Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)
  • Flexy SIDS are ruining my life…advice needed.
  • oldgit
    Free Member

I keep waiting for mine to pack in, but seven years down the line they’re still working a treat.
    Lucky pair?
    Mine will probably go from the outside, bits of rust on the legs, wear from various brake cable arrangements and some blistering on the lowers.
    I always use the lock out at the start of races and always keep an eye on the pressure rather than wait until it feels like it needs sorting.
    I remember Rockshox at Sandwell prepping peoples forks for free pre race. Mine were like rigids afterwards!

flange
    Free Member

Having spoken to TF, they say that running the lock-out can speed up the rate at which the fork ‘twists’. This is because they have all the damping gubbins in one leg and as such when locked out, one leg is damped and the other isn’t. Which makes sense.

It doesn’t make sense on mine however, as I never lock them out….

amedias
    Free Member

to be fair, unless they have actually inspected your forks their opinion is just that a (very well informed) opinion.

But then I’ve also had telephone and email opinions from TF and Mojo that suggested a £300 – 400 fix for some damaged fox’s that turned out to be a £30 job…

the facts as we know them based on your info so far:

1> your tyre hits your fork, this should not happen.

that’s basically it!

Until you’ve properly been through inspection and process of elimination of all factors by swapping out/trying alternatives ie:wheels (rim, hub, spokes all under suspicion), fork swap/comapre with friend etc.

ac282

Either way it is hocking design. I’m on my third set of lowers now. I don’t think being labelled as XC forks is an excuse. If you look at world cup xc it not all smooth.

vdubber67
    Free Member

My 2008 SIDs have got twisted lowers. It’s happened progressively, and now they rub when I stand to climb. It’s on my old race bike, now training bike, so I’m being cheap and putting rigid carbons on.

flange
    Free Member

All fair points – I’m like that bloke in the fast show that can’t make a decision on my own…

I’m totally lost now. So what forks for a slow XC racer who can’t make up his mind….

flange
    Free Member

Right – panic over, order some Magura Durins or whatever they’re called. I just can’t get excited about forks, at all. They’re dull!

mboy
    Free Member

Did you try a stiffer wheel first? It may just have been that your current wheel needed a good true up…

Quite surprised to hear about just how flexy these SID’s are! Makes me glad I decided to go for Reba’s in the end, though I suppose if you’re buying a 15mm axle version then I doubt they suffer from the same problem.

Alejandro
    Free Member

Magura Durins. Or any other RS fork other than a SID will work, such as a high-end Reba.

ChrisF
    Free Member

I had twisted lowers on my SID WC forks, TF tuned replaced the lowers with some SID XX ones under warranty (1 year old). A couple of rides on and they are starting to twist again.

If the wheel is nearer one stanchion than the other, take the wheel out, flip it over and put it back in, if the same happens, you have twisted lowers.

flange
    Free Member

Mboy – well, I did sort of. I stuck another wheel in and it too was off to the left by a fair margin. At that point I thought what’s the point in throwing good money after bad and bought the Maguras. The benefit is that they’ll match my new MT8’s so I look factory…ahem

I think the twisted lowers is more of an issue than they’re letting on. The annoying thing is that I thought about buying bolt-thru lowers for them (£220 if anyones interested) but they only come in the 120mm setting and won’t work with anything less.

What’s also interesting is the lack of new 26 XC forks you can get hold of now. 29ers you’re laughing, 26 and you’re stuck with a much smaller choice…

Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘Flexy SIDS are ruining my life…advice needed.’ is closed to new replies.