Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Formula The One 2011 Brakes
  • oscillatewildly
    Free Member

anybody running a set of these? how do they compare to rx’s? or any other brake for that matter, the ones im looking at are the 2011 version…has anybody got any pics of them fitted on the bar? the look snazzy in the generic photo pics, just wondering if they look that good fitted!

geordiemick00
    Free Member

I had them on my Cube Stereo Race and have the RX1’s on my Lapierre and if you can stretch to the One’s then go for them. THey were the most powerful and least trouble free out of any brake I’ve had between RX1’s/Hope M2’s & X1’s and Elixir’s. DON”T expect superstars pads to work well with them though, they’re quite a thin pad and the SS pads trail a bit when new, you can sand them down or just bed them in on bike but I CBA with that hassle. The A2B pads worked well, Goodridge a lot better but pricier

flyingmonkeycorps

They’re monstrously powerful. And mine haven’t broken yet, though I have had rubbing issues with Superstar pads as above.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

cheers, seems they are somehow lighter than the rx version which is odd given the caliper is bigger i think?

what are they like for bleeding? are they easy for someone who has never done them before?

messiah
    Free Member

What I posted on the R1 thread

I have RX on one bike and TH1 on another, both with 180/160 rotors.

For complete AM/DH tomfoolery I found the RX lacking just a bit even with 200/180 rotors, hence the purchase of TH1’s. I tried the TH1’s with 180/160 and it’s all I need on my big bike. Fabulous brakes and not much heavier than R1’s. Some riders report that TH1’s are grabby but I don’t find that… My Hope V2’s were grabby though!

For me on my hardtail the RX are spot on but for a bigger bike taking on big mountains I would go TH1.

I was still on original pads on both brakes until recently when the RX’s gave up – original RX pads can get a bit stinky when you press them hard but the TH1’s do not. Different pads I assume.

I love the one fingerness of the lever and the brilliant modulation of the Formula brakes. I’d love two pairs TH1’s but what I’ve got is perfectly fine 8)

messiah
    Free Member

Weights…

Hope V2 – F = 350g and R = 370g = 720g, and add 200g for each 205 rotor = 1120g
    RX – F = 246g and rear = 250g = 496g and the discs are 85g (160) and 125g (180) = 706g
    Th1 – F 205g and R = 239g = 444g, and the discs are 85g (160) and 125g (180) = 654g

Ignoring adapters and bolts which both need anyway.

The TH1’s have funky gold Alloy Torx bolts which might be a problem.

😳

Gotama
    Free Member

Fwiw my Ones have been fantastic. 2009 vintage, trouble free with oodles of stopping power. Bleeding is straight forward but i’ve found it pays to be patient as you can get some air trapped, however that’s with the older style levers so the new ones may be different.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

what about bleeding the 11 ones anybody? easy enough to do? ive not actually bled brakes before but will defo need to on both of these

messiah
    Free Member
    oscillatewildly
    Free Member

messiah is that where you had them from? he is the same guy too, so thats very good news for me if you have used him before 🙂

wrecker
    Free Member

Ooooooo those RO brakes look niiiice 😀

flyingmonkeycorps

I’ve not had to bleed mine as yet so I can’t comment.

messiah
    Free Member

@ Oscillate Wildly

Yes – Nicholas Fenwick – His email is at the bottom of his item pages on ebay – Send him an email – he had some scratched “seconds” when I was looking 8)

Unless your a total c&*& you can tell him thepimpmessiah sent you 😉

grum
    Free Member

Not bled mine yet either – they are ridiculously powerful though, I’m planning to downsize my rotors as it’s just not necessary for most things.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

cheers guys, any one got any pics of them fitted? wouldnt mind finding out about the bleed process too, as ive defo gotta shorten both hoses, and it comes with 2 hose kits, so dont know whether to do it myself…first time ever mind!

rexated
    Free Member

check bikeradar for a guide on bleeding the ones. i’ve not done it myself yet mind so can’t comment on how easy or not it is.

flyingmonkeycorps

If I remember I’ll take some photos of mine tonight…

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

cheers flyingmonkey! appreciated!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Formula The One 2011 Brakes’ is closed to new replies.