Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • First MOT due this weekend – smooth sailing?
  • rascal
    Free Member

13 plate Golf’s manufacturers warranty runs out on same day it’s first MOT due – 1.3.16 – will it all go tits up now? It’s been faultless up to now so hope it gets through fine – anyone else had similar concerns when first MOT due?

mboy
    Free Member

If a 3yr old car doesn’t sail through its 1st MOT, it will be through neglect rather than anything the manufacturer has or hasn’t done!

Tyres all good? All the bulbs ok? Engine oil changed on time and service history up to date?

simmy
    Free Member

My Fiesta went through first time with 79,000 miles on it.

Just check basics like bulbs, tyres, wipers etc.

nickjb
    Free Member

You can put it through the MOT before it runs out. Might give you a chance to get something fixed under warranty. It should be fine though.

martinhutch

Put it through this week…

MoreCashThanDash

Yep, had ours serviced and MOTd the week before it was due in case of a warranty issue.

Obviously the warranty issue came up at 3 years and 1 week…. 😉

BadlyWiredDog

13 plate Golf’s manufacturers warranty runs out on same day it’s first MOT due – 1.3.16

😐

wrightyson
    Free Member

On the two occasions I’ve had a car under 3 years old it’s always gone in for mot 2/3 weeks prior to the warranty expiring. However 6 yr old mazda sailed through its mot again back in December. Modern cars are much better for continual passing of mot’s

FuzzyWuzzy

Tyres is the only thing I’d double check (assuming you’re not aware of any faults)

rocketman
    Free Member

The MOT’s a safety check so would be gobsmacked if there was anything dangerously wrong with a three year old car

mrs rocket’s Fiesta ST is 10 years old from new and still passing MOTs without a single advisory

Good luck anyway

craigxxl
    Free Member

Check the tyres and bulbs (although the VAG canbus would warn of any failed bulbs). Take it in before it’s due at an independent and any work required can then be reported and booked into VW before the warranty expires. They wouldn’t honour a failed oil temp sensor on mine reported before the warranty expired but they couldn’t get it booked in before it expired. Wanted £195 to replace even after I argued that it was reported before. Took it elsewhere and the sensor had been turned off. Switched back on via VCDS and all was well again.

rascal
    Free Member

Should add I have an extended year’s warranty that kicks in straight away…

njee20
    Free Member

mrs rocket’s Fiesta ST is 10 years old from new

Whilst I like that you state it’s age from new I’d prefer to say it’s 6 years from 4 years old.

stumpy01

MOT is largely testing wear items anyway – tyres, bulbs, brakes, suspension, bushes, CV joints etc. so anything that fails is unlikely to be covered by the warranty.

Just make sure you’ve checked the obvious stuff & it ‘should’ be fine.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

The MOT’s a safety check so would be gobsmacked if there was anything dangerously wrong with a three year old car

Something along these lines.

Although IIRC there are more MOT failures at 3 years than at any other time in a car’s life.

Check:
    Lights
    – All the external ones working?
    – Everything light up as it should on the dash, and go out again when it should?
    Tyres
    -Correct pressure
    -Tread not worn, no cuts or bulges in the tyre
    Brakes
    – Pads not worn anywhere near the limit
    – Disks not worn or cracked
    Engine
    – Fluid levels all between min/max (they don’t check everything, but it’s a good indication if things are going wrong elsewhere)
    Inside
    – Seats all fitted and seatbelts working?

A lot of stuff you’d think would be checked isn’t, they don’t check the service history, or that any repairs are done correctly (unless they fall into some other category like the condition of the suspension etc). The MOT is a roadworthyness check to make sure it’s not likley to kill anyone imminently, if you fail it you’re basically a child/baby robin/kitten murderer. It’s only concerned with looking for dangerous faults with cars.

stumpy01

rocketman – Member

Could be loads of things depending on the mileage….

tyres, bulbs, brakes, worn cv joints….

My brother being a complete car luddite had a car fail it’s MOT because 3 tyres were below the min tread depth…..
    I had a real go at him about it because he spent ages when looking for a new car whining on about how he’d only buy a car with 5* NCAP rating because he wanted his kid’s to be as safe as possible. And then he drove them round in a car with 3 almost bald tyres! I think he actually checks stuff like this, these days.

andytherocketeer

extended warranty is not really a warranty, but an insurance policy, with loads of get-out clauses.

