Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • France – which bike
  • BigSteve
    Free Member

I’m off to France for a couple of weeks. 1 week in Saint Macaire-du-Bois which is about 50km South of Angers and the second week in Lavausseau which is around 20km west of Poiters. I’ve been looking, but failed, to find what sort of riding is in either area, other than the Loire Valley – an 800km journey, but not over what sort of terrain.

I’m allowed to take a bike and intend to get out as much as I can, but should I take the road bike or the Cotic Soul. If I can only do roads I’m much more comfortable on the road bike, but if there is a chance of off road riding I’ll take the cotic.

Any one ridden in either area?

atlaz
    Free Member

If you’re unsure about what offroad trails to find, the road bike can’t be a bad choice. Can cover some miles, stop at cafes in small villages and chat with the locals.

mogrim

I’d definitely take the road bike, (massive over-generalisation) the French love roadies.

And atlaz’s points are spot on – roads are a lot easier to find that trails!

yesiamtom
    Free Member

French road riding is twice as good as british! Get it done!

cynic-al
    Free Member

Road probably a safer bet. I love day rides abroad tho.

MrSparkle

Its a shame you haven’t got a cross bike. Ive taken mine with me a few times with 2 pairs of tyres and had pretty much the best of both worlds.

TiRed

Off to France today with three road bikes. Have one extra space for the mountain bike, but the kids would never forgive me…

Flashy
    Free Member

I stay south of Potiers. It’s covered in forests, so has a lot of logging trails. I can cycle almost all off road from my mates house 8 – 10 miles to the next town / Patisserie. Sort of Cotswald type hills. I take a 61″ fixed gear Karate Monkey. Spot on. i have spent up to 7 hours a day without really seeing roads. Although I also borrow 1 of 4 road bikes he keeps over there for road rides, which is great. The French really treat cyclist well. Whatever you take, it’ll be brill….

BigSteve
    Free Member

Thanks all – road bike it is then.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘France – which bike’ is closed to new replies.