Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Genesis croix de fer
  • marco
    Free Member

Hi all,
    Thinking about one of the above, the 10, anyone have one that could give some feedback?
    Would be used for commuting and general day to day stuff
    Cheers

jay-gleave
    Free Member

Funnily enough I’m selling one at the moment. If you message me with your email I’ll send the details.
    They’re a cracking bike a proper do it all machine, I’m just not riding mine and fancy something with bigger tyres
    Jay

robdob
    Free Member

The 2015 models have much bigger clearances on the fork compared to the older models I think, that may sway your decision.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Mines from 2014.

It is the most comfortable road bike I’ve ever ridden. Built it up myself with an alfine 8 speed hub and flat bars.

Good commuter but mudguards are hard to get on due to disc brakes.

robdob
    Free Member

My brother – Peterpoddy on here – works for a Genesis dealers and has bought a 2015 10 for himself. Fitted mudguards no problem.

Have a look here: http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/2015-croix-de-fer-1st-ride-at-last

marco
    Free Member

Wow
    Good responses! Thanks everyone

drovercycles
    Free Member

Great bikes – would wholeheartedly recommend.

Free Member

Hi,

I have one from 2011 and it’s just brilliant, not exactly quick off the mark compared to something like a carbon road bike, but almost ‘steam roller’ like once it’s going 😉 it’s damned quiet too, i think that’s the steel frame absorbing those little bumps/imperfections. Incredibly comfortable too.

I may soon be selling mine, but purely out of fiscal necessity as I’m buying another bike.

Honestly, buy one. You won’t regret it!

iainc

I had a 2014 one and recently changed it for a 2015 30, lovely bike for road touring, gentle off road, exploring etc.

marco
    Free Member

Wow
    Good responses! Thanks everyone

justatheory
    Free Member

I’ve got a 2014 one. Cracking all rounder. It’s not exactly svelte but that’s not really the point of this bike. I may be biased but I much prefer the appearance of mine with the straight forks that are the same colour as the frame.

clubby

Hi, I also looked at the Genesis but ended up with a Charge Plug instead. Look at the plug 3, very similar spec to the bike you’re looking at but £100 cheaper. Mudguards fit no problem, just need a spacer and longer bolt to clear the front caliper.

daleftw
    Free Member

Had mine for about a year now; Lovely bike but still can’t pronounce it.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Clubby, not so mate. The Charge is the same price as a CDF 10…..
    Buy whichever you like really. The Genesis looks nicer IMO and has better brakes and tyres for what I need personally.
    I have no axe to grind though. I’ve got a Charge Cooker Maxi as well. I like both brands. 🙂

hatter

I am lucky enough to have a 931 stainless Croix affectionately called the ‘Wintersaurus’ ran it in summer with knobbly 40c’s for mixed terrain commutes and bridleway bashes and now it’s got 35c’s and SKS guards on it.

I’ve very much erred on the side of ‘sturdy’ when building it and it’s far from ‘racy’ but for a tough, comfy cruiser that can wear many hats it’s brilliant, can’t see myself ever wanting to get rid of it.

isitafox
    Free Member

I’ve got a 2015 10 and love it to bits. Bought it for commuting to work and got mudguards fitted along with some flat bars and platform pedals and currently it’s my goto bike. Never ever really liked road bikes but this is something else, would definitely recommend one!

kcr
    Free Member

I’ve just replaced a 2012 Croix de Fer frame with a Kinesis Pro 6 frame. The Croix was a bit of a tank, which I didn’t mind too much, but the corrosion on the frame was a bit of a drawback for commuting year round. It rusted all over the place; breather holes, cable mounts, fork crown, rack mounts, etc and the paintwork scuffed up really easily. I’ve seen two other Croix de Fers which had exactly the same problems. Lots of brown stuff inside when I opened it up as well.
    Hopefully the newer ones are a bit more corrosion resistant.

clubby

Peterpoddy, maybe on the manufacturers websites but most places are doing the plug 3 at £750.

iainc

never heard of them having rust problems before….

jameso

iainc, I found the white ones to be worst, the black day one / other black steel bikes I have/had didn’t seem to be so affected : )

iainc

Interesting Jameso, thanks. I had a black one, but only for a year, and now a blue one !

kcr
    Free Member

The 3 I’ve seen (including my own) with problems were all white. A friend who works in a local bike shop also remarked on the amount of internal corrosion he had noticed on some Genesis frames.
    I’m sure if I was not riding it all the time, and looking after it carefully it would have lasted better, but I think a commuting frame should be able to handle a bit of weather and abuse.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

The 2012 one I built up was 22.5lb and didn’t feel like a tank at all – my mates retail one however is a tank.

It was 22.5lbs – I changed the frameset to a tripster and saved a couple of pounds, but it is not particularly noticeable.

jameso

I was making a bit of a joke about how I noticed it at the breathe holes of a white frame more than a darker frame : ) I can’t see a genesis or surly corroding any more or less than a singular or anything else, all the same steel. ED coating will stop it if the frame has it, adds cost though. I just spray some water dispersing lube inside when replacing headset or bb and think no more of it.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Genesis croix de fer’ is closed to new replies.