Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)
  • Free solo climbing, just astonishing!!!
  • robowns
    Free Member

Mountain Rescue in the UK is a charity is it not? And a voluntary body to boot!

Sorry, I was refering more towards hospitals and rehabilitation.

grum
    Free Member

They don’t even pay road tax!

piemonster

Ahh gotcha

That’d be annoying for anyone in MRT getting called to unnecessary call outs. IIRC the biggest number come from walkers though. The like’s of Honnond are rare in comparison.

That said, not sure how the stats compare when it comes to the number of call outs per 1000 users. I’d be interested to see some numbers.

piemonster

They don’t even pay road tax!

The filth

michaelmcc
    Free Member

I wouldn’t call them fools in anyway. Wouldn’t you be a bigger fool to work long hours each week and never fully experience life? I would call them slightly selfish though, in that the worst thing that can happen probably will happen some day, I would imagine! Must be hard for all the family and friends to cope with that.

michaelmcc
    Free Member

And awesome vid grum, he literally looks like a human spider man!

piemonster

Overwhelmingly walkers with a couple of climbers from that lot. Mind you, they do cover Snowdon.

UK stats for 2011 http://www.mountain.rescue.org.uk/assets/files/resources/2011AnnualReport2ndEditionpdf.pdf

Walkers 67% incidents
    Climbers roped 6% incidents
    Climbers unroped 0.6% incidents
    Mountain Biking 8.6% incidents

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

As much as I think they are fools which is my opinion it does look great almost what it would feel like to be a dream state cos that’s the only way I’m ever going out on ledge like that ..I may do things they think are foolish and they probably do !

yunki
    Free Member

wearing a rope could avoid all this rescuing if it should be needed…what do I know we used Mountain rescue this year with my 4yr old in the Lakes

ah HAH! so his 800 hours per year climbing with no rope = no call outs

but your one afternoon with your four year old in the hills and no rope necessitated a call out.. who’s the higher risk here..!!!?

I guess the lesson to be learned from this is make sure that you’re roped in at all times..

I’m just off upstairs for a wee.. 😉

piemonster

To be honest, the best way to reduce the strain on unnecessary call outs is for people to learn map and compass.

Can somebody post some more climbin vids now

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

You got me mr yunki !

I leave the post in peace !

lemonysam
    Free Member

Can somebody post some more climbin vids now

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ovr55k6evE[/video]

no mountain rescue needed here…

donks
    Free Member

The Gullich picture….He had a mat underneath him so it should have been ok 😆

reggiegasket
    Free Member

very impressive (until they make a mistake…)

Duggan

I’m not sure a lot of people were paying attention to the article:

In fact, while we’re at it, there are a few misconceptions about free soloing that he’d like to address. Firstly, he only free solos a few times a year — most of the time he uses ropes like everyone else

He only ‘free solos’ on the odd occasion.

yunki
    Free Member

😳 oh.. I’ll get my coat

drookitmunter
    Free Member

Hey thanks for posting that excellent Esquire article. Really good read.

MrGFisher
    Free Member

I have the First Ascent series on DVD, the first episode is dedicated to Honnold’s Half Dome free climb. The others are pretty amazing too. See here…

http://www.senderfilms.com/firstascentseries.com/episodes.html

If anyone wants the box set shout up and ill post it on.

nedrapier

If anyone wants the box set shout up and ill post it on.

Shouty shout! Me please!

MrGFisher
    Free Member

Its yours Ned, mail me your addy and ill post it tomorrow.

nedrapier

Dear Mr G. Fisher,

Now I’ve got the emergency 1st response in, I’d be very interested in the box set you’#re offereng. My email’s in my profile, I’ll have alook for yours now.

Yours,

Mr N. Rapier

Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘Free solo climbing, just astonishing!!!’ is closed to new replies.