Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • First post and he already wants something
  • gauss1777
    Free Member

Hello Everyone,

I’ve been reading & enjoying the forum for a good while now, but I’ve signed up today hoping for some advice.
    In a moment of weakness recently, due to an enforced ‘one in – one out’ house policy, I gave away my mountain bike and am now looking to buy another.
    I’m looking for a bike somewhat like my previous rockhoppers – comfortable to ride all day, over places like the Pentlands or Glentress blue/red. Being a cowardy custard though, the wheels are unlikely to leave the ground.

At the moment I am considering a Marin Nail Trail 7.7 27.5 for £1000
    Deore 615 brakes, slx front, Xt rear, reba fork 100mm, 2×10

So, (after all that) the questions are:
    Has anyone tried/got one of these and what do they think?
    Would it be a reasonably good bike for someone with little skill or ambition to do owt hardcore?
    What other bikes should I consider?
    At 5′ 10″+ should I get the 19″ med or 20.5″ large?

Apologies for such a long, demanding and rather dull first post.

wallop

Size – most likely the 19″ but always try before you buy!

Mackem

19″ or 17.5″ Im 5’10” and prefer the smaller. But as above try first.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

19″ is a large medium so probably the best one for you. You’ll struggle to move on the bike with a 20.5.

gauss1777
    Free Member

Thanks both for your thoughts. As you say I will try first; however, I’ve only sat on the 19″ as yet. It felt fine, but I usually sit between a medium and large and it can take me several hundred miles to decide that something isn’t quite right – twice round the block outside a shop and nearly every bike I try feels great unfortunately 🙁

Does anyone have any experience of a 2015 Nail Trail 27.5?

Thoughts on Marin as a brand nowadays?

Thoughts on the spec for a £1000 bike?

Again, thanks for any advice.

rOcKeTdOg

What size was the bike you sold? Did it feel right? If so buy similar size, if it felt too big or too small adjust new bike size accordingly

gauss1777
    Free Member

@rocketdOg thanks – it was a 19″ large rockhopper, which was a tad big – I think as you say though, a bit of adjustment and it would have fitted perfectly. I’ll attempt to try both today.

I cannot decide what to make of the lack of thoughts on the bike itself. Is it due to it being a bit of a ‘dull’ bike? – that might suit me, but I’m a bit wary of buying a stinker, when I’d not considered what everyone else would regard as a great bike. (Or perhaps it’s just a dull subject and most people are asleep?)

z1ppy

Sizing is a very difficult thing to judge, because unless you ridden something bigger/smaller than fits, it not easy to judge what actually feel right until you half a dozen rides in IMO. The guides you get are just that guides, not a one size fits all bible, as what feel right doesn’t always agree. What size stem do you currently have and where is your saddle positioned? (right forward, right backward – seat rails vs seatpost position)
    If you have a long stem and seat pushed all the way back on the rails, it might be worth sizing up.. though this also assumes that the ETT’s (one measurement that really shouldn’t be used alone, but for a simple explanation, it’ll do) are similar from your old to new bike.

PS: I went from a large to an XL size this time, now have the seat sat in the middle above the seat post and not pushed all the way back on it’s rails & a nice short stem, so it responds quickly…

shifter
    Free Member

Used to see loads of Marins about, now rarely see one. That’s why no-one’s commenting Gauss. Spec sounds ok…

boxelder

It’s an Al hardtail, built to a price point. They are all pretty similar – if you like the look ans it fits, what matter who ‘makes’ it. The forks and wheels are key, then the brakes/drivetrain. It sounds very good value and Marin have good after sales support. Go for it, though what do Whyte offer at similar price?

belugabob
    Free Member

Can I just point out that there is more to bike sizing than your height. Leg length, arm length, bike manufacturer’s take on what constitutes a 19″ (or, in some cases, ‘large’) and then there is style of riding – bimbling or full on.
    You really need to sit on the bike or, preferably, go for a test ride.

AlasdairMc

If you’re set on a Marin, the 2016 Pine Mountain looks brilliant for the price. 27.5+, rigid, and you really don’t need suspension for the Pentlands or Glentress if you’re running big tyres.

I personally ride a Stooge which is perhaps slightly more expensive but I reckon £1200 for a full build of the steel is doable if you shop around. 1×10 suits me perfectly. You’re welcome to try mine for size.

gauss1777
    Free Member

Well I’d written a post thanking everyone for their help in my decision.., left the page,came back and my text had disappeared- is that usual?

Anyway, in short – thanks everyone. I went into LBS today, tried the 7.6 but didn’t like the xc32 fork, was wavering over actually going to the top of my budget essentially an extra £300 for me to get the reba fork and then a friend found it cheaper online and LBS price matched. Hence, I have a new bike! 🙂

@AlasdairMc – you could well be right. I didn’t read your post until after I’d bought the bike; maybe that’s just as well as I’d probably be thinking it all over again. Anyway, thanks for your generous offer.
    In the same spirit, if anyone in Edinburgh fancies a shot on a 17.5″ in a week or sos time, let me know 😉

You just can’t beat that new bike feeling!

deepreddave
    Free Member

Congrats. My decision making is usually a lot slower following excessive amounts of indecision inducing research!

Euro
    Free Member

If it rides like my old Marin hardtail, it’ll be a strong and versatile hoot. You appear to owe your mate a beer. Enjoy 😀

gauss1777
    Free Member

@deepreddave I have a strange habit of umming and arghing over small purchases and then making snap decisions over large ones. I have actually spent a reasonable amount of time thinking about what I required, the Nail Trail was the first I saw to fit the bill.

@Euro I’m quite excited to get out on it. Managed to get a celebratory coffee after purchase, although I can’t decide if my mate saved me £120 or cost me £880? 😉

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘First post and he already wants something’ is closed to new replies.