Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Forum clickbait on threads – fruity pictures
  • Jakester
    Free Member

At the risk of exposing myself to Prescott “Thai-bride”-alike humiliation, since the introduction of the automated ads that appear at the bottom of threads, there are a number of promoted links to threads which involve pics (presumably taken from said threads) of ladies in various states of undress.

For example, at the moments there’s one of Julia Bradbury leaping in the air unburdened by clothes, one of Rachel Atherton in a dress captioning a thread entitled ‘The New Daily Mail’ and one of Victoria Coren-Mitchell looking grumpy whilst dressed as a cat (?).

I’m reasonably comfortable that these aren’t as a result of my browsing history, as I’m at work (and tend to try and steer clear of that sort of thing (’til I get home :wink:) but it can be slightly embarrassing if you’re perusing the forums during the lunch break and people stop to ask why you’re looking at grot at work.

Is this just me (in which case do I need to deep clean my browser :oops:) or does it happen to everyone?

*edit* – For example:

Jakester
    Free Member

And why aren’t the smilies working in my post, either? Harrumph.

fisha
    Free Member

Clear all the browsing data, cookies and caches, then start browsing/searching the likes of amazon, CRC, and looking at a particular type of product ( lights, hats etc ). That should reset the ad tracking, and you’re more likely to see ads relating to what you’ve been searching on amazon appearing.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Nope, I get exactly the same adds.

And f****** Epic f****** TV

And if that jolly bloke sings “get all your gifts at wallmart” one more time I’m going to punch him.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Buy a P for a less than £2.00 per month.

GregMay
    Free Member

*strokes his P*

thomthumb
    Free Member

some of those pictures are from the threads: fair enough…

but some of them aren’t on there at all, obviously the bot has found them somewhere else! not conviced that’s on!

thegreatape
    Free Member

And why aren’t the smilies working in my post, either? Harrumph.

You need to leave a space between the smiley text and your next bit of punctuation, like this 🙂 , not like this :(. (Or even this :roll:)

STATO
    Free Member

Are the mods ready for the impending swamp of inappropriate pictures added to any and all threads so they get used in the adverts 😆

Mark

All those images are from forum threads. Those links are auto generated by Google from pages on the site. If some are no longer visible on the threads that because we’ve removed them and Google’s cache hasn’t caught up yet.

And the reason Google is picking those links in particular is because they are the most looked at pages with the most shares.

The Walmart autoplaying ad is being hunted and will be killed to death with fire when we catch it.

stevomcd
    Free Member

I do find it weird that there are ads for the Singletrack forum on the Singletrack forum. I’m sure there’s logic in there somewhere.

Jakester
    Free Member

And the reason Google is picking those links in particular is because they are the most looked at pages with the most shares.

I wonders why…. 😉

thegreatape
    You need to leave a space between the smiley text and your next bit of punctuation, like this , not like this :(. (Or even this :roll:)

Hmm, I used the buttons rather than the code. I shall look to ensure appropriate spacing in future – ta.

The Walmart autoplaying ad is being hunted and will be killed to death with fire when we catch it.

😀

CountZero

I like the cut of your jib! 😀

Mark

They are not ads Stevo.. Well not in the conventional sense. They are using the same technology as ad targeting in order to highlight other related stories/threads elsewhere on the site. It’s just the same as the lists of related stories you get at the bottom of news stories on sites like the BBC, Guardian et al. The Google widget looks at the current page – decides on certain key words and then matches those to other stories. The point of them is that readers are lead to other related stories on the site, which is good all round for everyone 🙂

Cougar

People still have Flash set to autoplay? How very 20th Century of you.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Forum clickbait on threads – fruity pictures’ is closed to new replies.