Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Giant anthem x3 2009 – as good as it seems ?
  • peaky
    Free Member

Hi all,
    Looking at the anthem x3 at pauls cycles. Thay are selling for 824 (+ postage).
    Looking at reviews/comments this seems to be a real good deal.
    As I can't find a 2009 locally I will be trying a 2010 model at lbs – I'm assuming the geometry will be the same so I'll be able to tell if it suits me OK ?
    will mostly used for light trail/road/track with the occasional trip into more serious terrain.
    What do you guys think, is there any better FS bikes for that sort of money out there ?

Nonsense
    Free Member

In a word … no

They were a very good bike for the money at full price. Go for it!

malchales
    Free Member

Ive an 09 X1, bestb bike i`ve ever owned

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    chakaping
    Free Member

You better buy something at the LBS if you're going to be that cheeky.

peaky
    Free Member

You better buy something at the LBS if you're going to be that cheeky.

I usually end up buying something every time I visit !

ginsterdrz
    Free Member

The 09 X3 is awesome and compared to the 2010 spec Anthems, its an absolute bargain at that price.

The Rockshox forks are a little basic but you'll still have loads of money left over with the 09 X3 and a decent set of upgrade Rockshox compared to the outright price of the 2010 and Fox forks.

Buy a set of Reba's that you can take up to 120mm.

2010 Giant range have suffered from exchange rate issues last year.

vrapan
    Free Member

Go for it and upgrade bits as you go along. Built my Anthem X from a 2010 frame and it is a brilliant bike. I was also considering the 09 X3 but I had a few parts laying around as it was so I decided to start from scratch.

v10
    Free Member

One of the best FS buys on the market. We sold a LOT at £899 and were lucky enough to sell out just before pauls came in with the £825 price. Bargain – great bikes too – just taken delivery of a 2010 X2 to replace my 19c 🙂

BoardinBob

Buy a set of Reba's that you can take up to 120mm.

If you fancy more travel you'd be better looking at this for just over an extra £100

http://paulscycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m1b4s1p2272&z=2650

peaky
    Free Member

Don't tempt me to spend more money !

£800 is already more than I should really be spending, I just felt that if I was going to go over £700 the Anthem X3 seems the best comprimise of cost vs performance….
    Thanks for the comments guys…..

jemima
    Free Member

Peaky – I'm not sure if I should be thanking you or not… I've just bought one of those X3's. Been looking for a 2nd hand frame for ages but nothing was coming up so this seemed like a cheap way to get the frame once I sell off the components. So that's good. On the other hand I hadn't really planned to spend the money this week/month… oh well 🙂

thepodge
    Free Member

got a link? i can only find the trance x 3 at £1099

oops, just read anthem not trance

BoardinBob

got a link? i can only find the trance x 3 at £1099

http://paulscycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m1b4s1p2274

BoardinBob

£500 off this. Hooligan fun for £1,100

cullen-bay
    Free Member

How much of a **** are you if your going to waste your LBS's time trying a bike there, and then buying it somewhere else? be a little more considerate, and maybe buy things from your lbs instead, as im sure you ask them questions and things all the time.

peaky
    Free Member

I think my comment about the LBS may of been a bit lacking in detail. I am always upfront about my intentions, and if they can come up with a deal for something I'm happy with, I will buy localy (even if it is a bit more expensive – up to a point).

timdrayton
    Free Member

Off the high horse there Cullen-bay!

Lbs are businesses not charities, if they can't match a competitor on price then tough, if their service is the thing keeps their loyal then great, they will not lose out.

If the shop in question is losing money through wasted time on bike tests then they need to seriously look at how they do business!

Get a grip ffs

cullen-bay
    Free Member

exactly, they are a business, not a demo center. its just not exactly great wasting a shop's time and resources before going and buying the bike elsewhere. They don't give people shots on bikes for the banter y'know. (they do it because they are trying to sell the bike)

timdrayton
    Free Member

yep and if i was trying to sell a bike that was £100+ cheaper elsewhere then i would be looking to value ad to the deal by offering extras, or servicing, something to sweeten the deal.

pauls must rely on quantity to make profit but i bet they meet very few customers, so the lbs needs to make a sale by thinking of how to win them over, its easier to make a sale when you have the customer in front of you?

to be honest, pauls dropping their pants on price should be seen as an opportunity, it'll probably stimulate loads of test rides at giant stockists, these are called leads.

when i was in sales a lead was an opportunity….

cullen-bay
    Free Member

Most LBS should have a free service with the bike, and be able to move a little on the price of a bike, but if you intend to buy a bike online, don't waste your lbs's time intentionally.

starseven
    Free Member

So back to the Anthem x ……….. It's good value but your probably gonna want to change everything, just like at any price point you might want to consider a HT with a better spec . Having said that I bought a anthem x3

epicyclo

cullen-bay – Member
    …if you intend to buy a bike online, don't waste your lbs's time intentionally.

It may not be dishonest, but it's certainly unethical.

nuke

Just buy it…if by any chance you didn't like it, wait until they go out of stock and then flog it on; I doubt you'd lose much.

Was going to get one from Pauls but they sold out of 18" bikes but they seem to have 'found' some more stock by the look of it. Got an EX8 instead…Long headtube albeit integrated headset and low BB on the Anthem which put me off in the end but they do have an excellent reputation. Still tempted.

emac65
    Free Member

Most LBS should have a free service with the bike, and be able to move a little on the price of a bike, but if you intend to buy a bike online, don't waste your lbs's time intentionally.

If you choose to do that then fine but don't preach to other people what they should do,free world blah blah blah….

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Giant anthem x3 2009 – as good as it seems ?’ is closed to new replies.