Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Gardening 2013
  • Dales_rider
    Free Member

Well as spring starts officially today, well according to me as its warm out, its in the garden and planning.
    Potatoes chitted
    leeks in a seed tray
    Globe artichokes sprouting nicely
    Peppers in a seed tray

Plans to either increase height of deep beds or get a poly tunnel and deep in thought as to what veg to grow this year.

Thoughts

bokonon
    Free Member

I’ve not planned anything, only just getting my new allotment cleared after last years house move/new allotment. Will probably plant some fancy spuds come good friday, and will turn over a fair part of it to beans and squashes, because I like them, other than that, would appreciate inspiration for planting (fruit/veg only).

Dales_rider
    Free Member

Fancy spuds try Highland Burgundy Red, make lovely chips and interesting “Pink” mash

ski
    Free Member

Planting two new vines at the back of my garden, will bring my total back up to six, been giving a god range of carrots so will mix scatter them into deep pots again. Strawberry plant runners reported, now have about eight varieties on the go.

Last year went mad on peppers, so this year planning to do toms

konadad
    Free Member

spuds are chitting away nicely but no seeds , too cold here still. just redone raised beds to make soil deeper and better drainage if get another wet summer. i always grow new pots in bags no probs slugs or . i built polytunnel last year and that wad an epic success. highly recommend. worth it for increased crops. cucumbers and courgettes chillis outstanding.

here is a pic from last year

[/url]
    Untitled by konadad, on Flickr[/img]

captaincarbon
    Free Member

Trying Thompson and Morgans ‘heritage’ spud collection this year, along with some Sarpo and Sentanta as they did well against the blight.

Great looking tunnel there konadad! Was it costly? Toying with the idea of putting one on one of the allotments but not sure about sturdiness/vandalism etc…….

Dales_rider
    Free Member

konadad – Member

Awesome poly tunnel, what size and who’s ? How easy to put up ?

konadad
    Free Member

thanks guys. polytunnel is 25’x12′. i made it myself from internet examples. scaffolding poles knocked into ground, gas pipe for the hoops, scaffold boards for edges and beds. approx cost: boards £20, pipe £80, poles free from a mate, plastic £80. allotment exposed to westerly winds but the tunnel just flexes in wind unlike green house which gets a battering. done in a weekend, well worth it.

no trouble with vandals etc, no glass to chuck stones at and rips be taped up

Dales_rider
    Free Member

mmm plans a poly tunnel

molgrips
    Free Member

Garden a total mess. Grass really long from last autumn, too muddy to get out working in it, but stuff is starting to grow and it needs sorting out.

I may nuke it from orbit.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Gardening 2013’ is closed to new replies.