Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • FOOD ON THE BIKE
    Free Member

Hi guys

ive got a 100 mile ride coming up soon and iam trying to work out what food to take with me.

What ive found out so far is that i can exect to use nearly 7000 calories!!

I know that there is no way i can replace that much on the go, but what should i be looking at in the way of drinks, gels, bars and powders?

Thanks

Warren

molgrips
    Free Member

Raspberry and apple Torq bars.

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member
    MrNutt
    Free Member

and there was me thinking someone had dropped a Victoria sponge cake on a cassette.

ourmaninthenorth

Assuming this is on the road, and reasonably steady:

Normal dinner the night before.
    Bowl of porridge in the morning. Maybe some toast.
    80g maltodextrine powder in a 750ml water bottle (x2). Two extra servings.
    2 x gels in back pocket
    Some flapjack.
    A banana.

With that lot you’ll have more than enough energy.

molgrips
    Free Member

With that lot you’ll have more than enough energy.

If you’re a rabbit maybe.

Depends on how well trained for 100 milers you are tho. I’d have 3 torq bars and a camelback with 2-3l in it (depending on the weather) with.. 10 scoops of malto in it.

loddrik
    Free Member

Flapjacks or hobnobs

ourmaninthenorth

If you’re a rabbit maybe.

Really? If you could see me now, you’d know I’m no rabbit..!

I don’t tend to eat until around 40 miles (on a century ride) and if only doing say 60 miles, won’t eat at all. Just drink energy drinks.

The key to longish rides is pacing and eating before you get hungry. Most of all, start on a full stomach..!

MrSmith
    Free Member

I don’t tend to eat until around 40 miles (on a century ride)

but everybody is different. i start eating from the word go.little and often. on the tour of flanders sportive i got through 3 waffles, 5 energy bars, 2 small gels, 1 big gel and a cheese and ham croissant plus 2 nun tablets, about 3 bottles of water and 1 bottle of dilute carb drink (prefer plain water).

if you bimble along you can get away with less but i prefer to get a move on and was riding with some elites/1’2’s. knocked an hour of my previous years time and was flat out for the last 20k, no chance of me doing that on a flapjack and a packet of maltesers.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘FOOD ON THE BIKE’ is closed to new replies.