Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Fox Transfer Seatpost Service Intervals
  • 26aintdead

Bought the performance series dropper seatpost, fitted about 6 months ago. Still working OK but occasionally slightly hesitant to rise the last inch. Anyhow can’t seem to find any service info on the internet, anybody know of how often the post should be serviced, what needs doing and is it anymore straight forward than a reverb?

legend
    Free Member

That’s a warranty job right there

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I was speaking to mojo silverfish just the other day about this.

They reckon on approx 1 year service interval with normal use.

Moly paste on the keyways, suspension grease for the wiper seal ‘internally’.

strike
    Free Member

Mojo also told me the 2017 posts used slick-honey on the keys which broke down too fast resulting in slight wobble – later posts used a thicker grease (moly paste perhaps, as mentioned above?) and the newer grease is applied during a service to the 2017 posts.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Is it a DIY job or does it require regassing or anything you cant do yourself? Anyone found a service manual?

Mine has got knocked out of the keyways a couple of times and put a load of black grease out the last time.

strike
    Free Member

I don’t think it is DIY – looking at the official Fox guide it seems you need a bushing tool. Take a look and see what you think – I’m usually up for trying DIY but don’t like the idea of screwing up my post. Certainly I’ll be sending my 2017 Transfer to Mojo for it’s 1st service as some 2018 parts will be retro-fitted plus they stated the cartridge gets a lower charge of Nitrogen to give less of a clunk on top-out.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Where’s the fox guide? I’ve never managed to track it down

strike
    Free Member

The bushing tool looks to be the main issue tool-wise. Plus the seal kits don’t appear to include new pins which, I’m told, need replacing if the shaft has too much rotational free-play.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

That looks rather involved and fiddly. Too many warnings about damage and too many tiny parts to drop and lose.

Anyone worked out how these fail yet (ie, point at which they really need a service?)

strike
    Free Member

For me: rotational free-play of the shaft is now audible when the seat/post is unweighted.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Keys are a separate wear item that come in different sizes to allow for manufacturing tolerance and wear of the keyways over the life of the post. So you need some knowledge and experience to put the correct sizes in.

Same with the bushes. I can’t see them adding a variable like that into a seal kit and then having to deal with all the morons complaining about new keys and bushes not reducing rotational play and slop.

strike
    Free Member

The seal kit does include the bushings. RS supply new keys with their Reverb rebuild kits and Fox have a guide section on replacing the keys. I don’t think either are the stumbling block, also bear in mind the bushings are not fitted/sized on a dropper as they are with forks. The tools and their expense are the issue.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

also bear in mind the bushings are not fitted/sized on a dropper

They are in KS Levs.I assume it’s a requirement in others.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Fox Transfer Seatpost Service Intervals’ is closed to new replies.