Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • garmin edge 500 question (about the GPS bit)
  • turneround

im off the the alps again this year for a month a and have just got a edge 500, (didnt go for the 800 / 810 due to size and cost). being a lazy git and not studiously reading the manual yet, can anyone tell me if the 500 has the capability to track a route then return you via that route – its just id like to be able to get back to the campervan without the worry of getting lost or taking maps etc

zilog6128

Not got a 500, but the 200 has a “return to start” function. So, probably.

traildog
    Free Member

I’ve not seen that on my 500. You can plot a route out before hand and follow it easily on the 500. Having said that, I’ve just updated the Firmware on mine and there have been a few updates to navigation so that might have been added?
    If you are out in the mountains then I would always take a map as a safety backup.

turneround

cheers, its road stuff for me in the alps, but i’ll take a map anyway 🙂

mrblobby
    Free Member

You can create courses from previous rides directly on the 500 that you can then follow. You might be able to do this and follow the wiggly line in reverse but it might get annoying as it’ll probably constantly tell you you’re going the wrong way. I don’t think there is a way directly on the 500 to reverse the course and then follow that. Had a quick look at the manual and can’t spot anything that might do this.

hammerite
    Free Member

You can map in advance and load it on following a trail. I use that function quite a lot.

Pretty sure you can ride somewhere, save the route and reverse it back too.

Haze

Plotted and followed a route on mine for the first time on Saturday, mostly off road but with a few road bits to link stuff up.

Only intended to follow the breadcrumb trail out of interest, but got turn by turn directions (including street names/numbers) on the road bits which I wasn’t expecting.

Not sure if that will work over there but wouldn’t mind finding out, off there myself later in the year…

turneround

Pretty sure you can ride somewhere, save the route and reverse it back too.

thats what i need….

mrblobby
    Free Member

I can’t see a way to do this. Had a quick fiddle with my 500 and looked at the manual. Don’t think it can be done.

Kryton57

Haze – Member
    Only intended to follow the breadcrumb trail out of interest, but got turn by turn directions (including street names/numbers) on the road bits which I wasn’t expecting.

Sure you have a 500?

atlaz
    Free Member

I’d take a map anyway. I did a couple of improvised rides in the Vosges one weekend recently and I was glad I’d got printed maps in my jersey but then again I did loops rather than out and back.

Haze

Kryton, definitely a 500!

It’s not a full screen image like the 800, just a little arrow icon at the bottom of the screen with a line of text “left at whatever” etc.

Aidy
    Free Member

For turn by turn on the 500, I think you need to have course point warnings in your route file.

I know bikeroutetoaster puts in turn symbols – what course creator did you use to get street names etc. included?

Haze

RidewithGPS, used the OSM maps

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘garmin edge 500 question (about the GPS bit)’ is closed to new replies.