Viewing 40 posts - 281 through 320 (of 327 total)
  • Genesis Longitude thoughts
  • ben98
    Free Member

Oh god what have they done. I, being 5’5″ would’ve actually considered buying the 650+ as a smaller plus sized option to 29+ but the ally fork and lack of rear rack mounts just make this completely unsuitable for it’s actual purpose! I thought it was supposed to be freaking adventure bike.

Tbh, you could very easily swap the fork for any one of a number of 29er forks (salsa, surly would have anything cage mounts). The lack of rack mounts doesn’t stop something being used for “adventure”, I have rack mounts on my Karate Monkey, never used them and its been on far more adventures than most!

I quite like the bike, I think it’s flawed, would need a new fork asap and to be run with normal 29er wheels. But tbf, i’d swap even a steel fork out for a carbon one straight away anyway!

scotroutes

Any idea what the A2C on that rigid fork is?

RestlessNative
    Free Member

“The new fork measures 483mm axle-crown with 51mm offset – i.e. suspension corrected for a 100mm 29”/27.5+ fork”

scotroutes

Duh!

😳

RestlessNative
    Free Member

I’m more tempted by this now for £750. Though the 1×10 puts me off a little. Doesn’t have the anything cage mounts but atleast it has rack mounts if wanted and 3 bottle bosses.

epicyclo

On looking closely at it, I like it.

It looks like it could take 3″ tyres if you were running a singlespeed or a hubgear, and having Rohloff mounts as standard is a great idea.

That would make an ideal summer bike for me.

Now where’s the stainless version?

fin25
    Free Member

That Marin perfectly demonstrates the problem. £750 for that or £1200 for the longitude…Both bikes have some compromises, but the Marin wins out purely on value, which was kind of the trick that Genesis pulled with the original Longitude.

zezaskar
    Free Member

Here’s a funny pic from MTBR of the supposedely semifat Trailblazer next to a Vittoria Goma 29×2.4:

The author found that the WTB was only 1mm wider than the Goma.
    So much for the “increased volume” of B+…

Clink

How are people getting on with these as a trail bike running 29+? I’m seeing it as a (much) cheaper alternative to the Jones plus!

kazafaza
    Free Member

If you tend to chuck the bike around and pop every root’n’rock than you might find it a bit sluggy however for smooth rollin’ it’s ace! My High Lat that I loved and ragged is gathering dust at the mo’ as the Longdude is soo much fun to bimble around! Though I haven’t had a pleasure to meet miss Jones yet. 😐

PeteG55
    Free Member

I was looking at one of these frames to upgrade my hack bike, but lack of bottles cage bosses and apparently rack mounts mean its off the list. Inbred seems like best bet currently and a bargain price.

addy6402

As much as I love mine it is slightly too big (at 20.5″), expect a classified ad for a little used one soon….

zezaskar
    Free Member

If yours was a 19″ I would try to buy it right away

boxelder

Here’s a funny pic from MTBR of the supposedely semifat Trailblazer next to a Vittoria Goma 29×2.4:

I’m running both those tyres and that pic is misleading. I suspect neither tyre is sat on the floor and certainly not on a rim and inflated – though happy to be proved wrong. The difference in height isn’t as great as shown and the WTB is on a smaller rim diam. Volume doesn’t just come from wheel outside diam or tread width. What I know from experience is that the trailblazer feels very different to a 2.4 Goma.

swavis

I’ve just dipped back into this thread again and can’t believe they’ve gone and changed all that was good about the 2015 model. I’m sooo glad I went for it when I did, by far the best bike I’ve owned. I built mine up from a frameset, 1×10 and with Duallys tubeless and I’ve barely touched my other bikes in months.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Thinking of this as a commuter/bikepacker. Did they possibly decide to go 650b as the choice of tyres should be better in the long term?. The length of time it’s taken the likes of dirt wizards to arrive is a bit off.

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

I’ve got a 2016 650b+ one on test at the moment.

