Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Fuel card tax?
  • monkeyfudger
    Free Member

Morning!

Can anyone please point me in the direction to an explanation or give me a quick run down how a company fuel card is taxed when used solely for filling up a private vehicle for private mileage? I’ve been looking on http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/index.htm but I can only find the calculator for standard company car and fuel allowance which doesn’t seem to fit!

Cheers for any help, Mike.

uplink
    Free Member

Can’t help with the details but my fuel card [which allowed unlimited private fuel] used to cost me ~£900/pa in extra tax

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

Thanks, I’m wondering if it is taxed as a benefit in kind addition to normal wages, eg whatever fuel you put in is added to normal wages as a kind of bonus and taxed in the normal way??? I’ve probably explained that completely wrong but it semi made sense in my just woken up head….

£900 would still have saved me money around £200-£300 from my fuel bill last year from memory, it’s only going tk go up eh!

uplink
    Free Member

It is benefit in kind but it’s a ‘one size fits all’ AFAIK
    I think that the amount of private or company miles is irrelevant, it certainly was with mine

The last P60 I have with the fuel card on lists it as £2592 cash equivalent, so I paid tax [at my highest rate] on that

anjs
    Free Member

yes benfit in kind they will take the total amount spent on your fuel card as delcared on your P11D and charge you tax at the same rate as your salary

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

Cheers for the replies, just got to keep a level head now and discuss the rest of the wages….

robbo1234biking

Mine works out at about £50-60 a month I pay in additional tax but it depends on the vehicle you drive etc.

I found this site best. You can select the car you are looking at and it will tell you how much you will pay dependent upon your salary

http://www.comcar.co.uk/

anjs
    Free Member

no its not based on the car as its a private car

robbo1234biking

Sorry! That will teach me for rushing into posts and declaring my knowledge without reading the post properly…retreats away from thread

anjs
    Free Member

Thats ok, if you do any business miles you can claim up to 40p per mile back depending on how much otyur work pays you in expenses.

uplink
    Free Member

you can claim up to 40p per mile back depending on how much otyur work pays you in expenses.

going up to 45p from April

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Fuel card tax?’ is closed to new replies.