Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Five Ten Impact VXi Clipless or shimano am9
  • tall_martin

Hi,

Its time to replace my 8 year old shimano am45’s

I’ve bought the 5 10’s as they were a better fit in the shop.

Fitted Cleats to them and the Cleats protrude below the sole.

As i’ve bought these for rides that involve pushing- lakes- peaks- dh days with out uplifts, should i go back and swap them for the am9?

Any thoughts?

Cheers

JackHammer

I had am45s and now have am9s. They’re a much lighter, less bulky shoe. Being lighter they also dry out a bit quicker. The grip on the bottom is much grippier than the rubber on the am45s for pushing up trails or if you have wider platform clipless pedals, or whatever. The velcro straps and stuff are bit more fiddly than just the tongue flap that the am45s had.

They’re also a lot cheaper than 5 10s. I haven’t tried the 5 10s though so cant offer a direct comparison sorry.

I like my am9s and would buy again.

tall_martin

Cheers!

tall_martin

An update to this.

After 7 months:

The soles of the 5 10’s have come unstuck from the uppers

The soles have half worn through where my pedals rub next to the Cleats.

Disappointing. I’ve taken them back to the shop I bought them from who think I will get a credit note or replacement. I’m going for a credit note and a pair of am9’s

SirHC

Would recommend 2fo cliplites, very impressed. 18months on mine (2000+ miles) and they are still in one piece with no holes/damage.

tall_martin

Are the specalized any good at keeping the water out?

Not deluges or full rain, but general puddle splashes? The Lace Cover on my old shimano ones was good at keeping the odd splash out of the shoes.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Five Ten Impact VXi Clipless or shimano am9’ is closed to new replies.