Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Girl with the dragon tattoo
  • tyger
    Free Member

Loving these books! "Just finished The girl who played with fire" and starting the last book.

I'm looking forward to the film.

Thinking ahead, are there any other books of a similar caliber that you could recommend?

warton
    Free Member

Reading the first one now. Good so far

Have you tried Henning Mankell. I think he's great, although people say he's not as good as this guy. Also try the Arkady Renko series by Martin Cruz Smith (Gorky park is the first one) very good…

DrJ

I like Henning Mankell as well, but he's a bit different from Stieg Larsson – less action, more psychology. My favourite "depressed Nordic detective" is Erlandur, in Arnaldur Indridasson's books

vinnyeh

I've got the final one on the go at the moment- seems a bit better than the second, which I found a bit flat after the first.
    Hated all the 'booted up his 12" macbook pro with 128gb hard disk and 4gb ram type stuff'

Not looking forward to the film really- from the start I had an impression of what Sander looked like- Noomi Rapace wasn't it.

tyger
    Free Member

I agree with you vinnyeh but I thought the end of book 2 was great! We're both at the same place with the story! 🙂

DezB
    Free Member

I'm part way through the 2nd, but actually finding them pretty average.

Some bits are so pointless – like the full list of IKEA purchases and their names.. wtf?

Probably won't bother with the 3rd. Hopefully Chuck Palahnuik will have something new (and far more original) out by the time I've finished.

tyger
    Free Member

DezB – the ending on book 2 is amazing!! Hang in there – it's worth finishing.

DezB
    Free Member

I will – it's not bad enough to give up on – the actually storyline is worth bothering with, it's the style I find a bit dull. 🙂

stevomcd
    Free Member

Just read the first one. It was OK in a page-turny kind of way, but pretty standard stuff.

I kind of get annoyed that these kind of books have to add-in all the gore and sex. There's just no need. Doesn't add anything to the story, just titillation. (Don't get me wrong, I'm all in favour of sex in most circumstances!).

rossendalelemming
    Free Member

I've just finished all three. For those of you who don't like book 2 stick with it, it's setting everything up for the final book.

ebygomm
    Free Member

I've read all of them (twice in fact), they're nice easy page turners but actual writing is a bit pants. Not sure how much of that is down to translation. I'd put them in the same category as Dan Brown books

tinker-belle
    Free Member

The second book was a bit of a slog, but really enjoyed the third.

Another recommendation for Henning Mankell, I read Firewall, before I read the girl with series, and it was quiet good, just about to look into his other books.

kevonakona
    Free Member

Start of the third is a bit slow IMNSHO.

I know he's dead but i got the impression all teh way through that the author saw himself as a bit of a Blomqvist wannabe.

stevomcd
    Free Member

I know he's dead but i got the impression all teh way through that the author saw himself as a bit of a Blomqvist wannabe.

I have a particular hatred for writers who make their central character a writer. But a really cool one. Who scores with all the chicks.

DezB
    Free Member

I have a particular hatred for writers who make their central character a writer. But a really cool one. Who scores with all the chicks.

😀

gavinski
    Free Member

they are ok, but probably not as good as the hype. I'm, sure some of it is lost in translation.

I've just finished James Ellroy's american trilogy – American tabloid, the cold six thousand and ending with Bloods a rover. they are truly awesome and thoughroughly recommended.

freeform5spot
    Free Member

stunning series! so much detail!
    I prefered the 3rd just for the way that it tied everything together.
    had a hard time remembering all the different swedish names though!

stever
    Free Member

Cracking books. Blomqvist being such a hit with the ladies is a bit much isn't it, and he's a fairly obvious cypher for the author. Does anyone else find themselves picturing characters from Wallander when visualising people 🙂

fogliettaz
    Free Member

Just read the first one and bought the third but cannot find a shop that has the second in stock. I presume it is best to read them in order.

odannyboy
    Free Member

had totally differnt hopes for this thread 🙁
    mind you it isnt friday….yet.

Kit
    Free Member

I bought and read the first one totally unaware of the hype and thoroughly enjoyed it. Not normally the kind of book I'd choose to read (sci fi normally) but it was a proper compulsive page turner. Found the 2nd and 3rd books to be just as good. Not sure I enjoyed the film though – I'm adverse to film makers taking big liberties with plots and characters…

rossendalelemming
    Free Member

fogliettaz – you must read them in order as the story runs over three books. I got mine from ASDA's 2 for £8 i think.

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

Hated it,took ages to get going and then had a bit of sadistic sexual nastiness before the expected twist showed up
    Those Swedes are some boring bleeders, about as interesting as the awful Wallander tv shows

Don't wish anyone dead, but its a merciful escape that the author only wrote three and not the whole set of twelve

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Girl with the dragon tattoo’ is closed to new replies.