Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Fred Whitton – change of route
  • boxelder

Start and finish in Grasmere, so slightly easier with no climb over Hawkshead Hill to start. Guaranteed entry for me, but undecided – target time no longer valid ( purely a personal goal and not suggesting that anyone else gives that silly £um to charity to ride on roads which are open to the public anyhow, with grumpy roadies……..apparently)

IvanDobski
    Free Member

Is it not the same route but started further round? As I understand it Hawkshead hill will now be climbed much later in the day so you’ll presumably be more tired when you do reach it.

nammynake
    Free Member

I’ll be entering again. If I get a place I hope we have better weather than last year!

boxelder

Grasmere through Ambleside to start.
    Left turn through Elterwater to finish.
    Goes nowhere near Coniston.
    10-15 mins quicker?

nammynake
    Free Member

I’d be interested in knowing how much quicker the new route is. I had a target time of sub-7 hours for the old route and will need to shorten this accordingly.

boxelder

Me too nammynake. May ride the old route on the day, self-timed, as paid last year and couldn’t ride.

bullandbladder
    Free Member

Who cares? Still does the climbs, does it not?

I’m trying it again.

nammynake
    Free Member

Yes still does all the tough climbs. Those who have done it before will usually be looking to better their time and so are interested in the minor route changes.

I’ve done it the past two years – first time my target was simply to finish but the second time I wanted to knock a fair amount off my time. I’d like to go even faster next year.

bones76
    Free Member

Are the entries open now? this is something i have wanted to do for a number of years but always had other things planned so never bothered….

LardLover
    Free Member

My first time last year, just wanted to get round and to climb Hardknot without putting a foot down. Managed both so was cock-a-hoop! Time was rubbish but then as nammynake says, first time must surely just be about getting round?!

Anyway, was looking forward to doing it again this year (if I get a place!) and getting a MUCH better time.

Looks like I’ll have to go back to the ‘just getting round’ ride seeing as it’s a ‘new’ route.

Entry format changed as well, anyone know if they’re accepting group entries online?

LardLover
    Free Member

Entries open 1st Jan…….or they did. They’ve changed to online entries this year.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

I think it’s the 4th Jan for the entry. I think.

nammynake
    Free Member

2012: 10h:26m
    2013: 7h:51m
    2014: ????

ampthill

Will the route for the electronically timed ride open all year be changed as well

boxelder

The change is due to them no longer being able to use the field and ce!ntre in Coniston.
    Timing gear for the 4 seasons ampthill mentions will remain I would think.

postierich
    Free Member

Better start point might even ride it this year on my mtb of course!

LardLover
    Free Member

2013: 9hrs 59mins (inc 60mins trying to warm up at Calder Bridge 😉 )

2014: ??

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Fred Whitton – change of route’ is closed to new replies.