Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Gilet advice
  • nickswolves
    Free Member

Morning all, I’d like to purchase a gilet for both on and off bike use. Was looking at the Gore windstopper gilet which looks great for on the bike use but not so great for everyday use. Are the likes of the Rab Generator / Finisterre Bise / Alpkit filet etc too warm / bulky for riding in or ok?

Del

doubt the bulk will be an issue at all, but i wouldn’t use down on the bike due to the high likely-hood it will get wet, either through rain/spray or through heavy perspiration. windstopper is a good choice of material for biking and plenty of manufacturers use it, not just gore.

jwmlee
    Free Member

I have a Gore Phantom Jacket II with zip off sleeves making it an excellent gilet. Very handy and have worn it in 4 seasons. Windstopper now comes in two forms – SO (soft shell) and AS (active shell). The former is warmer and less water resistant.

nickswolves
    Free Member

Would be interested to hear from Rab Generator / Finisterre Bise users if any on here?

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Paramo lightweight torres gilet. Brilliant bit of kit.

thomthumb
    Free Member

Rab Generator

got one it’s great but it’s not for on the bike.

gilet on the bike is a windstopper, to take the chill out not an insulated layer. they do quite different things. you need to buy 2.

nedrapier

I keep looking at the generator. I’ll probnably buy one next time I see one on sale. It’s my favourite out of the bunch, but I’ve not tried on the Finisterre options. Bit of a Rab fan, but it is good stuff.

Like Del, I wouldn’t go down for biking, even if you only wear it in the dry, your sweat will start to compromise it anyway. Less bulk from a synthetic will mean it’s more likely to fit under your rain jackets and pub jackets, too.

cinnamon_girl

Wot thomthumb says ^

Gore Windstopper gilet is brilliant and an investment, it’s something you will get so much use from as you don’t always need to wear a jacket. Mine has a mesh back which is great when you’re wearing a pack.

Riofer
    Free Member

I’ve got the alpkit one, it is definately not a bike piece of clothing. I get hot in it just walking about, no need for that level of insulation whilst riding.

The advice above to get a windstopper low bulk one for the bike is right IMO. The Filet is great post ride though.

nickswolves
    Free Member

My gut feel was that they might be too warm so thanks for your feedback. Looks like a Gore for on bike then. Don’t suppose anyone’s got one for sale in a medium!?

cinnamon_girl

nickswolves – check out tgstore.eu as they sometimes do 10% or more off. Always worth Googling for Gore!

Edit: £55.24 less 10% discount code. Not bad!

Gary_M
    Free Member

I’ve been using a gore windstopper one for a few years. It is a great gilet, breast pocket is good, rear pockets aren’t. I wouldn’t say it was an investment though, good gilet yes, investment no.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

DHB windjammer gilet – warm as toast, in fact probably too warm for a hot blooded cyclist like me. Mesh back like Gore ones but cheaper. Ran a XC mara in it as well yesterday and was like toast all the way round. Fits quite snuggly though!!

seadog99
    Free Member

I’ve got a Montane Velo Featherlite gilet which is really good for on the bike or other high aerobic activities.

Montane Gilet

For when I am not so active and need to be a bit warmer my Haglofs barrier vest is a top piece of kit.

Haglofs Barrier Vest

Jas

Blackhound

I hva ea Finisterre Bise which is excellent but would not think of wearing it on a bike as reasoned ^^^ up there.

The Craft one is very nice on a bike:

Gilet

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Gilet advice’ is closed to new replies.