Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Garage floor painting.
  • bennn
    Free Member

I’ve been trying to find time to paint my new garage/mancave floor and up until now it’s been too wet/ I’ve not had the time.

I’ve got a little problem with a little rainwater coming under the door, so I’ve had some plastic sheet there for a couple of weeks to dry the concrete out underneath.

Weather forecast from today until the weekend is dry, will it be possible to to sweep/ vaccum/ PVA & paint in the current (cold) weather conditions or will it cause funny paint reactions and take forever to go off?

Thanks, Ben.

andyl
    Free Member

i’d wait until summer now unless you can heat the garage enough (without any naked flames/sparks due to fumes)

bennn
    Free Member

Garage is unheated, I really did want to get it painted before buying any racking/ benches and filling both with ‘stuff’

andyl
    Free Member

See if someone recommends or you can find a paint that claims to be okay going on in colder weather. Seem too many problems with paint going on in cold weather. You can always re-coat the middle bit in the summer.

Greybeard
    Free Member

Seal it with a water-based sealer now and overcoat later?

McHamish
    Free Member

what about something like this;

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

Do not use PVA!!!!

bennn
    Free Member

Why what’s wrong with PVA?

Already got a tin of Ronseal garage floor paint, will have to see that min/max temps they recommend.

trail_rat
    Free Member

itll just peal if you paint over the PVA

unless you can get the floor up to that temperature (not the air) its not worth it.

tomkerton
    Free Member

I agree about the pva., no need. Two coats of that Ron seal diamond hard paint did me fine. Worth spending the time to sweep and vac thou roughly.

It’s been very good indeed.

Don’t know about drying times in the cold sorry.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Start at the back and work your way to the door,

I know someone who didn’t follow this simple advice!

😀

superfli
    Free Member

Put this down first:
    Conrete Sealer

Then put as many coates of paint as you can. Use all the tin. I managed about 3-4 coates from my tin, but that was because it kept changing colour. You need to really mix it well.

bennn
    Free Member

Was that person you? 😆

The Ronseal Diamond Hard stuff is what I’ve got, will have a look at the tin, see what they say.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

A mate called Neil, ended up working in a council planning department….

Nice bloke, at the back of the queue when sense was handed out though.

bennn
    Free Member

Haha, classic!

chiefinspector
    Free Member

You could hire a space heater to warm/ dry the garage prior to painting.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Garage floor painting.’ is closed to new replies.