Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • fitting a shimano HTII BB how tight is 50 nm then???
  • Wookster

So how tight do I need to put these in then sorry no torque wrench yet!

paulosoxo
    Free Member

3 fingers tight for me

goog
    Free Member

this tight

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

50nm – think a 5 kg weight on the end of a m long lever. for a rough guide measure your spanner – divide into a m IE a 20 cm long spanner goes into 1 m 5 x. thus you need 5×5 =25 kg weight on a 20 cm spammer. or 1/3 / 1/4 your body weight?

Or somewhere about real damn tight on the sheldon Brown scale

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

1)Till you snap your spanner and tw4t your hand on the frame or floor or both.

2) Repeat 1) on the other side with a new spanner and use the same broken hand as it would be more re-assuring for ME. 😳

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

3) Next question is “Int milk brilliant” 😳

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

b**********d tight, your not going to strip your BB threads!

I am not responsible if you soemhow manage that!

bristolbiker
    Free Member

If it’s for the pinch bolts that hold on the non-drive side arm, then be careful as the bolts are very short, the forging is quite soft…. and the first one I ever fitted I stripped the thread under, what my highly calibrated hand, thought was a very low torque indeed.

Replaced the standard shimano items with longer stainless steel bolts so they use all of the available thread in the arms and can now do them up as tight as I like/am able. Simples.

D0NK

Well I used to do square taper BBs up “Well B@strd tight” and then wondered 18months later why I had trouble getting them out, I now do BBs up “pretty tight” (both internal BBs and external cups) and don’t shred my knuckles trying to get them out later.

hilldodger
    Free Member

A bit tighter that ‘yorkshireman’ but not as tight as ‘scotchman’
    😉

mugsys_m8

if HTII BB PINCH BOLTS rather than BB CUPS then I think you’ll find it’s 5nm not 50nm….

NOT having a torque wrench has probably just saved your chainset!

Wookster

thanks chap yes its the actual bb I’m putting in to the frame mugsys!!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

cups – go to town on them, unless you’ve got some very lightweight alloy frame with the worlds shallowest threads.

Preload – untill it stops moving with 2 fingers and thumb,

pinch bolts – small end of an allen key finger tight, then the other, then the first one again untill theyr both tight. Then another 1/6th turn.

Wookster

Thanks Thisisnotaspoon its going in a five so I reckon I’ll be ok!! thanks for the help chaps!

Smee
    Free Member

Like everything else on the bike and every other bolt in existance it needs to be nipped up, no more, no less.

Dibbs
    Free Member

if HTII BB PINCH BOLTS rather than BB CUPS then I think you’ll find it’s 5nm not 50nm….

XTR pinch bolts should be 10-15nM,(tighter than you would think). I would expect others to be similar.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

cups – go to town on them

Ah, I’d been warned not to do this to avoid side-loading the bearings which may cause premature wear. The worn-out factory fitted ones I took off were just nipped-up so I just copied that.

Sorry

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘fitting a shimano HTII BB how tight is 50 nm then???’ is closed to new replies.