Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Freehub body compatability
  • houndlegs
    Free Member

Afternoon
    Following on from my question about mountain bike cassettes on my kaffenback, I have a new problem.
    The MTB cassette won’t fit on the freehub, totally different size.
    What I want to know is, are all freehubs fitted the same way,ie is the fixing bolt one standard size? So I can just buy the appropriate freehub body and swap them over?
    Cassette is shimano deore hg62-10,wheels are older planet x a57 pros with planet x hubs.

Ta

njee20
    Free Member

Sounds like it’s a Campagnolo freehub body – on the left, Shimano on the right.

scotroutes

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/HSFH/planet-x-hub-freehub-body

Looks like you can buy the right one for £30

houndlegs
    Free Member

Its a shimano freehub, not campag, a shimano cassette came off it.
    I know I can get one that fits my new cassette, I just want to check that the way all freehub bodies screw on are the same,ie there’s no fancy fitting needed, just the correct size freehub.
    Edit, scotroutes, I saw those but the one I need is sold out

scotroutes

Sorry buddy, I’m struggling here. If you took a Shimano cassette off then your new one should fit straight on?

houndlegs
    Free Member

Yeah that’s what I thought as well, but its nowhere near.
    The splines are all the same spacing,its the freehub diameter against the cassette diameter that’s out.
    0.8mm difference.

houndlegs
    Free Member

Right,I’ve removed the freehub and I’m convinced its a special freehub that’s non compatible with shimano replacements
    Tell me what you think.

This is the freehub, note the steps on the spline, this is why it won’t allow new cassette.

20140524_171542 by
    20140524_171635 by philipdixon36, on Flickr

This is the wheel/hub assembly

20140524_171924 by philipdixon36, on Flickr

Reassembly, the freehub is held on by this locknut

20140524_172257 by philipdixon36, on FlickrFlickr

Reassembled

20140524_172421 by philipdixon36, on Flickr

Now,normal freehub at held on by the long threaded bolt right?
    But there’s no way of doing that here, that I can tell,the planet x freehub just slides onto the axle shaft and is held on by the locknut.
    Can anyone see a solution to this other than a new hub/wheel?
    This was supposed to be a cheapish conversion 👿

scotroutes

Curiouser and curiouser.

However, Planet X are selling (what look like) standard Shimano freehubs for A57 wheels on that link I posted earlier.

houndlegs
    Free Member

I didnt pick up on that the first time i looked at the link scotroutes, i thought they were just selling what i already have but yeah they do look like they have the ” not so deep” splines, but all out of stock. I’ve sent them an email, I’ll wait and see what they say,nothings ever easy huh.

orangeboy
    Free Member

Some early shimano 10 speed road hub bodies looked like yours and would only work with shimano 10 speed road cassettes. These bodies have taller splines to avoid wear.
    From what I remeber at the time your could not even get a tiagra 10 speed cassette on the wheels only a higher end one. But all this was a few years ago

Some Easton wheels also used this fatter body that would only ever take a 10 shimano road cassette
    For my own use I had a mate machine down the alloy till it was the same as everything else and it’s been fine

And you will have to have a hub body for your wheels from on one not just any hub body

houndlegs
    Free Member

Orangeboy, this bike is 4-5 years old, so that could well be it.
    Turning freehub body could also be aan option,ta.

tthew

Don’t know if it helps, but those look exactly the same as the Superstar Switch freehubs.

njee20
    Free Member

Yep, early Shimano 10 speed wheels had deeper splines to avoid the cassette biting in. Didn’t realise any after market companies did it (why would they?), but certainly looks like they did!

mallorcadave
    Free Member

+1 for a superstar look a like. I’ve just had mine apart and the pawls and bearings look identical £25 in steel or alloy

houndlegs
    Free Member

Thanks everyone, I’ve sent a few mails off enquiring,I’ll let you know the outcome.
    Edit,mallorcadave, have you stripped a superstar one? Does it slide onto the shaft and then held on by a locknut? Like my pics?

tthew

I’ve just had mine apart

That’s how I recognised it.

Actually OP, did you realise you can just change the bearings. 6902 2RS (assuming they really are the same)

houndlegs
    Free Member

tthew,what do you mean just change the bearings?
    Apologies if I’m being a bit dim, what effect would that have on the body?

tthew

Ah, well, I don’t think I saw the original thread, but my assumption was that you were changing the freehub because the bearings were shot, if you still have the old body you could fix it. There’s not a lot else to go wrong.

If that’s the case, you can knock out the old bearings and press some new ones in. There’s a sleeve between the two bearing that you can move to the side to get a tool on the inner race and knock the old ones out. 21mm socket was the size I used to press the replacements in if I recall correctly.

edit –

Does it slide onto the shaft and then held on by a locknut? Like my pics?

Yes, exactly like that.

houndlegs
    Free Member

Ahhh no, nothing wrong with bearings at all, its a cassette fitting problem.

mallorcadave
    Free Member

have you stripped a superstar one? Does it slide onto the shaft and then held on by a locknut? Like my pics?

Yes although its a aluminium axle its the same principle

tthew

Ahhh no, nothing wrong with bearings at all, its a cassette fitting problem.

Sorry to mislead you.

njee20
    Free Member

They’re both Novatec hubs, hence similarities!

mallorcadave
    Free Member

They’re both Novatec hubs, hence similarities!

Well there you go! get the superstar one its cheaper ( but go for the steel one, I just broke an alloy one! Hence why I had it apart) 😀

njee20
    Free Member

Couldn’t guarantee they’re interchangeable (Shimano ones aren’t after all, but all look similar), not beyond the wit of man that they are though…

mallorcadave
    Free Member

I’d upload a photo if i could
    Here is a link to the photo on my Facebook pageif you want to look.

tthew

And it it doesn’t fit, you’ll be able to just send it back. Superstar have a famous no quibble warrantee don’t you know?!

mallorcadave
    Free Member

Plus they had a poll on there facebook page for what type of sweets to send out with orders and Tangfastic won, result! 😉

houndlegs
    Free Member

Ta daaa,an hour down the shed of dreams with a bit of careful filing, and bobs yer uncle

20140525_100743 by philipdixon36, on Flickr

tthew

mallorcadave
    Free Member

Glad you got it sorted, i woke up this morning realizing that the bearings on the superstar hub are probably a different size because its compatible with a 12mm thru axle! Same body different bearings methinks 😕

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Freehub body compatability’ is closed to new replies.