Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Giant TCR Advanced 1 – Wrong bike for a non-racer?
  • 13thfloormonk

I’ve always been a sort of sportivey/MAMIL type riding Synapses or equivalent and was looking for a new equivalent (although preferrably without discs, although I don’t want to start a debate about that).

I’ve been offered an amazing deal on a TCR Advanced which looks great, feels crazy light compared to the other bikes I’d be considering, and mostly has exactly the sort of spec I want.

However last night I was ‘exploring’ on Google maps and found a whole maze of twisty, hilly back country roads in the central belt (in and around Slamannan). It’s exactly the sort of stuff I love but in between the potholes, the gravel, the puddles etc. it just didn’t seem the sort of terrain for a thoroughbred race bike.

Just wondering if I would regret getting something faster and stiffer than I’m used to then rattling it about on crappy roads basically.

Any owners care to comment?

Ta

aldo56
    Free Member

Having ridden on the hills around Slamannan on my TCA pro 2; I bloody love it.

They’re quite long bikes though, make sure you fit it / like the position before buying.

zokes
    Free Member

Wrong bike for a non-racer?

I sincerely hope not, I’ve just bought one. It’s actually my first road bike (save an old pub bike and my commuter tourer). Took it for a test spin expecting it to be far too long and stretched and amazed how well it fitted me. In my fairly extensive searching I’ve struggled to find much bad written about the current crop, and certainly not at the discount they’re offering for run-outs on the 2017 stock. I just got $2k off a TCR Advanced SL 1 here in Adelaide.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I do about 200 miles a week on a 2012 TCR Advanced SL.

Love it.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

When you sit on it does it feel comfortable? If yes then crack on, if not then look at something else.

As a bike I dont think its that racey…. whatever that means. I had one for a week in the pyrenees last year and found it a very comfortable and very stable.

One of my mates has a different brand bike and the front end is far less stable ie more twitchy.

I assume you are buying online/remote hence why cheap?

legend
    Free Member

However last night I was ‘exploring’ on Google maps and found a whole maze of twisty, hilly back country roads in the central belt (in and around Slamannan). It’s exactly the sort of stuff I love but in between the potholes, the gravel, the puddles etc. it just didn’t seem the sort of terrain for a thoroughbred race bike.

You’re over thinking this. Get it bought. I’m more than happy kicking the crap out of mine on the central belts ‘amazing’ roads

13thfloormonk

No, was actually browsing a local shop (Velocty 44 in Stirling) and got chatting with the owner, before I knew it I was booked in for a Retul fitting and he was reserving the bike for me at the awesome discount price.

However, various family circumstances mean I won’t be able to go back for the fit any time soon and it wouldn’t be fair to expect them to hold on to the bike for an indefinite amount of time, so consider this thread an advert for a size M/L TCR Advanced 1 for sale for £999 at Velocity 44 Stirling 😀

Thanks for the replies though.

legend
    Free Member

Velocity 44?! Stop being a pleb and buy a Factor instead!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Giant TCR Advanced 1 – Wrong bike for a non-racer?’ is closed to new replies.