Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Frame for a Laydee…?
  • johnny

I’m looking for an useful tips in getting a better frame for my significant other. She has a nice little hardtail at the moment, but It’s a bit on the heavy side. I’ve gradually upgraded most components as they’ve filtered down from my bikes, so it is well specced with light components, if a little older.

I’m interested in either a racily light hardtail, or a similarly oriented short-travel full suss. I’m fairly familiar with the female-specific models around; something like a SC Juliana or a Scott Spark Contessa would be ideal, but it doesn’t have to be female-specific. As long it was about a 15in frame, with a top tube of around 20inches, it can be engineered.

Any suggestions? Birthday coming up! 😯

organic355
    Free Member

She has a nice little hardtail

but It’s a bit on the heavy side

Chuckle chuckle

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

kyak kyak!

johnny

As a past champion of innuendo, I feel shamed to have missed that one in my post… I would like to reassure readers that [/i]“I’m interested in either a racily light hardtail” is not a veiled enquiry about the availability of athletic ladies on this here forum….

cinnamon_girl

What height is she? What is your budget? Any material preference? What sort of weight do you want the bike to come out at? How much travel?

johnny

She’s about 5’6″, budget is for fairly cheap, (£300 max) No material preferences, 100-120mm travel, and i’m not too fussed about the travel; as light as can be expected with a crossmax wheelset and a mainly SLX groupset+ RF Deus finishing kit

_tom_
    Free Member

May be worth looking into something dirt jump/street oriented if you need a short TT and seat tube. I beleive the Charge Blender is around the size you’re looking for, not sure how heavy it is though and I’m not sure if it has cable stops for a front mech (which could actually be a bit of a problem if looking at these sort of frames thinking about it!)

cinnamon_girl

I would suggest that a 15″ frame may be too small. I’m 5’5″ and ride 16″/small apart from a 14″ Inbred, all my bikes are mens.

For £300 going down the secondhand route would get you a Cotic Soul which is very nice, Rock Lobster (steel) but top tube is quite short, 456 although a bit heavy.

johnny

I did fancy something like a Yeti DJ, as I could then nick it for my own amusement… (It has a front cable stop!) But i’m not sure about weight.

Good to hear about sizing! I will have to check as 16 in frames are always more common second hand. I have a Soul and love it, so it might work.

Anyone heard anything about the kinesis KM-210L? it looks nice on their website.

cinnamon_girl

Had a quick scan on Classifieds, there is a small PA for sale but think this may be heavy?

A friend had a Kenesis (Maxlight?) that she was pleased with. Is the KM the steel one?

RustySpanner

The Rock Lobsters are a lovely frame.
    Quite short (shorter than an Inbred or Soul), lovely neutral handling, beautiful to chuck about the singletrack or take out for an all day blast.

I’ve got the 15 inch steel one (I’m 5 foot 6ish) and my partner has the ali version. She’s roughly the same size and also rides a 15 inch frame. Plenty of standover clearance for both of us.
    Given the choice again, I’d go for the ali one as well:
    Not as comfy on all day epics, but about a pound lighter and can take a bigger rear tyre (2.35 as opposed to a 2.1).

johnny

No, the KM is female specific alu one. it looks nice and the reviews are good: i’m just interested in other options! That PA looks pretty good, i must say….

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Frame for a Laydee…?’ is closed to new replies.