Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Fox Float fluid vs. Fox Suspension fluid
  • jamesgarbett
    Free Member

What's the difference between these?

Presumably I can use any fork oil rather than Fox suspension fluid?

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I'm not convinced there is any difference, despite what Mojo/Fox might claim. I made a similar enquiry, Mojos line was that you can use fox float fluid to top up your forks (soak the foam rings), but not use it to do a full fluid replacement. They said you have to use Fox suspension fluid for that. It seeemed strange them saying it's ok to mix the oils, so, having to use two different fluids might be a bit of a con, I'm not sure.

eshershore
    Free Member

there is a big difference

Float fluid is very viscious – about 75 weight – designed specifically for lubricating the moving parts (stanchions and bushings)

you can use any suspension fork oil of 7wt or 7.5wt instead of the Fox suspension fluid for the actual damper service

roblerner
    Free Member

"there is a big difference"

+1

float fluid is like treacle, normal sus fluid is much lighter. I use whatever random brand of fluid I find in the legs and float fluid in the air spring/foam rings (but you could use any synthetic ~80wt fluid instead I think).

Limy
    Free Member

Sorry to hijack thread but rather than start a new one i thought i would ask here as its relevant. I am going to service the wiper seals and foam rings on my 36's and wondered which are you supposed to use? Mojo site says float fluid and Fox site says 7wt suspension fluid? I don't want to change the oil just clean and re lube foam rings and wiper seal?

foxyrider
    Free Member

Use float fluid. Article I wrote recently may help :

BTW not all 7 weight oils are the same – they do often have variable viscosity values which can make major differences in the dampening – sometime wanted, sometimes not – I would look for something which has a similar weight and viscosity myself 🙂

Limy
    Free Member

Do you have a link to the article you wrote? Is it on here?

foxyrider
    Free Member

Click the piccy Lim 🙂

anc
    Free Member

Click the pic 😉 too slow… 😳 nice article btw 😉

foxyrider
    Free Member

Cheers anc – only from an amateurs point of view of course – what I do every 15 hours so I have done it a few times on my Talas' now 😉

ph0010421
    Free Member

Good article – bookmarked, thanks

foxyrider
    Free Member

BTW if anyone has any ideas for maintenance articles I'd be happy to hear them – Next one will be "Shimano Ultegra (Hollowtech II) Crank Service" and after that I intend to do a Hope Tech brake bleed article.

I know many know how to do this and there are a fair few articles around but just nice to have them in one place and as many pictures as I can to make them more helpful 🙂

anc
    Free Member

I do mine that way too. 😉 I used to lift the seals but never liked doing it, as there was a risk crud/grit could fall into the void as you lifted the seal making things worse and also the obvious chance of a slip and a scratched stanchion. 😕

Limy
    Free Member

That's a quality article and images. I will have to buy some float fluid the weekend and do that Sunday night after riding.

Cheers.

foxyrider
    Free Member

Some people have used thick gearbox oil on here IIRC but the float fluid lasts ages IMHO – you can buy it from the fox store but I guess you will get it from you LBS to do it on Sunday Limy 😉 ?

KonaTC

foxrider,

thanks for a brill tip on how to clean the foam rings, it will save me trembling with a small screwdriver next to my stantions

foxyrider
    Free Member

No Worries – its the same process as the one on the mojo website but they don't mention cleaning the foams in actual fact 🙂

enfht
    Free Member

Just an honest suggestion but why don't people just use what's recommended instead of assuming they know better and that the fox branded stuff is a rip-off?

By comparison how much does a single tyre cost and how long does it last? I havent run out of the "correct" fox fluids I bought well over a year back. For the sake of 15 quid a shot why even bother experimenting?

I guess treacle may work instead of float fluid so if you have some in the cupboard why not give it a try?

foxyrider
    Free Member

Just to let you know the article is up – sorry big advert not intended 🙂

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Fox Float fluid vs. Fox Suspension fluid’ is closed to new replies.