Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Ford s-max poss next car – recommend?
  • josh1982
    Free Member

Any user feedback on the s-max? Considering as the next car. 2 kids, wife, dog and occasional grandparents. Need to be moved and loaded.

scaredypants

I had a test drive in one – nice (for a vannish car)

Ended up being made an offer I couldn’t refuse for a similar size peugeot ( 😳 ) so didn’t buy one

Back 2 seats are OK even for adults on shorter journeys but not brilliant for long ones, I’d say
    (the bigger thing – galaxy – has more “proper” seats in the back but is way more of a van)

midlifecrashes

Got one. (2.0TDi Zetec) It works. Got ours with 1800 miles on, just under a year old. Have had issue with DPF filter and one window switch. It’s big. Looks like I’ll be needing new tyres soon (16000 miles ish). Bluetooth on the phone does calls only, not tunes or satnav.

Loads on here have them, there isn’t really a rival to them without going full size, full time 7/8 seater. All the others like Grand scenic/Quasqui+2/Verso are way smaller.

stabilizers

I’ve had my s-max for 4 yrs. No regrets.
    If I had to replace it I would use it as my benchmark as I looked at similar cars.
    There might be better out there now but it would never be a bad choice.

ps44
    Free Member

Yes. Thinking about changing my 4yr/90000mile one for a newer one but there’s nothing wrong with it. Works as people mover, people & bikes mover, people & windsurf gear mover, etc….

Big-Pete
    Free Member

Brilliant, huge in the back, 3 split seats, flat load area and decent 3rd row seats if needed. Push the second row seats back and its like a limo for leg room. I have the 1.8 deisel and its a cracker. Before this I had a BMW 5 estate and V70 and the S Max is miles better for practicality, space and comfort.

Maccachod
    Free Member

Love it , it handles more like a car than the c4,5008, grande scenic that I tried before getting mine.
    Loads of room did France with 5 teenagers and not too much moaning ( had top box too for luggage)
    Mine is the zetec stop start 1600 and is a bit under powered but returns 45 mpg nearly all the time .
    It’s done 30k in just over a year and only prob was a faulty starter relay. Last trip biking to Wales 4 men and bikes ideal.

retro83
    Free Member

if you get one with big wheels the turning circle is dire and the tinted rear windows make parking at night a bittricky. Other than that, seems all good

transporter13
    Free Member

I have the galaxy which is essentially the same but for the higher roofline above the the last row of seats.

I’ve owned mine for 18months now (1.8tdci) and its been brilliant.
    The 3seperate seats make fitting child seats a doddle.
    All the rear seats fold flat to leave enough room to move American style fridge freezers/beds/sofas etc
    Fuel economy is between 48-55 depending on how I drive. That’s based on a 62 mile commute each day consisting of 30 miles dual carriageway and 32miles of B roads.
    Its the only car I’ve ever owned where I’m not looking for my next new one.

You could do a lot worse

takisawa2

Sadly out of our price range when we were buying a few years ago, but pretty sure it will be on our shopping list next time. That said, the older model Galaxy we bought has been brilliant. Swallows bikes whole & upright, well built. Be hard to go back to a regular car for family duties.
    Only mention it because the last of the (basicall the same, just different badge) Seat Alhambra’s look like a lot of car for the money.

Only concern with the S-Max is that TDCi engine, but its probably come a long way since the one that went in the Mk3 Mondeo.

josh1982
    Free Member

Thanks all…………think ill go with it. Was also thinking skoda superb estate but with another sprig on the way (2nd) I fancy the extra room.

Shergie
    Free Member

My old mans currently trying to sell his, with any luck he’ll be along in a minuite with some details.
    Very nice it is too…

tomlevell

Got one this year.
    Went on holiday with 2 child seats/bikes/bike trailer in roof box.
    Ended up putting the bike rack and bikes in the boot on the way home with all the other kit.
    Titanium feels better finished than my top of the range Civic was and does 42-44mpg.
    Only issue so far was a blown fuse that meant windows and interior lights didn’t work.

TomB

When we were looking 3 years ago we narrowed it down to an S-Mmax or Citroen C4 Grand Picasso. For the money we had, the C4 was 2 years newer so went for that and it has been good, minor electic problem notwithstanding (window stuff, sorted under warranty). Apparently not as good a ‘driver’s car’ as the Ford, but not fussed.

shergiemajor
    Free Member

Hi, I am Shergie’s dad and am just selling my 2.2 litre diesel S Max with almost all the extras it’s possible to have. It is a Titanium in Ink Blue Metallic and has done 27,000 miles, First reg was Dec 2009 and it now has a 13 month MOT. Drop me a mail if you are interested and i can let you have the full spec and list of goodies. I am after £15,350, for a £35,000 vehicle when new. I need a quick sale due to new company car arrival. Mail me at mikedshergold@gmail.com

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I’ve been researching them for a while and done a few test drives, they are on my very short list, depending on circumstances. As said, it’s closest you’ll get to a car like drive in large MPV format. Only other issue I’ve considered, not mentioned yet, are the run flat tyres being very expensive (no spare). I guess it’s possible to use normal tyres, 12v compressor and tyre weld stuff.

aka_Gilo
    Free Member

I have a Galaxy 2.0TDci, my niece has an S-Max 2.0TDCi. Both great cars, only thing I’d say about the S-Max is that the lower roof line means the boot opening is quite restrictive, it’s caused ny niece a few problems when trying to move furniture etc.

shergiemajor
    Free Member

I have the 18 inch tyres on mine and have got a puncture from a big screw penetrating the tread whilst on Channel Tunnel (coming back thankfully). Tyre was losing pressure and would be flat in about 20 minutes. I used the electric pump to put pressure back in every 25 miles and drove it from Dover back to Midlands. Important thing was that the hole was able to be repaired as I had not used the self sealing goo in it. Repair cost about £10 instead of £210 for a new tyre. Result!! 😀

MoreCashThanDash

A mate has one – he took our lads off to cub camp the other week, and I was surprised how small the boot seemed even with the rear row of seats folded flat.

If I need to transport stuff I’d sooner have an estate. If I need a 7 seater option I’d look at the Galaxy.

That said, my mate loves his. But he is a Stoke supporter…..

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Ford s-max poss next car – recommend?’ is closed to new replies.