Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Free Database software/Access emulation
  • speaker2animals

I have never been able to get my head round access (mostly because I have never had to in any of my work). As I am currently on the Rock n Roll I thought it might be a good time to try to master at least the basics. However the Office suite on my laptop does not have Access and there is no way that I can afford the money that seems to being asked for it.

Anyone know of a free download version that is close to Access? If so have you used it and was it "safe"?

Ta folks

jockhaggis
    Free Member

Open Office

It's free and has 'Base' which is a database app.

EDIT: Very safe as it is a product made by Sun, so no worries.

speaker2animals

Thanking you VERY much Mr Haggis

fubar
    Free Member

Access is a bit long in the tooth now anyhow (edit…actually it continues to have many uses…depends what you are trying to achieve really).
    I suggest looking at the free Express version of SQL Server from Microsoft:-
    SQL Server Express 2008

or google MySQL

mudshark
    Free Member

If it's for home use you can get loads of Oracle software for free; why settle for anything less?! I'm an Oracle guy BTW… 😉

wwaswas

2nd MySQL or SQLServer.

If you want to get into webby database stuff then MySQL is probably the way to go but they're similar.

Del

had the impression from our code monkey that access was being dropped by MS. we're installing sql now as above.

vinnyeh

Oracle Express edition
    SQL server express.

tragically1969
    Free Member

MS SQL Express does not allow the use of SQL Management studio though, which is what most folk would use to build queries\test etc.

soma_rich
    Free Member

Oracle Express edition + SQL Developer and your away.

WackoAK
    Free Member

MS SQL Express does not allow the use of SQL Management studio though

– yes it does, well the 2008 version does anyway.

retro83
    Free Member

MS SQL Express does not allow the use of SQL Management studio though, which is what most folk would use to build queries\test etc.

yea it does (at least the 2005 EE does include Management Studio Express), but not SQL profiler/tuning wizard

disco_stu
    Free Member

are you looking to create the front end ( ie forms and stuff to look at / enter data ) for a database?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Free Database software/Access emulation’ is closed to new replies.