Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Fort William WC – take the bikes?
  • jonnym92

Heading up for my first WC at Fort William.. Initially going to do the Fri-Mon, for which accommodation is booked, but thought perhaps we could bring the bikes up early and extend the visit by getting a day or so worth of riding in. I believe the gondola is closed for us mere mortals, including the red trail from the Wednesday.

Since I’ll be driving up from the North West I thought it’d be rude not to sample some of the 7Stanes trails. Was thinking AE, anyone know if the uplift is running? Or should we just head straight to Fort Bill and ride the trails there?

Will be on 160mm full bouncers, obviously more inclined to the downs than the ups.

Anyone else taking (or taken) bikes up with them – is it worth it?

Appreciate any recommendations, also tips for the weekend itself!

Cheers.

Northwind

They reopen the gondola pretty fast the day after; basically as soon as the track is clear and inspected and the woods and big doon closed off. IIRC the red opened first but the WC was back on before lunchtime. It’s pretty nice, riding in the fresh wheeltracks of the world cup, with the grandstand still up. Though the track can be a bit beaten up.

There’s some really good riding in the forest at nevis but it’s not that easy to navigate the more long-travelly, dare I say it #enduro stuff. Mostly just a case of doing the world champs red , maybe the blue crane “secret” descent, and diving down random offpistes as you see them, is how I do it… I don’t know it that well, maybe there’s better ways. Do not, under any circumstances, ride the waymarked 10 Under The Ben route, it is dismal.

I gather they’ve had some sort of insurance setback for Ae uplift and aren’t allowed to carry people in the landrover so I think it’s all cancelled til that’s sorted. (til Tally gets his minibus licence I heard).

Since you’re going quite a long way up, I’d suggest riding stuff further up north- the stanes are much more easily doable as a trip after all. But how often will you be in the highlands?

So- Kinlochleven. Someone called it God’s Trailcentre, I love that. Look up “dudes enduro trails”. Maybe Laggan for a trailcentre. It’s a nice drive from Fort William to Laggan and the Brown trails are awesome. Torridon is still quite a long drive but supposed to be worth it, haven’t been up there yet!

elliott-20
    Free Member

For a number years we’ve thought about taking bikes, but when we get there we’re glad we didn’t. We do Fri to Mon and after 9-10 hours driving all we want to do it grab a beer and eat. And the rest of the weekend get pretty busy quickly so never a great deal of time left to get riding in. Plenty of people taking bikes up there but in our experience, and because we have a long drive there and back, a bike could be a hinderance.

fingerbang
    Free Member

it might be an idea just to cycle up to nevis range and avoid the dreaded park n ride system: I remember in 2007 world champs the park and ride took ages and would much rather cycle up, although you might want to get drunk at nevis range come to think of it.

jonnym92

Yeah I can’t stay after the WC I’m afraid, got to be off otherwise I’d probably stick around and try ride it.

Initial idea was to drive half way up, ride bikes and stop over, ride some more the morning after and then head up to Fort William.

It’s about a 5 & 1/2 hour drive straight to Fort William, around 2ish to AE, so would split the journey up nicely.

Thanks for the options will be looking them up.

duncancallum

I do ae on the way up as do a bunch of my mates, we are also heading north on the monday.

I 2nd Laggen as a goodun!

Dark-Side

I’ll be taking my bike as usual and riding Kinlochleven and Laggan Wolftrax, Drop me a line if you fancy a ride while up there.

bensales
    Free Member

I’ve always taken bikes.

I’ve never ridden them, thanks to spectating and beer drinking.

jonnym92

Hmm it’s between riding up in the highlands or doing something like AE to split the drive up.. Decisions.

Anyone got any recommendations on places to stay near AE/7Stanes?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Fort William WC – take the bikes?’ is closed to new replies.