First Thoughts

stretchtoo
    Free Member

I really, really like the look of that Marin at that price. My first “proper” mountain bike was a Pine Mountain. I’m very happy with my Longitude, but if I was in the market again the Marin would win hands down for me.

fin25
    Free Member

Still haven’t ridden anything else since January…

farawayvisions
    Free Member

My partner managed to get one of the originals from Genesis as a replacement for an Io Id. It’s built with Jones Loop bars and a Rophloff hub. He’s one happy chappy. It’s like living in a menage a trois. Here we are on our first outing together.
    The Longitude Dan and Me

cycles-goff
    Free Member

leaving aside the fact that the general consensus is it isn’t as good as last year’s, is there anything about the 2016 model in itself that shouts ‘don’t buy it’? Still looks a tidy enough bike to me for general trails and exploration jolly days out? cheers

boxelder

Who’s actually ridden one yet? Any real experience of the ‘harsh alloy forks’? modern bike luggage has made rear racks redundant for most.

stretchtoo
    Free Member

Had an amazing weekend hooning with a bunch of friends in the Lakes. Surprising how quick the 3″ knards are over rough stuff, easily kept up with the full sus chaps. Just hang off the back and go. I was concerned I’d be left behind on the tech stuff, but anything at red route grade I was having no trouble at all.

I had one blow out when I was really going for it – lesson is to keep the rear above 25psi on the standard 35mm rims on the sharp slatey stuff.

I also ran into a lady who had won a frame in a competition and was thinking of ebaying it as it didn’t fit her needs – so keep an eye out. She had a test ride but my bike was obviously too tall.

So there you have it – Longitudes with knards are great for hooning and meeting people. Shame it’s different this year, but as noted above – who’s ridden one? Maybe they’re great!

zezaskar
    Free Member

Any chance to find a 2015 size 19 frame in stock anywhere??

riddoch

freeborn claim to have full bikes in stock.

zezaskar
    Free Member

Thanks, but I’m not interested on the full bike, too much an hassle to sell all the build kit…
    But thanks for the tip, I’ll speak with them

porkscratching
    Free Member

Look what I found:

Its the 20.5″, got it for a good price too – has to have been one of the last unbuilt 2015 framesets left for sale. More pictures to come once I actually build it.

zezaskar
    Free Member

Lucky guy…

Can’t find a 19″ frame or complete anywhere, guess I’ll give up

robdob
    Free Member

I don’t know why everyone is complaining, the new bike looks great and they’ve obviously put a LOT of thought into how they have designed and specced.

Love how people are complaining about the alloy fork without riding it. If they had made a steel fork it would have been very heavy (read the reason why on their site) and you’d be complaining about that anyway.

zezaskar
    Free Member

Anyone knows the tyre clarance (27.5+ or 29″) of the 2016 frameset?

johnnystorm

Stretchtoo…Knards at 25psi+?! Isn’t that missing the point of them? I run my Knards at 10psi on Hugos……

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

Anyone knows the tyre clarance (27.5+ or 29″) of the 2016 frameset?

With the TrailBlazer there’s 20mm on the non-driveside and allowing for the chain, about 15mm on the driveside.

I’ve been riding one for the last five weeks. Yes, the fork is stiff and no, it shouldn’t be enough to put you off buying one.

Full review on the Bear Bones site in the next couple of days.

zezaskar
    Free Member

That’s a lot of clearance.
    Wonder if 29+ tyres will still fit, since the chainstays are not much shorter

coomber
    Free Member

Pork scratching was that from Soanes by chance? Very nice.

Robdob .. If it ain’t broken and all that. My experience of alloy or steel forks I’d happily sacrifice weight and go steel

porkscratching
    Free Member

Coomber – Yes it was the one from Soanes. They were very good to deal with, nice shop.

Nearly built now just waiting for some guards and a couple of little bits.

coomber
    Free Member

I saw it boxed up the day I went in. Sid was telling me to buy it as it was right up my street. Didn’t hang around long. Great shop and staff.

Whoever above said there’s no 19″ there’s a new frameset on eBay at the moment.

zezaskar
    Free Member

Any link to the Ebay frame?
    Can’t find it

coomber
    Free Member

Hmmm… no longer seems to be up you are right

zezaskar
    Free Member

You made me hold my breath for a moment with that

duckman

Nice if Genesis would get the bikes already in shops up on their website.

Viewing 40 posts - 281 through 320 (of 327 total)

The topic ‘Genesis Longitude thoughts’ is closed to new replies.