Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • First motorbike, first ride, first crash
  • anagallis_arvensis

Excuse me for a moment ****, ****, ****, ****.

Feel better now.

Luckily I'm fine. A car was indicaqting left so I went to go, it didnt turn left so I stopped (still behind the line, but the muppet behind didnt. I did chuckle when the guy on the motorbike behind the car turned out to be a copper though!

Hairychested
    Free Member

Glad you're fine, staying on is more fun though 😉

adeward
    Free Member

as an motorcycle instructor ,, i always told new riders never pull out even if they are indicating ,, until they are at least commited and turning,,,,, and make eye contact with the driver,,,

assume they have just left their indicator on , !

glad you are ok and still with us many arn't

anagallis_arvensis

Yeah, obviously should have just waited but the car indicated then cancelled the indicator and went straight on and I still stopped before the line so I hadnt really got going. God knows what the bloke behind was looking at though as if I hadnt stopped he'd have t-boned the car going straight on anyway. Luckily as the bike went down I hopped off but it makes you think how easy it would be to snap an ankle if you tried to save it.

The whole eye contact thing seems strange coming from a bicycle as people dont seem to look you in the eye like they do when your face isnt covered.

Pigface
    Free Member

How is the bike?

anagallis_arvensis

Bike seems not too bad handlebars are bent, centre stand bent and non driveside rear wheel bolt which looks like it took the impact is sheared. Hopefully the frame aint bent but it wouldnt suprise me.

Drillski
    Free Member

what bike?

Smee
    Free Member

The guy behind thought you had gone, so was busy looking for their own gap. Muppets do that.

As for the indicator thing – dont trust indicators, speed and position are what tells you where they're going.

It's good that you're ok though.

solamanda
    Free Member

Bad luck, get it checked out properly, don't let an insurer fob you off.

I'm a heavy motorbike user and have had 4 near rear crash incidents, ie: was stationary and had to pull away off the road/path of a car skidding at/past me that would have definitely hit me in the rear.

I can't think of a way you could have possibly avoided your incident but take this into account. Personally I don't drop a bike out of gear till I have several stationary cars behind, always have an escape plan and try to commit to manoeuvres where this wouldn't work.

Once it's settled assess the incident and think of any possible way you could have avoided it. Unfortunately, no matter who is to blame, the priority is always avoiding being in any accident on a bike. You've just learnt the number one rule of motorbikes, if a car can knock you off, it will.

Jamie
    Free Member

On the day after passing my test i got flashed my a speed camera and then crashed. Its a rite of passage 😉

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Good to hear you are ok, good to get the first one out of the way.
    You will fall off/crash again so just try to be ready and remember when you are on your motorbike everyone else on the road is trying to kill you, all the time, always – then you'll be ok!!
    Welcome to the wonderful world of motorcycling giddiness.

crazyjohnyblows
    Free Member

my mate crashed his bike at 70mph on a road between northallerton and thirsk (quite str8 n fast) i think he is only allive because of the str8nesss of the road allowed him to come to a stop slowly…but he is lucky to be breathing and cant remeber the accident… motor bikes scare me… even if ur not in the wrong on one ur still the worst of usually.

Onzadog
    Free Member

When i was a motorcycle instructor (how many of us are there on here) I used to point out the students that a flashing idicator tells you one thing and one thing only…the bulb works.

5thElefant
    Free Member

My wife constantly points out people are indicating. I never pay any attention. Don't trust anyone when you're on a bike. In fact, assume they're actively trying to kill you.