My pug had a safety recall before the 1st MOT.
    And radio replaced under warranty, although that’s hardly a failure.
    The list of fixes required before the 2nd MOT was about £600 worth of parts, mostly to do with brakes.

Headlights were pretty much consumables, like filling the tank.
    Getting stopped on the way back from the mains stealers in Bristol for a light out was my best one, and the Police were right, it was my responsibility to make sure the car is roadworthy, and the invoice for the full service showing headlight replacement and realignment is actually a worthless piece of paper in the eyes of the law.

You can get MOT done up to weeks before or something like that, and I thought you get those as extra 2 weeks before the next one is due?

Glad I offloaded that car at 4 yrs old.

A VAG ought to sail thru though.

edit: PS I think my safety recall was the one for potential electrical fire in the engine bay, not the one that was potential for electrical fire in the vicinity of the fuel tank. But least safety recalls get fixed for free regardless of warranty.

jimw
    Free Member

It can be done up to 28 days before I believe. I had my Skoda done 20 days early a couple of weeks ago, the MOT runs for 1 year and 19 days.

It passed with no advisories.

trail_rat
    Free Member

you can MOT a car at any time you wish.

but only a max of 1 month will be recognised on top of the new 12 months certificate IE a 13 month mot.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Is it one of those emissions cheaters?
    😆
    😉

rascal
    Free Member

bikebuoy – I’ve been told mine isn’t a ‘naughty’ car by a good source.
    Had no contact from VW either.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Should pass then 😀

Where are you taking it? Lots of MOT stations out there that are “relaxed” about certain things..

I’d take it to an MOT station only, one that doesn’t do repairs….

But hey, you car’s practically new innit…

rascal
    Free Member

I have been badgered by Parkway in Derby where I bought it to go in there.
    They haven’t covered themselves in glory since I’ve had it so they can sod off.
    Taking it to an independent one man band who only does MOTs – doesn’t do anything else and doesn’t sell anything. Taken all our cars there for 12 years. Not the cheapest (there’s a reason why cheap is cheap as they’ll probably fail you to sell stuff – cynical I know) but nearly always pass first time.

br
    Free Member

but only a max of 1 month will be recognised on top of the new 12 months certificate IE a 13 month mot.

This.

I always book my cars’ MOT’s for the first week of the month before – means you’ve time to get it sorted plus with the current car I had it MOT’d and serviced the month before the warranty ran out; just in case.

hora
    Free Member

DONT go to a vw main dealer or kwikfit
    Have a good look round your car BEFORE you go. Tyres, all bulbs etc etc

PePPeR

Tyres, bulbs and wipers, are the main failure points of most MOT’s, check them before you go and full your washer bottle up!

butcher

Tyres, bulbs and wipers, are the main failure points of most MOT’s, check them before you go and full your washer bottle up!

I go by the opinion that if you take it in with any of the above in poor condition, the tester isn’t likely to look favourably on it, and given that some other items may be at their discretion…

RustyNissanPrairie

1st MOT, pah!

Try owning and spannering your own 150k mile 12 year old V70, 9 year old 90k Transit and a 25year old Defender!

Fitted new discs and pads to the Transit (and a few other new bits elsewhere) before MOT, took it straight in for the test – failed on low brake efficiency as the pads weren’t bedded in!

rascal
    Free Member

Sailed through – what was I worried about? 😉
    Got in it at 7.45 this morning so I can ride soon. Had an interesting chat with the guy.
    Confirmed what I suspected about cheap MOTs. A bod from MOT told him when they see these ‘MOTs only £29.99’ etc they hear alarm bells ringing – that price doesn’t even cover overheads for calibrating testing equipment and service contracts on ramps etc so they need to make their money back on selling parts & labour. Hardly a surprise that they’ll ‘find’ things to ‘fix’.
    I’ll quite happily keep going back to him – sells nothing. £50 MOT and 10% off if repeat customer. Thoroughly nice bloke too. For those in the Leicestershire area I’d recommend:

Homepage

And no, I’m not on commission 🙂

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Glad it passed, however I certainly wouldn’t have waited until the warranty ran out.

My experience of MOT’s is that it’s own to the MOT centre honesty as to whether you pass or fail

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘First MOT due this weekend – smooth sailing?’ is closed to new replies.