Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • Fun PC computer games for teenage girl
  • leffeboy

Hi folks

Any suggestions for a computer game for a teenage girl to cover the end of the holidays. Machinarium, Samorost and Botanicula have all gone down well if that helps

chrisdw
    Free Member

Portal and Portal 2? Very puzzle based.
    Lovers in a dangerous spacetime is fun and good for more than one player.

chrisdw
    Free Member

Limbo is a good side scrolling game.

chrisdw
    Free Member

Steamworld Dig?

leffeboy

Portal is looking excellent tx. Need to look at limbo as well

Cougar

How old is “teenage”? Life is Strange is brilliant and has a female college student protagonist, but has “mature” themes that your average 14-year old wouldn’t be phased by but her parents might.

Drac

Fortnite, Battlefiled 1, Star Wars Battlefront I and II, GTA V and The Sims 3.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Eldest hasn’t looked up from Sims 4 since Xmas. It’s a few years old now so runs well on most hardware.

martinhutch

Limbo is a good side scrolling game.

Inside is even better.

EDIT: Though, TBH, my teenage girl likes sniping people on Team Fortress 2, so who knows?

Cougar

teenage girl

GTA V

😯

Well, I feel vindicated about suggesting LiS now.

leffeboy

15 year old and I’m sure she would be comfy with lots that I wouldn’t. Not sure about GTA V but will look at Life is Strange. We had Sims at one point but could never get it to run 🙁

Is there any downsides to buying this stuff on Steam?

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Bioshock series games?

martinhutch

Is there any downsides to buying this stuff on Steam?

Nah, it works well. Just don’t forget your username and password – or leave a card attached to the account. 🙂

The main downside is how temptingly cheap nearly-new games are. I’ve just worked my way through the Dishonoured series.

leffeboy

Yep, seems really cheap. Life is Strange looks perfect as does Portal so might give those a shot

martinhutch

Portal 2 is better than Portal IMO, worth finding a deal for both.

fossy

Overwatch – my 14 year old plays ths

leffeboy

Portal 2 is better than Portal IMO,

great info, thanks

hatter

Portal 2 is very good but some of the gloriously dark humour will make more sense after you’ve played 1.

They’re both well worth it.

mattyfez

Portal for sure.

little nightmares is a brilliant platform game, beautiful art work and not as scarey as the title suggests.

Del

portal 1 and 2 as mentioned. i’d recommend those to anyone who doesn’t even like games.

Cougar

Yeah, you want to play Portal before P2.

molgrips
    Free Member

What’s being a girl got to do with it? 👿

dannybgoode

The Thief series – old school stealth games but great fun. Available on GOG and Steam for not much money for the whole series.

martinhutch

Portal 2 is very good but some of the gloriously dark humour will make more sense after you’ve played 1.

Cave Johnson is funny regardless of your previous gaming experience!

I agree though, Portal first as a warm-up – it’s actually a pretty short game to play through.

You can get something called ‘The Orange Box’ for PC, which includes Portal, Team Fortress 2 and the Half Life 2 games – about a fiver normally. Then Portal 2 is 2 quid on Steam at the moment. Absolute bargain!

Bimbler
    Free Member

What’s being a girl got to do with it?

Girls and boys have different tastes?

Sims IV, my girls love it. Although fairly spendy if you’re only looking for a couple of days play time.

molgrips
    Free Member

No, people have different tastes.

Don’t stereotype. A better question would be ‘what non-violent game?’ or ‘what chilled out game?’ or whatever it is you are looking for.

Cougar

Life is Strange looks perfect

Point of note, LiS is five episodes, the first ep is free. So you can try before you buy. (First hit is free, kiddies!)

It’s one of the best games I’ve ever played, I’ve never been as emotionally invested in a game in my life. I’m currently playing through the prequel (Before the Storm).

Drac

What’s being a girl got to do with it?

The OP has a daughter, they tend to be girls.

Bimbler
    Free Member

No, people have different tastes.

Don’t stereotype. A better question would be ‘what non-violent game?’ or ‘what chilled out game?’ or whatever it is you are looking for.

Yes that does seem to be the current orthodoxy amongst a certain socio-political milieu. In actual reality it’s nonsense though.

Study finds robust sex differences in children’s toy preferences across a range of ages and countries

molgrips
    Free Member

Uh. You’ve missed the point there.

