Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Fun for vinyl nerds….
  • ajantom

I’ve used Discogs many times to buy records over the years, and it’s great. Much better than eBay, as you can generally rely on the listing and grading to be accurate.

My other half was recently asking what all my records are worth – alledgedly for insurance purposes, but I think she’s got an eye on a nice holiday 😉

I looked up some on Discogs, and then realised you can input your records into a ‘collection’.
    You search for the record, find your version (some are easier than others!) and just add it to your collection.

It then gives you a lowest, average and highest price that the same record has sold for.
    Where it gets interesting is that it also adds them all up and gives you Min, Med, and Max price for the whole lot.

I’ve currently inputted 350 LPs or so (this includes all the ones I know are worth a bit, so this will have upped the total somewhat), and I’ve got a Min of £2,836, a Med of £4,942, and a Max of £8,208!

Only about 800 to go (+ about 500 7″s, but not sure I can be bothered!)

Any guesses on the final total?

centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

I keep meaning to enter my collection into Discogs, I’d love to get a feel for the value, but keep putting it off for a rainy day (or several)

grtdkad
    Free Member

Plastic fantastic!

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Not sure i’ d want to… might make me tempted to sell

ajantom

My wife got excited by the increasing total. I had to point out to her that selling, packing and posting all 1000+ records would basically be a full time job in itself!

ajantom

but keep putting it off for a rainy day (or several)

I’ve got a slightly grumpy 10wk old, a tired breast-feeding wife, and a 4 yr old with a cold who also knocked a tooth out on a coffee table yesterday.

I wasn’t getting out for a ride this weekend, so this seemed like something to do!

thepodge
    Free Member

I use Discogs quite a lot and I’m always dubious about their pricing. My collection currently stands at multiple thousands but no one is actually buying what I have so yeah something might have sold for £20 but there are currently five at £15 and have been for some time.

simondbarnes

I have no interest in selling any of mine but might upload them at some point. If nothing else it will make it easy to see what I have 🙂

ajantom

Thepodge – I agree the pricing can seem high, but that’s mostly sellers putting daft speculative prices on stuff.
    The info on the actual sold prices, and specifically the average to lowest price gives you a better idea of worth.

Popsike is also good for seeing what prices stuff has gone for on eBay.

I’ve just been inputting loads of 80s/90s hip-hop 12″s. The alleged worth of some of the rarer US only imports is eye watering. Especially as I know I paid pence for them from the Music & Video Exchange in the 00s when they weren’t in fashion. KERCHING!

frankconway

£3 squillions.

ajantom

470 records so far with Medium worth of £5,740. (Min value is £3,200, and the Max is a daft £9,600!)

Most valuable (which i already knew) is a 1960s British Jazz album called Dusk Fire, which is worth about £600 🙂

Biggest surprise so far is my copy of NWA’s straight Outta Compton. I know I bought it from a charity shop for 50p, as it still had the sticker on! Turns out it’s a US 1st pressing, and it’s worth about £50!

I’m mostly quite enjoying sorting through records I haven’t looked at in ages. The ‘to be listened to’ pile is growing fast.

centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

The Discogs list would come in handy for when I’m out and about looking at LP’s in shops, I have trouble remembering what I’ve already got 😳

zbonty

I use it a LOT. It’s a great resource, aswell as being handy for buying/selling.
    Run of the mill stuff will sit forever, anything interesting/scarce/pricey will sell quite quickly.

Mine is mostly ‘dance’ music in the broadest sense so much of it is 12”s and worth not a lot in monetary terms. Means a lot to me personally though!

AlexSimon

£5000 is 20 years subscription to TIDAL or Qobuz 🙂
    (Although Dusk Fire isn’t on either)

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Fun for vinyl nerds….’ is closed to new replies.