Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Frame ideas needed
  • matlockmeat
    Free Member

Currently running a chameleon with fox 140mm travel forks up front.
    I’m planning on buying a new frame and swapping everything over and want to I down the full susser route.

I’m having trouble making my mind up and know I am missing some niche frames I just can’t think of.
    I want something just light enough I pedal up hills and the odd xc ride but with decent descending capabilities.

Frames considered so far are:
    Orange Alpine 160
    Orange 5
    Santa cruz butcher
    Santa cruz heckler
    Lapierre spicy
    Lapierre zesty
    Transition Covert

I’m not feeling the love for any of them that much at the moment.
    Opinions on what you’d choose from the above or better still something that isn’t on the list would be appreciated.

Thanks

Northwind

From that list, Zesty Five or maybe Covert.

But actually, Specialized Stumpjumper Evo.

Bregante

Assuming you intend to keep the 140 forks then only the 5 and the heckler are realistic options as the zesty is not available frame only is it? (if buying new) and arguably both of these would be better with150 forks anyway.

What about a transition bandit, or a Santa cruz nickel if there are any still out there.

Kato

I’ve got a Zesty and I think it’s ace. Not ridden any of the others mind you so I’m a little biased

matlockmeat
    Free Member

Sorry forgot to mention I would upgrade the fork if needs be. Maybe not immediately but within a couple of months.
    Like the idea of a specialized stump jumper FSR. Thanks

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Heckler trumps both Oranges on price a 150mm bike that can be either a light trail bike or alpine beast (300 quid cheaper than a 5 & 500 cheaper than a 160) which gets you a fork upgrade 🙂
    Spicey/Zesty looks very good.
    Santa Cruz’s VPP options of Blur Lt or Nomad should be in there and only 50 quid more than an Alpine.
    Covert looks great and seems to ride well.

After that what about a Rocky Mountain Slayer or Cube Fritz though they be more buy complete and part out the bits you don’t want.

I run a lightly longer eye to eye shock in my heckler – same stroke (from an alpine) which means the geometry at 160 is the same as standard at 150. Nice little touch that beefs up the front without going too rakey.

Time to book on some Demo’s

matlockmeat
    Free Member

Thanks for the info.
    I’ve turned my attention to specialized now.
    Considering either the stumpjumper fsr or the Enduro (air shock) although at 165mm travel this may be a little over kill.

Does anyone know if either of these frames are available as frame only?
    I can’t see that they are which is a bit disappointing. I have all the parts so really can’t justify a new bike.

Northwind

I’m not sure the Specializeds are intended to be sold as frame only but there’s generally a supply of new ones available from places like Bikescene and ebay etc. Warranty replacements, some of them, and I think sometimes possibly it’s ex-warranty stock, ie stuff that Specialized held for warranty jobs but that were never needed.

GaryLake
    Free Member

Heckler trumps both Oranges on price

Only if it fits… very weird sizing on the Hecklers always put me off. I’m only 5’8″ yet looking at the geo I’m somewhere between wanting a L or an XL yet I’d be able to stand over neither of them. The medium is waaay too short…

eyerideit
    Free Member

No list is complete without a…..

chakaping
    Free Member

Mondraker Foxy is under £1k at Merlin.

http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-shop/frame-forks/frames-mtb/mondraker-frames/mondraker-foxy-rr-frame-2012.html

Would be OK with your 140mm fork but could handle more in future.

djbagines
    Free Member

Why not something out of the ordinary, like a Nicolai: http://www.nicolai.net/110-1-Mainpage+Enduro+Trailride.html

djbagines
    Free Member

This is a 140mm – 150mm http://www.nicolai.net/23-1-Helius+AC.html

takisawa2

Not my thang, but the El-Guapo looks good for the money.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Frame ideas needed’ is closed to new replies.