Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Getting used to a road bike
  • NWAlpsJeyerakaBoz
    Free Member

I bought a hybrid last year and have been enjoying road rides (about 30 miles at a time) as an alternative to riding the MTB. However, the bike is quite heavy and is essentially set up as a 29er with flat bars and slicks, not too much different from my MTB. Ive been thinking of getting a road bike for obvious reasons of more suited to the job, lighter, better riding position, etc.

However, the couple of times ive had a ride on a road bike in the past ive been shocked by the nervousness of the steering and the awful brakes. As a MTB rider who has always ridden with wide bars and decent brakes it felt very odd/almost unsafe. Im assuming with time you adjust to this, or do some people not ‘get on’ with road bikes/drops bars?

Any useful advice appreciated.

Bregante

MTFU 😉

JoB
    Free Member

you get used to it, the steering just becomes normal and your MTB will be bargelike, and as you get fitter and lose weight the brakes become less awful

cynic-al
    Free Member

A modern decent road bike will have good brakes, and you’ll get used to the twitchiness.

It’s not like all road riders crash through bad steering/brakes all the time.

titusrider
    Free Member

Yeah doesn’t take very long to get used to and addicted to!

I had a couple of bits of neck pain but a flipped stem and getting my visor out the way sorted that.

The handling is pretty enjoyable to be honest, U can be so subtle with your movements its almost like U think it through the corners 🙂

jam-bo

First time I bought a road bike I hated it and sold in within a couple of months. Orbea something or other.

Bought a spesh secteuer last summer and it’s a world apart. Quite enjoying it now apart from finding a comfortable saddle.

bm0p700f
    Free Member

If the brakes feel awful you are leaving the braking to late or have crap pads. Decent pads sort the braking out. The steering is fine for me but I have been riding road for years now.

TheDoctor
    Free Member

If the brakes feel awful you are leaving the braking to late or have crap pads. Decent pads sort the braking out

Second that! Your brakes are awful because you have crap brakes, not any other reason!

ahwiles
    Free Member

Any useful advice appreciated.

try a few, ones that fit are better.

stumpyjon

I couldn’t get over how light mine was. Once I dumped the camelback 😳 , sorted the position of the drops and ridden it a few times it didn’t scary any more. As others have said getting back on the MTB after riding it feels like somethings broken, me or the bike.

tinribz
    Free Member

Get a disc frame or try fitting some Crosstop Brake Levers.

jeb

I mounted a 75mm stem, it really helped the steering and, for the geometry, no more aching on the back either!

unovolo
    Free Member

Decent brakes and pads make the world of difference(assuming they have been set up correctly)
    And compared to a mtb they do feel twitchy initially, it would be like driving a tractor normally and then switching to a sportscar your body and brain needs time to adapt.

oldgit
    Free Member

jambo, check your shorts. With good shorts any saddle will be comfortable.
    All my old shorts I bought for mountainbiking are dreadfull, and discomfort on the road bike kicks in after a few miles.
    Get the best shorts you can buy, though not a pair you’d be paying towards the name for.
    I use Northwave Treasure 53/11’s and my botty area is never a concern.

trevh
    Free Member

road bike are ok once you get used to them but the brakes on a road bike reading the road and anticipation is everything leave it to late you will come a cropper believe me i have. 😯

crikey
    Free Member

It’s like the difference between a bread knife and a scalpel, or between a tin opener and a needle…

MrSmith
    Free Member

Get a disc frame or try fitting some Crosstop Brake Levers

it’s a road bike not a cross-bike.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Definitely try a few different ones, and sizes. not all road bikes are equal. Some built almost purely for racing and are incredibly twitchy, low bars, short headtube etc, others have a more upright position clearance for bigger tyres and ‘guards and might be more suitable.

tinribz
    Free Member

it’s a road bike not a cross-bike

It’s a bike.

thomthumb
    Free Member

my brakes are great and it’s a £500 boardman. genuinely, dunno what people are doing wrong.

MrSmith
    Free Member

It’s a bike.

so is this

tinribz
    Free Member

So is this:

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Getting used to a road bike’ is closed to new replies.