Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)
  • Forget your helmet +solo ride. What would you do?
  • hora
    Free Member

Aye but he was riding and jumping some gnarly shit. As mentioned above if its DH/table top- cleaning stuff then its a given.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

In the end who cares we can chalk it up to darwin. There are not many I fell off not wearing a lid posts…..

rocketman
    Free Member

I would no more forget my crash helmet than I would forget my bike but if I did, I wouldn’t ride.

For me at least it’s not so much the crash protection issue it’s the comfort and convenience. Low flying branches, low sun, clouds of insects, heavy rain/hail it’s great to just duck and and let the helmet brush them aside.

Also works quite well for helmet torches 😉 and somewhere to put my gloves & glasses when I stop

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

In the end who cares we can chalk it up to darwin. There are not many I fell off not wearing a lid posts…..

Ok. I fell off my bike when I was about 12 broke my front teeth clean out and cut my head a little… I didnt die (note to everyone though…because it has here with been spoken about on a forum, your teeth will all die unless you wear a gum shield)

I fell off my bike once and landed on a very hard rock.. My head hurt a bit, but I didnt die.

jam-bo

if you aren’t capable of pootling along without the risk of brain injury then you should probably give up on mountain biking as a hobby.

so I say pootle. feel the wind in your hair. its great…

hora
    Free Member

Thats the funny thing (I say funny with irony) – even with a helmet our jaw/ability to eat and communicate with others can be severely impaired yet we think of wearing a xc lid as safe.

The first thing we tend to do is roll or put an arm out or go off sideways no? I’ve been OTB many times- always into a roll.

JoB
    Free Member

mikewsmith – Member

if i look back at my most serious crashes on a bike i wasn’t wearing a helmet during any of them, and i didn’t hit my head, or die, but that doesn’t make for a sensationalist evangelical argument, but it does provide balance

in answer to the OP i’d simply go for a ride, just like people did in the 100 years or so before helmets and the internet were invented

jam-bo

falling off a bike whilst avoiding injury is a fine skill to have, a lot of people don’t…

barn
    Free Member

pootle and probably ride like a plonker as a result

(loved CTBikemonger’s post)

hora
    Free Member

falling off a bike whilst avoiding injury is a fine skill to have, a lot of people don’t…

I’ve had a lot of practice.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

I’d ride my bike without the helmet, it’s no big deal.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Schurely if you’re riding in a more risky manner just because you’ve got 300 grams of polysterene loosely strapped to your head you’re undoing the marginal safety benefit of wearing a helmet in the first place?

frosty87
    Free Member

I’d partially inflate my spare inner tube and then wrap it round my head.

In the event of an off I should be fine unless I land on thorns!

Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Forget your helmet +solo ride. What would you do?’ is closed to new replies.