Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Garmin 820 – can you just get it to display a GPX track?
  • Ewan
    Free Member

Is there a way to get the 820 to just display a gpx course on the screen? It takes ages to calculate a long route (say 100km) and it’s very annoying to have to wait 10 minutes if i have to stop following the route for what ever reason.

Ideally i just want it to overlay the gpx track on the map display – is this possible?

rob2
    Free Member

Yep.

Create a course on mapmyride
    Export gpx
    Plug in Garmin to computer
    Copy above gpx into the Garmin under folder ‘new files’
    Eject Garmin
    On Garmin, go to courses -> saved courses
    It will be there on your screen

beej

Just set it to “show on map” rather than use the navigate function too. I never bother with the navigation prompts, I get annoyed if it thinks I’ve gone off course.

Ewan
    Free Member

Hmmm, i couldn’t find an option like that – where is it hidden?

Rob 2 – that’s how i import courses at the moment, when i click ‘ride’ it then does its calculating thing for 10 minutes.

beej

Go to the course, then map set-up, where you can select the colour. Then I think there’s a tick box for “always display”. Around there somewhere anyway.

Just remember to untick the next time you do a different route, else you’ll have all manner of confusing lines.

genesiscore502011
    Free Member

Noted

boblo
    Free Member

If it’s anything like the 810, you’ll want to set ‘turn by turn navigation?’ to ‘off’ as well.

richardk
    Free Member

Shouldn’t be taking 10 minutes to load a course. Are you including POi or other info as part of the export? My Garmin 520 takes about 10 seconds to load a 60k course for a point of reference – standard export of GPX from ridewithgps.com

Ewan
    Free Member

cool thanks all. Will try those ideas.

Richard K – the 820 is known to take ages loading a course – it essentially is rerouting the entire thing – for the turn by turn nav. The 520 does it in a different way (as it doesn’t do turn by turn).

zilog6128

Richard K – the 820 is known to take ages loading a course – it essentially is rerouting the entire thing – for the turn by turn nav.

yes, I think there is supposed to be an option to disable it, but I haven’t been able to get it to work (not spent that long sodding about though as I don’t use it for following courses that often). It is quite handy actually, just a shame it takes SO LONG to compute!

Apparently they have changed things (or beefed up the processor!) and the new 1030 takes significantly less time to compute the course so I assume they’ll also fix it for whatever replaces the 820.

mahalo

i turned my turn by turn navigation off too, then half way through my next ride i realised why all the the climbs were technical and all the descents were on fire roads!! 😕

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Garmin 820 – can you just get it to display a GPX track?’ is closed to new replies.