dontgetoutenough
    Free Member

glad you got away from that, its been many years since ive had a motorbike, shortly before i gave that up i had a near nasty one

it was in south africa, durban, a road behind the university, i was going flat out on my 2 stroke 175 and a car stopped at a T junction, both my lanes were full and fast, he seen a gap and took it, next thing i know i was full on the brakes looking at the tar, and then, was sitting on my arse staring at an exhaust pipe, i managed to shift myself putting my shoulder through the windscreen and bouncing over the rest, the bike yamaha IT175 left a tyre mark above the passengers side roof on the car

the frame was clean snapped in 2 places and the forks were bent about 30"

the driver was uninsured, had a fake licence, and there was a young girl in the back, still remenber that screaming today

i was fine, but the best part, i managed to get another frame, the frame number was only 1 diget out from original, great, still, i sold it and would not go on the roads with another, here or sa, there's far to much comfort in 4 wheels

dontgetoutenough
    Free Member

and when iwent to pick the thing up the b"""""rds had stole the indicators and battery from it

martinxyz
    Free Member

"you will fall off and crash again"

Ive been getting all this negativity drummed into me from day one of motorcycling and im starting to wonder if too much of it will actually cause a freekin accident due to a lack of confidence brought on by others around me!

yes,keeping an eye open and yer wits about you is great along with doing as much as you can to stay on the bike.but to be saying (not just you,roger.magazines etc too) things like "you will crash,be hit or fall off… its only a matter of time" just isnt the way to put it to new riders.

No,dont jump down my throat JUST yet.bear with me.you have to admit that if we said to someone on here asking for advice on mtb riding technique we would say something along the lines of "go into a descent or steep drop all confident then you will most likely get through it better than if you went into it with the fear" ..wouldnt you agree? So between mtb and motorcycling, why change the attitude right around when we need as much confidence as we can get when the speeds are averaging 3 times higher and its cars and trucks that might be slapping us,not trees?!

lets get the confidence and GIVE the confidence. its possible, and possible to do it as well as getting the alertness/safety points across also.

speaker2animals

Well my mate spent most of last evening in Macc A & E following his mbike "accident". Some turf driving a flat bed truck drove him off the road as he overtook it. He made eye contact through truck mirror and as he came alnogside the driver pulled across the road and forced my mate off then obviously kept going. Couple witnesses but no reg. Attempted murder? Bloody well is in my book! To say I furious is an understatement.

He's pretty banged up and has a broken wrist that may need surgery.

Would like to feel shocked by the drivers actions but on both my push bikes and motorbike, sad to say this type of thing is rare but not that rare.

From what my mate said police hardly seemed overly concerned either.

Aaaaaargh!

racefaceec90

before i took my full test in 1992,i slid off on a corner(black ice)and nearly went under a car coming the other way.luckily i was only doing around 10mph,(was more worried about the damage done to my tutors yamaha 100cc m/c).i still passed though. 😀

gusamc
    Free Member

Glad to hear you're ok, and that you had a good witness.

On my 17th birthday, and first legal day on the road, I performed a T bone forward roll over the roof of a Fiat 124 coming out of the local hospital. Unable to walk (shock mainly) I crawled to front of car and got number (which I still remember 33 years later) and then (as my mum worked at the hospital) I very politely refused to leave the scene till either the police or my dad arrived. When dad arrived I had my arms locked around the hospital gate and 3 nurses were trying to drag me into the hospital.
    When I have a bath I can still see the tiny knee scars, which we think is where my knees clipped the car roof.

No action taken sadly, cars parked all over place, vision obscured, and I left no skid marks, I'd been riding a motorbike since 10 but that appeared to have little legal importance.

Anyway take care, eye contact tips good, also watch driver orientation, car orientation, head movements, is he speaking to his passenger/watching road etc etc, hand placement on wheel etc etc, don't go on indicator, go on indicator plus confirmation. Your observation will likely improve with experience and the actul bike control will become motor function, allowing more time for observation etc etc.

solamanda
    Free Member

"you will fall off and crash again"

Ive been getting all this negativity drummed into me from day one of motorcycling and im starting to wonder if too much of it will actually cause a freekin accident due to a lack of confidence brought on by others around me!

I partly agree. Crashes are pretty rare and people do go for many tens of thousands of miles without a single incident. Don't let his put you off.

