Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • fixie or single speed
  • tpbiker
    Free Member

Just bought myself a cheapo runaround to get the 4 miles to my gym in the summer evenings. It has a flip flop hub so i can go fixed if i want.

How hard is fixie riding though, will i die? Do i still need brakes etc etc?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

How skinny are your sister’s jeans?

lunge

Fixed. I just can;t get on with SS on the road, fixed however does work in a slightly sadistic kind of way.

tpbiker
    Free Member

How skinny are your sister’s jeans?

you jest but you should see the bike! its the most hipster thing i’ve ever seen in my life

pics here

will i get away with wearing shorts on that?

soobalias
    Free Member

got any big hills?
    if not, fixed.

soobalias
    Free Member

^nice that, put some mudguards on it.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Give the fixie a go just for a laugh. Beware of ground clearance around corners or picking up too much speed downhill

kcal

it’s a lot more involving than SS on the road. I kind of like it in a perverse sort of way – and, like SS, for certain ride profiles it’s pretty quick. Just don’t pause and admire the scenery and forget to pedal. Ahem.

I do find brakes handy. You may be less bothered..

oldnpastit

Fixed, ‘cos the freewheel on that bike isn’t going to last long before it starts falling apart.

simondbarnes

I can’t stand singlespeed on the road, fixed is much nicer. And keep brakes.

tpbiker
    Free Member

whats wrong with the freewheel on that bike?

mtbfix

Fixed and a front brake. Simplicity itself.

BigJohn

I enjoy fixed for my shopping/pub bike. I’ve even got used to using flat pedals which makes the steep downhills no problem – just take your feet off.

I have a front brake, because when the back cable snapped it’s got such an old pear shaped nipple it was hard to replace.

The bike is about 40 years old, but I’ve been riding fixed for more than that so it’s not a hipster thing. More of a replacement hipster thing.

brooess
    Free Member

whats wrong with the freewheel on that bike?

£300 for a full bike means they’ve skimped on the parts.
    I had a Shimano freewheel on my singlespeed (cost £30) which lasted about 6 months. I replaced it with £80 worth of Whites Industries which is still going strong after zero maintenance about 3 years later…

If it has a flip flop hub then find a quiet street and play about with fixed and see how you get on with it. IME it’s personal preference more than anything.
    Fixed has its benefits (low maintenance for e.g.) and it’s downsides (takes skill and alertness to ride in traffic, can have serious consequences if you forget to stop pedalling, the chain comes off when riding or losing your finger if you stick it anywhere near the chainring or cog when cleaning/doing maintenance)

Give it a go in a safe environment and see how you feel…

cp

I ride SS MTB, love it

I’ve ridden SS road, hated it. Uninvolving.

Fixed road… Brilliant. Completely different feel to SS road. You feel everything and think a lot about position and speed etc.

I like brakes… I use road drop bars.

shermer75
    Free Member

I love riding fixed. Keep the front brake at least! Also be prepared to be thrown on to the top tube at least once 😉

scaredypants

will i get away with wearing shorts on that?

tweed plus fours (and a waxed moustache), I think would be OK

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘fixie or single speed’ is closed to new replies.