Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • First visit to a BMX park
  • thegman67

A few of us are going to the indoor park and hiring bikes,any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated as I have never been on a bmx bike before

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Film it and report back for a thorough and in depth critique of EVERYTHING.

konabunny
    Free Member

…beginning with your camera technique 😀

pondo

Used to race back in the 80s, was crap but enjoyed it. Revisited it when Redditch reopened a few years back – holy cow, that game has moved on somewhat…

qwerty
    Free Member

Don’t hog the bowl, keep out of other riders lines, start small, pump, have fun.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

dental insurance?

TheBrick
    Free Member

Short runs is the way don’t hog a ramp. Keep out of way when stopping. Keep an eye out when dropping in for people trying big lines starting from miles away.

scruff
    Free Member

Take out anyone over 10 years old on a scooter, they need to learn scooters are unacceptable.

Coyote
    Free Member

^True^

qwerty
    Free Member

^ ah yea, kidz on skooterz, they take lines bikes don’t, randomly, unpredictably & without looking, beware!

alishand

I assume you mean a skatepark?

Start by just sessioning small obstacles to get the feel of the bike. The first time on a BMX will feel very strange, and probably quite wobbly if coming over from a MTB. If its an indoor park (wood) the chances are your bike will also feel very slidy, so try and scope out how much grip you have at the start.

I’d say for a first time the main things you want to concentrate on are the feel of the bike, bunny hopping, and dropping in from flat banks first, then quarter pipes with coping next. Look at what other people are doing, and ask for tips – people are usually very helpful.

Also, take a few minutes to look at what other lines people are taking around the Park and follow suit / take note. you’ll quickly see what groups are sessioning what area / feature, and see what lines they are taking to get there.

The main thing is to just chill out, and take your turn when it comes. If it’s busy you can honestly do more sitting around waiting and chatting than actually riding, its just the way things go.

Pretty much the number one rule is to always wait until its clear to go, so as to ensure you don’t take someone else out or someone takes you out. It WILL happen eventually, but by being vigilant and courteous you can try and make sure it doesn’t happen often!

Skateparks are a mine field of etiquette, but they are a whole heap of fun at the same time! Enjoy!

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Understand the etiquette

But most importantly have fun and enjoy yourself.

thegman67

Thanks for the info guys

VanHalen

dropping in and airing a quarter is scary.

I’ll quite happly huck/drop into stupid crap in teh woods but when faced with a smooth concrete bowl i’m a wimpering mess of scared.

rocketman
    Free Member

Pre-teens will ask you how much your bike cost and make an offer for your spokes

Stevet1
    Free Member

Pedal as fast as you can at the biggest quarter pipe there to get a feel for your bike.
    🙂

Just dropping in to a quarter is scary at first, the initial technique that will work is ride along roughly parallel to it then turn in at about 45 degrees over the coping, your back wheel will follow. Don’t be afraid to get over the front wheel or you risk it washing out. Don’t brake, or hesitate.

Which skatepark are you going to?

wilko1999
    Free Member

Yeah to start with I just rolled in as Stevet1 said, but after a few sessions I learnt to hop smoothly into the ramp, like what da kidz were all doing. jeez talk about pick up speed quick. Amazing feeling. Only trouble is what to do when you get to the other side 😉

mrsfry
    Free Member

If using your phones, please film in landscape mode.

PS

If possible film the part where someone dislocates something or bangs there
    bits on the top-tube 🙂

RobHilton
    Free Member

Do you have a full face helmet? You should wear it.

Euro
    Free Member

any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated as I have never been on a bmx bike before

Quite important that emboldened bit. OP, please don’t try riding into a quarter pipe from the top. It’s not really something you will do with any success* as a first timer. Unless the guys on here are getting confused between a Q-pipe and a mini ramp (Q pipe is likely 8-10’+ and goes to vert – mini can be anything from 3-8 and nowhere near vert).

*success as in not busting yourself big time!

thegman67

Zone 74 in East Kilbride

donks
    Free Member

Never risen a bmx before eh…. Well unless you have mad skills then tbh I reckon you’ll do well just to ride around let alone do anything or really ride any of the features. Took me a week just to get used to riding the silly little thing after riding an mtb for years.
    After about a year of riding I was about as good as some of the 10 year olds at the skate park…. (Manuals, hop manuals, 180 and sketchy 360,s) The proper teen agers were a different class to me and I could only watch in awe at the riding. Also worth going early as it can get very busy and when you see the shit some of them do you’ll feel like a right numpty.
    Good luck… Enjoy

mrsfry
    Free Member

Like a boss.

PS

Pics from A&E as well please 🙂

chipsngravy
    Free Member

Just roll around and get used to the bike and park. Take it from there. Have fun.

If you’re over 30 maybe try a silver surfer session.

Looking at pics/vids of zone 74 they’ll be plenty of mellow stuff to play on.

Scotland has some amazing skateparks. I’m very envious.

orena45

Rob Hilton – Member
    Do you have a full face helmet? You should wear it.

Pfft. This is BMX. Not DH. Everyone knows you don’t wear a helmet for BMX!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘First visit to a BMX park’ is closed to new replies.