Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Fractured thumb
  • greencubic

After an annoyingly minor crash last week, a couple of trips to hospital, x-rays etc I’ve been put in a pot almost up to my elbow for 2 weeks for a fractured thumb and ligament damage.

Has anyone had a similar type of injury? I imagine its going to be at least 2-3 weeks after the pot comes off to build up some strength before I can get out on the bike again.

Two weeks off work sounds nice, but daytime TV is already causing me to lose brain cells!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Pot for 5-6 weeks the lots of physio. 2 months post was first Road bike, off road 2 1/2 months post with a must not crash at all, then 3 months post I was mostly OK. Still got some issues.

wwaswas

I had a less significant thumb injury than you (no break, ‘just’ soft tissue) – was off the bike for nearly 3 months and was nearly a year before I didn;t get any discomfort around the thumb after riding.

Look at the running threads on here for how to start advice and run off road to keep yourself sane whilst waiting to be able to ride again…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

And sram twisties

seadog101

Wow, well done, thumb bones are the hardest in the body ( so I’ve been told by a Doc who checked out my crushed hand many moons ago), must have been a fair whack to fracture it.

greencubic

Thanks guys, I’ve been planning on doing a bit more running for a while now, this gives me a good reason to start taking it a bit more seriously after the pot comes off I guess.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

With a couple of towels I found I could rest on the bars of the road bike on the trainer. Changing gear was near impossible.

Simon

I smashed my right thumb to pieces in 2012 in Alp D’Huez practicing the Mega course.
    Back in the UK my thumb was plated and screwed back together.
    It was around 3 months before I could mountain bike again.

Adam@BikeWorks
    Free Member

I fractured my (left)thumb and ripped the tendon on top a couple of years back (at Llandegla of all places – I somehow crashed and it got stuck between my front shifter and the bar as the bike went over my head. )
    Didn’t go to A&E for a couple of weeks, until the lack of movement started to concern me. Ended up with a crazy splint to wear overnight for a few weeks and a course of physio, but I didnt have any time off the bike at all, just didn’t use my front shifter.

crispybacon
    Free Member

I fractured the end of my thumb playing football of all things.

My thumb was put in a splint for 6 weeks & when it came off I couldn’t use trigger shifter as the muscle was so weak. After a few weeks exercising my thumb it was good to go.

All in all I was off the bike for 8 weeks. My advice is don’t try to do too much too soon or you will put back your recovery.

On another note second ride back on the bike I crashed into a gorse bush & had to have 3 stitches in my tragus, then 2 rides later some Bint pulled out in front of me & I rode into her passengers door !!!

singletrackmind

6 weeks in cast for me.
    Just tendons ( UCL ) snapped ( twice ) and had to have it repaired to regain any grip.
    rode the turbo every day for around an hour, pot got abit whiffy so kept on spraying deo down it.
    muscle wastage was a small issue, get a squash ball or one of those stress toys for squeezing when the pot comes off. I went roady for a few months as flight deck requires no thumb strength.

prawny

Not a break but I sprained my thumb in a minor crash three weeks ago today. Still not riding properly, went for a pootle with the Mrs today and it was killing the whole way round plus nursing it was hurting my wrist too. Happy days.

Kuco

Done similar broken thumb but the problem was I tore nearly all the ligament off my thumb. Spent night in hospital with the prospect of an operation the following day but they chooses to see if would heal naturally. 6 weeks in a cast going back every 2 weeks for x-rays 18 in total and talk of operating even on the day the cast coming off and then 4 weeks physio twice a week. Ended up with total of 12 weeks off work.

MoreCashThanDash

MrsMC broke a finger in August 2013.

Today she was told it will be another 3-4 months before she will get yet another operation to try and fuse it properly to stop it wobbling and hurting.

Good luck!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Fractured thumb’ is closed to new replies.