Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Following owners – worth the faff of switching it back to low?
  • mattjg
    Free Member

First off: Evil haterz, nothing for you to see here, move along now.

I ride my Following in high for Surrey Hills XC, singletrack, trail riding. It rocks. It came in low and that was great but the agility of high is more appropriate for this riding. Once I put it in high it was a no-brainer to keep it for my local rides.

So I have a Wales weekend coming up – an uplift day at BPW (I’ll be riding the reds and blues not getting big air on the blacks) then self propelling around Afan/wherever for a couple of days.

Worth the (minor) faff of switching it to low just for BPW reds? I rode them all on a hardtail a couple of years ago, and had a great day, so there is no way a Following in high is under-biked.

For Afan I’m pretty sure there is even less case for putting it in low, I’m familiar and happy with high, there’s plenty of climbing and nothing very gnarly on the downs anyway.

Very much a FWP, but what do you think? (It’s just an excuse to talk about our bikes really).

thepodge
    Free Member

Is there really that much noticeable difference between high and low?

Maybe do a few BPW runs in one setting then a few in the other, make the call after that

mattjg
    Free Member

Yes there’s quite a difference. 2 bikes in 1.

I’m riding with my mates, they (reasonably) won’t want to wait about while I faff with bike.

jamj1974

I would change it.

Yetiman
    Free Member

^^ Yup, that’s the whole point of having a bike with adjustable geo so I think it would be daft not to change it before you go.

thepodge
    Free Member

I’m not sure how much faff it is but I’d imagine you could do it while waiting for the uplift

Trimix
    Free Member

Does it change the head angle?

I recently did Afan with a XC bike and found its steeper head angle very noticeable compared to my slacker Covert. It was bordering on the scary on descents like Blade. I got down, but had to really shift my weight and pop off the lips on the drops way more than with the slacker Covert.

If its not too much faff Id swop it just to avoid breaking both wrists when it goes wrong 🙂

chakaping
    Free Member

Yeah definitely switch it over, it’ll give you a good opportunity to look for cracks as well.

(sorry, couldn’t resist)

mattjg
    Free Member

> Does it change the head angle?

Yes tho it’s already under 68 degrees in high. Low is just over half a degree slacker.

> Yeah definitely switch it over, it’ll give you a good opportunity to look for cracks as well.

Can’t hear you, fingers in ears LA LA LA LA LA.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Following owners – worth the faff of switching it back to low?’ is closed to new replies.