• This topic has 11 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by br.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Getting to Keswick by train?
  • tenacious_doug
    Free Member

Going to a stag do in Keswick in April. How feasible is it to get there with a bike, by train? Cycling from the station is not an option (not everyone will have a bike, some carrying golf clubs, late at night). Anyone got any pointers for an easy transfer option that will be ok with the bikes. Just turning up and hoping stagecoach will be ok with them on the bus seems like a bit of a gamble.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Train to Penrith then the coach links from there – meets all the mainline trains

jekkyl

I’m thinking if you need to cart around golf clubs, a bike, associated gubbings and also luggage then hiring a vehicle would be a better idea. Are you that skint? you can hire a little van for very little money.

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

No, it’s not about the cash. We quite like the idea of getting on the train Friday night and cracking open a beer without having the hassle of 4 hours driving, and don’t have to worry ourselves on Saturday night with when we have to stop drinking to drive on the Sunday morning.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

If your all arriving at the same time then there are a few people who would be doing bus tour type stuff – one of the locals will probably be along soon

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

Sadly the direct rail link to Keswick got pulled up in 1972. Such a shame as it would probably be very popular now with outdoor types.
    Putting a bike on a bus can be hit and miss. I had a driver refuse to take mine as he thought it would damage other luggage!
    As that bus route is popular with students coming home at weekends the service can be busy.
    There are quite a lot of local taxi and transfer companies offering airport drops etc.
    One of those may be a better bet if they have a vehicle big enough for bulky items.

jekkyl

don’t one of the bus companies run a special take your bike on a bus service or some such. Or if you’ve got loads of dosh mini bus taxi from penrith.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member
    devash
    Free Member

I’d just hire a van and draw straws to see who has to drive it, then make sure that person is compensated with free booze on arrival.

breadcrumb

Just book a taxi that’s capable of carrying everything.

As said above its no worse than an airport run.

djflexure

Remember the last time I tried getting on a bus in the Lakes with a bike.

Stranded the wrong end of Borrodale having trashed my chain on a boulder. Bus was empty. Driver told me to do one. No bikes allowed.

br
    Free Member

No, it’s not about the cash. We quite like the idea of getting on the train Friday night and cracking open a beer without having the hassle of 4 hours driving, and don’t have to worry ourselves on Saturday night with when we have to stop drinking to drive on the Sunday morning. [/I]

Go to somewhere that has a railway station, ie not Keswick?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Getting to Keswick by train?’ is closed to new replies.