Firstly, the question you need to ask is WHY those kids played the way they did. The suggestion is that they are conditioned to do so. From that same article:

“There is a fashion today to say that gender is purely a social construct. In reality, gendered behaviour is a mix of biology and social influence

Secondly – even if the majority of girls want ‘girly stuff’ and even IF it’s not because they’ve been conditioned to do so, you should not therefore behave as if ALL girls do. Because it can leave those who don’t feeling like freaks. You get kids coming home from school saying things like ‘I really like Batman but that’s boy’s stuff’. This happens. It might not have happened to you but it happened to us. It happens because even though you might not be telling your kids this, they pick up on it. They see the boy section and the girl section in toy shops and they think that’s how it has to be, without bringing it up. Trying to go against this kind of programming is a constant uphill struggle.

I don’t want my kids or anyone else’s kids to be conditioned into boys like this and girls like that. That’s why I make these posts – not because I want to be ‘professionally offended’ or whatever you are going to say next.

The OP could have asked the exact same question without loading it with gender conditioning. What if it had been a boy who wanted a non-violent game? You’d have asked ‘what non-violent game?’ So why bring gender into it? Sure, MOST boys might like violent games, but not all of them. Similarly, most girls might like non-violent games (whatever, not even sure what you meant by ‘girl’s game’) but not all do. This is the key point.

Cougar

Why are you assuming a girl wants a non-violent game? (-:

I agree with everything you’re saying Mol, but that doesn’t mean that her gender is wholly irrelevant either. I recommended Life is Strange specifically because the main characters are teenage girls and so might resonate more with a teenage girl player (and because it’s awesome). I thought it might make a pleasant change from 937 incarnations of Marcus Feenix.

You seem to be objecting to the OP even mentioning that he was looking for a game for a girl rather than a teenager of secret gender. As I said, I totally agree with everything you said and gender stereotyping is frustrating, but I don’t think this particular fight exists here.

Bimbler
    Free Member

Blah blah blah This is the key point.

That pretty much everyone (on here) agrees with implicitly but some people have to police peoples expression of same while virtue signalling for all to see.

molgrips
    Free Member

I agree with everything you’re saying Mol, but that doesn’t mean that her gender is wholly irrelevant either.

The ONLY thing that is relevant is her taste in games.

You seem to be objecting to the OP even mentioning that he was looking for a game for a girl

Why mention it at all?

It’s exactly this kind of subliminal conditioning I’m trying to highlight. Girls = this, boys = that. It just does a disservice to girls != this and boys != that.

but some people have to police

Sucks doesn’t it?

simon_g

Gone Home? https://gonehome.game/

Was one of the indie hits of a few years back – I loved it, it’s about £2 on steam now and only takes a couple of hours tops to play through.

Drac

Why mention it at all?

He has a daughter there are games aimed to appeal to girls, Horizon Zero Dawn is one of them but he mentioned a girl as he has a daughter. Stop trying to make the world perfect.

Cougar

Why mention it at all?

Why not? Is it a secret? What aren’t you up in arms about him mentioning that she’s a teenager too? What relevance does that have?

It’s relevant information for the reason I just explained and you’ve conveniently ignored in order to have an argument.

molgrips
    Free Member

I don’t like having arguments.

Why not mention it? To avoid propagating gender stereoptypes. For the reasons I just explained. Are you ignoring that just to have an argument? 🙂

Stop trying to make the world perfect.

Ok. Everyone give up now. This is as good as it’s going to get.

Things might be ok-ish, but did you wonder how we got here? If sexism IS mostly gone, how do you think that happened?

Cougar

I do take your point. But if we’re really in a position where someone wants recommendations for their daughter but cannot even mention the fact that they’re his daughter for fear of being accused of gender stereotyping, fury will be erupting at the Daily Express shortly.

What games do you recommend for a teenage person, Mol?

convert

In a world of genunine equality it’s also ok to acknowledge that some stereotypes might have a ring of truth to them. The actual key is not to irradicate stereotypes but not be judgemental about if that stereotypical trait is a bad or good thing or if that person fits within their neat stereotyping.

You have said yourself that ‘most’ girls might enjoy non violent games more. You have to trust the father here to be aware if his teenage daughter is part of that ‘most’. If not I’m sure they could have asked ‘what games for my daughter who has a bit of a blood lust’.

In any case his lazy shorthanded nomenclature seems to have garnered a good crop of games she will enjoy so it’s not all bad. Off to download the Orange box for me (middle aged man, not sure what that does to my sterotyping).

Drac

What Cougar and Convert say you can still fight sexism but being hyper sensitive about someone using a gender about their child is pretty pathetic.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Fun PC computer games for teenage girl’ is closed to new replies.