I think motorbiking a balance, knowing when to have cocky confidence to enjoy it and when to be all business and tone it down to granny speed. If you rode everywhere constantly worried it won't be enjoyable and at the same time if you didn't care and always doubled the speed limit, you'll soon get into trouble.

anagallis_arvensis

The car that was indicating actually slowed, went for the exit and then changed its mind and went straight on, not sure it could have been prevented apart from the muppet behind actually looking where he was going.

footflaps

Best thing I ever did was go on an Advanced Rider course taught by Cambridge Police. It was a free course, 6 lessons in classrooms with video aids then an assessed ride 1 on 1 with a Police Rider for a couple of hours. Learnt so much about riding and driving – was a real eye opener into how to use the road and anticipate other drivers. Have a look to see if there is one in your area?

saleem
    Free Member

Not everyone rides around the Highlands on a fluorescent green monster Martinxyz,but having a brightly coloured bike certainly makes it easier for other motorists to notice you, having confidence on your bike is important as long as this doesn't result in cockyness which it turn puts other motorists in danger, having crashed last year myself in the rain I feel the best thing to do is getting back on your bike and riding again sooner rather than later,just remember to ride carefully.

the_lecht_rocks

bikes are for the track……..
    once tried you'll never ride the road again !

anagallis_arvensis

Not sure thats for me.

martinxyz
    Free Member

im going to a track tomorrow..

with a bike.

but no motor.

;O)

saleem
    Free Member

You you going with windy and his kid????????Can't imagine you jumping the camels on your big green monster,defo have to feather the front brake after them though

redthunder
    Free Member

Deathtraps!

That was always my biggest fear when I was riding my motorbike.

Glad I got rid of it!……………………………..

/.
    but sometimes miss the 0-60 in three secinds though 😉 and a ton up in a couple more 😉

anagallis_arvensis

My insurance company just called to say the driver wasnt insured!! Bit of panic followed, turns out they had written down the reg number wrong… phew.

Marge
    Free Member

Nice idea but I use mine for commuting & saving >1hour per day that gives me 'spare' time to get out cycling…

When I was racing Enduro I didn't need to commute by motorbike and as you say – had no desire to ride on the road.

Northwind

Hope the insurance gets it sorted out for you… Depending on the bike it might be worth checking out crash protection, that can make an enormous difference if done right (crashed my SV at 80mph at knockhill, and all I had to do was replace a brake lever then rode it home) It can look a wee bit silly mind.

"once tried you'll never ride the road again !"

Rubbish tbh. Track riding is great but it's not the be-all and end-all. I'd sooner ride the bealach-na-ba, kinlochleven loop or duke's pass on a quiet day than any of the tracks I've ridden. Personal preference of course, but the vast majority of people who do trackdays don't immediately give up road riding, that's just silly.

anagallis_arvensis

So bike has been written off, offered £1000 or £700 and bike, if I repair the bike and leave a few of the more cosmetic bits out I can repair it quite cheaply, but does nayone know what the implications are for my insurance of the bike being written off? Do I need to get it MOTd again or anything and do I have to inform my insurance?

martinxyz
    Free Member

I did the bealach loop a few weeks ago and putting that aside.. its the ride back from incheril to achnasheen that probably beats any track.infact right up to garve is nice.. infact garve thru to contin is amazing!

fek track days.

scottish late evening riding over the west coast and back is a no brainer. no cars,no camera vans..

just deer.

anagallis_arvensis

Well I still have no bike, what an arse.

anagallis_arvensis

she lives

boblo
    Free Member

Dint get very badly damaged then, just cosmetic (i.e. a bit ugly) 😀

5thElefant
    Free Member

It's a BMW, crashing it can only improve its looks* 😀

*Actually that's one of the only good looking BMWs.

samuri
    Free Member

is that before or after the accident?

Pigface
    Free Member

Oh God its one of those 😯 quick crash it again and do a proper job of it 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘First motorbike, first ride, first crash’ is closed to new replies.