Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • five Ten shoe covers – home adapted – anyone else?
  • dogmatix

[url=https://flic.kr/p/P8VP1m]IMG_1428[/url] by olney_684, on Flickr

Tested these puppies out last night for the first time. Seemed to work ok. The Tenn shoe covers seemed good for the job as they are cheap and have a double toe kind of thing that you can cut to make more space and are still well stiched. Tired of destroying expensive five tens in the wet. I stitched/pegged back some of the material to open up the hole and try to keep out fo the way of pins.

In my research I saw a post from a year or so ago of someone doing a similar thing, anyone else done this?

legend
    Free Member

That looks terrible to me, I’d have as much pedal on the overshoe as I would on the sole of the shoe itself. Would imagine the overshoe would just be torn to pieces in no time (assuming it has some grip)

benp1

Agreed, the neoprene is smack in the way of the pedals gripping the grippy soles?!

mcnultycop

My mate just gaffer tapes carrier bags round his feet.

I just put merino socks in Dexshell or Sealskinz socks, accept that my Teva Links will get wet and that after a while some water will sneak in the top of the socks, but if I get wet at least I stay warm.

I’ve got two pairs of Links too (just, they are old and battered) so whilst one pair is drying I can ride in the other.

jeffl

Used some Planet-X neoprene overshoes on my flat shoes. Found they were a bit tight but managed to squeeze them on. I run a size 11 shoe, what size shoes and overshoes are you using here dogmatix?

The Planet-X one’s lasted about a year of commuting and winter riding. The main thing that killed them wasn’t the pins on the pedals but the hike-a-biking and any walking that happened.

dogmatix

Not sure if its the angle of the image but the right area is exposed for me. The centre neoprene is in the arch of my foot. I had no issues at all. Grip was just the same. I’ll see after a few more rides. very easy to pin back a bit further If I need to. They did come out bone dry.

Paul@RTW
    Free Member

Guess it depends on how you ride flat pedals. I personally switch between ball and arch and anywhere in between depending on the terrain and what I’m doing. Sometimes I even use my shin.

I think that set up would tear up too quickly for me but it’s interesting – wonder if there’s a way to expose the sole but keep a seal around the edge – probably not without it slipping all the time.

legend
    Free Member

Paul@RTW – Member

Guess it depends on how you ride flat pedals. I personally switch between ball and arch and anywhere in between depending on the terrain and what I’m doing.

Yup, spend most of my time somewhere in between ball and arch. Eg:

but with none of the style/skill/speed

Paul@RTW
    Free Member

Just edit out that final line qualifier, I just figured that was a picture of you until I read that bit.

<whispers> No one will ever know </whispers>

dogmatix

agree does depend how you place your foot. I tend to have my toes just over the front. But as I say I might pull the middle bit back a tad. You could cut the middle bit out and use thinner ties, maybe… or velcro around the edge. I preferred this, as i can keep the neoprene away from the edge up front.

jeffl do you still have your planet x ones. Would be interested in seeing your take. I got size 12 to fit over size 10 shoe.

I might pop and update on here in a couple of month to see how shredded they got 😀

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘five Ten shoe covers – home adapted – anyone else?’ is closed to new replies.