• This topic has 16 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by loum.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Football Fans help me understand (Andy Carroll content)
  • Pigface
    Free Member

I thought the pony tailed Geordie was ok at Anfield.

Why would Brendan Rogers want rid of him, is it to make his mark on the team and dismiss the memory of Kenny Dalgleish. He seemed to be doing ok at the end of the season when people crossed the ball to him.

I don’t get football at all.

loum
    Free Member

You’re reading to much into media speculation.
    Whilst the reports of other clubs being interested in signing AC could be accurate, BR hasn’t said he wants rid of him. And it would be surprising if he did, having not trained with or seen him play yet due to the extended post-euro holidays.
    It’s purely paper talk while there’s no mainstream* sport for folks to write about. Or in short – bollox.

tomhoward

That’s the point, he was ‘OK’. For 30million you’d want more than OK! That and his Anfield carrer didnt exactly start well, what’s to say that wont happen again next season? Currently hes at 1 goal for every 5 apps at Liverpool, was 1 in 3 at Newcastle.

Not that they’ll get anything like what they paid for him…

yossarian
    Free Member

Liverpool have a recent history of buying expensive shite whilst shipping out talent.

Rodgers obviously recognises this and wants shot ASAP.

35million, FFS. Shankly would be turning in his grave.

PrinceJohn

Good bit of business from Liverpool – Carroll + £15,000,000 in the bank account.

weeksy

Assuming it is all correct and true, the reasoning is as follows.

BR plays what’s known as Tiki-Taka football. This is what both Spain and Barca base their style of play upon. whilst BR hasn’t always had players capable of this, he’s still instilled this style of game in all of his teams and play.

Where the media are going is that AC is a big lummox of a striker, whereas Suarez and the new signing Borini are far more in the mould of passing to feet skill type players.

Whether it’s all true or nott, i really wouldn’t like to say, however i have been deeply disappointed with AC’s early play, but admit he found form later in the season, however, he wouldn’t be my choice for a Liverpool player if the world were idylic.

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

Because he’s crap and won’t fit in to the way, and doesn’t have the ability to adapt, to the new manager wants to play. He’ll do ok for a team that lump the ball long, hence why West Ham are keen.

theotherjonv

He’ll do ok for a team that lump the ball long, hence why West Ham Sam Allardyce is keen.

FTFY.

I’m not sure a West Ham fan will technically be a long ball fan, although they did well enough with it last year.

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

Aye fair point, I should have put Allardyce – West Ham have a tradition of keeping the ball on the deck. Big Sam doesn’t!

muggomagic

Because he’s crap and won’t fit in to the way, and doesn’t have the ability to adapt, to the new manager wants to play. He’ll do ok for a team that lump the ball long, hence why West Ham are keen.

Newcastle didn’t play long ball football when he was there and he scored plenty. When you are playing for a side with downing and Kyut on the wing I’m not surprised he didn’t score many. No surprise that his performances improved once Gerrard returned to the side.

Cletus

Wot weeksy said.

Tika taka is very nice to watch but against a determined defence can come unstuck – see Barca versus Inter and Chelsea in recent years.

I support Man City and sometimes we overplay with small players (Aguero, Tevez, Silva) when sometimes a big lump (in our case Dzeko) can offer an alternative.

City have the cash to keep a £27 million player as a bench option (whether he is happy with that is debatable).

Liverpool cannot really keep a £35 million player for the same task.

I think Rodgers may need to be more pragmatic about how Liverpool will play next year – if they try to play like Barca then they may struggle with their current squad (despite having some good forward talent).

hora
    Free Member

Who? Watch Hudds wake up. Championship chamlions 2014 😀

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

muppomagic – according to the beeb website he scored a goal every 3 games for Newcastle. And if my maths is correct he’s scored 47 goals in his career, inc England games. I doubt he’ll ever be prolific but you make a good point about the lack of service he has received at Liverpool. I do think though that he can only play one way – ie, as an old style ‘British centre forward’ putting himself about a bit. Good in the air though 🙂

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I was looking at his stats on the BBC earlier…

3rd highest transfer fee in Premier League history, with that scoring record. What the **** were they smoking?

scaredypants

FWIW, I thought he looked better than any of the other england forwards at eurofiasco – even in terms of first touch

weeksy

I don’t think for a second BR will try and make Liverpool play like Barca, it’s a dream for any team to play in that way, but what he will in theory do is make them play that style, but wihing the scope of their abilities.

He had a terrible lack of service at LFC, that’s not even open to discussion, however for me he als had the touch of an elephant and the skill to go along with it. Pace isn’t in his game and he also seems the sort of player who needs a lot of confidence to excell. However that could be argued about most strikers i admit.

The only point i get a little confused about is that BR is likely to play either Suarez or Borini in a wing position, along with Downing (possibly) or even one of the youngsters like Raheem Sterling, which would of course give the option to put the ball into the box, which is where big AC should come into his own.

The only minor downfall of that… AC isn’t that great in the air. Not unlike the other giant we had, Peter Crouch, who’s heading ability seems to be lacking for a big fella.

All of this said and done.. i don’t think they should sell him.. unless he’s really not anticipated to play and certainly unless Ba comes to Liverpool as part of the transaction. Or Ben Arfa.

loum
    Free Member

Good points weeksy. I reckon the “tiki-taka” is being overplayed by the media too. They will try to keep possession more than they have recently, certainly more than Roy’s teams, but will probably be aiming for more similar in style to Mourinho’s old chelsea than Barca. There’s only one Messi.
    BR signed and played 6’1 Danny Graham as his central striker last season, and spent a lot of time coaching at Chelsea under Mourinho with Drogba as the striker. He knows the benefits of that style of player. Also, Suarez has played his most succesful football for Ajax and Uraguay as a wide left striker in a 433 with a big centre forward. And Borini got most of his games on the right of a 433 at Roma last season (although played central at Swansea).
    I might be completly wrong though, the bookies seem to think he’s going and they don’t usually lose much.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Football Fans help me understand (Andy Carroll content)’ is closed to new replies.