time with an optician.

Incidentally, I wouldnt touch glasses direct with a bargepole, my dealings with them were pretty much akin to ordering from tredz.

slowoldman

I would have thought if your distance vision is OK you only need reading glasses. Nothing wrong with Heinz, he’s a smart guy. That said, I’ve been a Varifocal wearer for years and they are great. I agree though that you should take advice from an optician, not a bunch of half blind bikers with completely different requirements to you.

Scapegoat

Go to an optician. Varifocals are awesome ( I have different prescriptions in each eye and an astigmatism) but you need them to be made to suit your eyes, as getting the fitting right is fairly critical. As above, larger lenses work better than smaller ones, especially the reading part.

You may or may not save money on glasses online, but an optician will make sure they fit you before you leave the shop.

Other opticians are available, but I have used Specsavers for the last ten years, and this year got a pair of tailor-made premium varifocals in designer frame, and a pair of varifocals polarised sunnies, also in a designer frame all in for £375. There have been a couple of wear and tear issues over those ten years with frames and lenses, but they sorted all that out for free. I fully expect these to last two years as all the others have.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Interesting how many say see an optician but only one justifies it substantively. More would help.

My memory is that I was told my prescription was mild beyond the reading bit.

Bought a few pairs from GD, no issues.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Well I have some bifocals and varis coming.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Well they arrived.

Bifocals probably better, the varis seem to have a smaller focus area for close up stuff, which also distorts as you rotate it (inherent or a flaw in the pupil distance or something?

Am tempted to go to an high standard optician instead! Just to get the fit perfect…

carlosg
    Free Member

Varifocals come with different size close/reading sections , for what its worth Asda optiticians are pretty good . Hard coating/anti reflective coating are standard and they only use the varifocal lenses with the largest close up segment.

BigJohn

I struggled to get on with cheap Specsavers varifocals. So much so they gave me my money back and let me keep the rather nice pair of reading glasses that came as part of the 2 for 1 deal. I got a very good pair of varifocals with expensive Essilor lenses from the hustler on here. Excellent but dedicated readers are better for close work.
    As my prescription has changed a bit, as it does with age, I have a close up contact lens in my left eye and a distance lens in my right. It’s called mono vision and it works for me, but not everyone. I even keep them in for mountain biking.

PePPeR

Again, I use Asda opticians, full varifocals, ( they don’t prat around with all the various levels, just the best available) thinned and scratch resistant £130 for two pairs with everything set up correctly rather than the internet.

Again on the large lens advice, I’ve found the smallest lens I can get away with gives much better vision with far less distortion at the edges!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Glasses help’ is closed to new replies.