Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Genesis Flyer vs Kona Paddy Wagon, 2015 Bikes
  • Bucko

Sorry, this is my second thread on the singlespeed road bike topic.

I’ve pretty much got my shortlist down to these 2 bikes.

I’m after a singlespeed drop bar for my 7 mile flattish commute and general winter trainer.

I would buy a 2014 Flyer without question but there’s no stock anywhere and ***TART ALERT*** I’m not too keen on the colour of the 2015 bike, cherry frame with black forks. I’m also unsure about the change from Reynolds 520 to the new ‘Mjölinr’ chromoly tube set and a suspicious price drop of £100.

For these reasons I’m looking at the Kona Paddy Wagon but this my just be for asthetic reasons…

Can anyone offer any words of wisdom?

TiRed

Paddy Wagon has 73 degree parallel road bike geometry. The Flyer has a 72 degree head angle. On those grounds alone I’d take the paddy wagon. I have one – well the frame only as everything else is custom, and it is an excellent bike. The Reynolds 520 of the Flyer was higher spec than the sadly, basic Kona steel, but the geometry of the Kona is what makes it such a great ride.

EDIT: And the new Kona has higher spec 520 steel, compared with my older version. So buy with confidence. Wheels are heavy but the hubs are unbreakable.

Bucko

Talking about frame angles goes way over my head.

Are you saying the Kona is more ‘racey’?

cupra
    Free Member

Having owned both (not the current models mind you), I still use the Paddy Wagon on an almost daily basis. Never really got on with the Flyer, frame felt a bit dull.

Bucko

Isn’t the normal complaint about the Kona that it’s really heavy?

MoreCashThanDash

There’s a Paddy Wagon just appeared in tbe bike shed at work and I really want one now.

Does that help?

Being practical, do they both have all the mudguard and rack eyelets that you need for commuting?

cupra
    Free Member

I use a saddle bag on mine so they weight isn’t really a big issue for me. Never really noticed it to be honest. I use Crud Raceguards on mine.

plus-one

I had a flyer it looked gorgeous(blue one) from 2012 I think but geometry combined with short head tube it was very low at front.. I’m very flexible but couldn’t get comfy on it.. Have a paddy wagon and it has the magical kona ride(most likely sorted geometry)

🙂

TiRed

Talking about frame angles goes way over my head.

frame felt a bit dull.

The Paddy Wagon has standard road bike geometry and handles like a nice road bike. The 73 degree head angle will steer a little faster than the 72 degrees of the Flyer. The steel frame does flex, but then it is a steel bike with small tube diameters.

The geometry of the Paddy Wagon makes the ride and the flex is part of that. The (cheap) steel frame on mine is offset by carbon forks and custom handbuilt wheels. I ride it almost every day and will take it out for a 30 mile club run tonight. Full SKS P35 mudguards and all.

Without the rack, mine is 9.2 kilos. It “rides” about a kilo lighter. I as thinking of upgrading the frame to titanium (same geometry), but a new 520 frame would be almost as nice.

EDIT My PW has single eyelets on the back for mudguards and a rack (mounted from each side with short bolts. No rack mounts on the seat stays, so I use a seatpost collar with two mounting points. A tubus fly would also work fine.

jameso

Paddy Wagon has 73 degree parallel road bike geometry. The Flyer has a 72 degree head angle. On those grounds alone I’d take the

.. Flyer for winter miles on the roads I have around here : ) I think the move to guards and a 72 HA is a good thing for a winter-friendly SS. Not a fan of steeper race-geo bikes on wet, lumpy, steep roads. All personal stuff though.

The Reynolds 520 of the Flyer was higher spec than the sadly, basic Kona steel, but the geometry of the Kona is what makes it such a great ride.

EDIT: And the new Kona has higher spec 520 steel, compared with my older version. They’re all cromoly. No difference in material, just the names. Tube diameters and thicknesses may vary, I know the old Flyer had a stiffer DT than the 31.8mm DT on the Kona. Not sure about the new one. Cromoly is brilliant stuff though, you can make a wonderful-riding road bike out of it. The posh steels can make a difference in places but it’s fairly subtle.

Bucko

I’m more undecided than ever now. I wish there was some way I could see them both side by side but there aren’t any Kona dealers around my way that I’m aware of so the Paddy Wagon would be off the internet

simondbarnes

I have a 2015 Flyer. It’s lovely. I decided it was time I had a red bike 🙂

Have swapped to fixed with a Surly chainring & cog. Still trying to decide on mudguards.

Bucko

@simondbarne, I’m so sorry, i really want the Flyer but I just really can’t get along with the 2015 colours.

My next problem is the Paddy Wagon sizing. At 175cm (5ft9) i appear to be slap back between a 53cm and a 56cm. I’m unable to see one in the flesh as the nearest dealer is too far away. Hmmm…

MoreCashThanDash

Now I really like that red colour……

simondbarnes

Now I really like that red colour……

That’s why I bought it 🙂

Also same geometry as my 853 Equilibrium which I love riding.

brooess
    Free Member

Get a ride on both. I had a Flyer (2007) and sold it within months. The geometry then was half way to a track bike ie: I was staring down at the road – which is exactly the opposite of what I wanted for London riding when you need to have your wits about you and see everything coming!
    FWIW I bought a Cotic Roadrat which was a lovely bike to ride and well-worth the extra ££

TiRed

You are a 53. Mine’s a 56 and I’m 5’10.5″ and I could have gone smaller.

plus-one

Actually looking at the pivot 2015 flyer they have changed geometry .. Down to which color bike you like best then 🙂

Bucko

I’m not so sure I need a 53cm, if I was going to order blind I was going to chance the 56cm. My CdF is a 54cm

plus-one

I’m 5′ 11 and ride 54’s or very close too .. I’m all legs though .. Huge minefield bike sizing as we’re all very different ..

I would always size down as you can eek out more room with layback post/longer stem but if it’s too big it’s always too big 🙁

tinkertaylor1981
    Free Member

I’m 5’9 and ride a 53cm PW. I tried both and the 56 felt too stretched.

Great bikes. I use as it as winter commuter and all round general bad weather bike. In two years of daily use it’s only had bearings and has been faultless otherwise.

It is heavy, but this, combined with the single gear, makes for a good training bike. The nice road bike feels all the more nice when it gets a run as well.

Bucko

2014 Paddy Wagon £454 at Wiggle, that price could be the decider.

Although I am waiting to hear back from Cotic to see if they will spec a drop bar single speed Road Rat. It would be a fair bit more expensive than the Kona or Genesis but a lot more versatile for any future ideas…hmm

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Genesis Flyer vs Kona Paddy Wagon, 2015 Bikes’ is closed to new replies.