Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Garmin Edge 810 – navigation options ?
  • julzm
    Free Member

Folks, apologies if this has already been covered (I’ve searched forum but still unsure on this point)….

I’m thinking about buying a garmin edge 810. I want it for training and occasional navigation. Do I need to purchase the navigation option or can I just buy a microSD card and upload maps to that? What type of maps are actually compatible? I’ll be using it for off-road stuff, no road riding.

Thanks for your help.

Dibbs
    Free Member

Just buy a microSD card and load the maps onto that, a lot of people use Openstreet maps because they’re free I use Garmin mapping because I already had it.

chakaping
    Free Member

The open source maps work well for me, on and off road.

You stick them on an SD card iirc.

Kieran

3rd here for the openstreet maps.

In “some” cases I’ve found them to be better than OS as they actually show MTB routes which in many cases aren’t officially recognized by OS

Xylene
    Free Member

Will the garmin maps from my car satnave work in it?

Superficial
    Free Member

3rd here for the openstreet maps.

In “some” cases I’ve found them to be better than OS as they actually show MTB routes which in many cases aren’t officially recognized by OS

Having spent an hour climbing through bracken because an OpenStreetMap map said there was a path, I am inclined to disagree.

And yes I know this is like one of those stories where a driver drives into the sea because their sat nav said to so don’t bother pointing it out.

andyfb78
    Free Member

You’ll need to have a Garmin SD card, or get it unlocked.

It won’t read an SD card unless you either know a crack, or they give you an unlock code.

I have found that I can just use the SD card that it came with and swap maps on and off as needed (different countries etc), but you can just buy a maplin card.

Sorry I don’t have an unlockign solution.

rickmeister

Open mtb maps used here and don’t forget to download the contour file too. Simples.

julzm
    Free Member

Thanks folks that’s really useful. My health insurance provider is giving me 50% off a garmin device from the end of this month. So maybe with the 50% off the cost of the maps is not really that prohibitive.

Great point about it having to be a garmin SD card – does it have be unlocked or just formatted? I had this problem with my drift HD camera, but it turned out it was just needing formatted. If it does need to be a garmin SD card, I take it that’s one that you need to buy with maps on it?

Really appreciate the advice, it’s always good to hear from folks who have them before making a big purchase. Thanks again.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Garmin Edge 810 – navigation options ?’ is closed to new replies.