Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • first ever roadie ride today!
  • HansRey

going for my first ever road ride today…

Eindhoven – 's Hertogenbosch – Utrecht – Nijmegen – Eindhoven …. looking at 200+km…

Thankfully we're stopping at Utrecht for 2 kebabs and beers, so it won't be such a change from the XC or DH posing that i usually do

wish me luck!

loddrik
    Free Member

Watch out for all those category 1 climbs…

Spey-Stout
    Free Member

good luck!

mangatank
    Free Member

Be careful. Reports indicate that SS-Kampfgruppe 'Knaust' has moved into the area around Arnhem…

radoggair
    Free Member

200+km for your FIRST roadie ride, very very good luck on that one !!!

mogrim

lol@loddrik 🙂

Hope you're fit, and you don't live in an upstairs flat… You're about to discover that, unlike on an MTB, on a road bike you never stop pedalling…

Sounds good, though.

HansRey

ride was fantastic. Although 200 is certainly my limit for now! We averaged about 28kph 🙂 The speed wasn't that fast… i'd rather be averaging 32kph and get some decent ironman training in the bag though…

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Thats pretty good! you must have been in shape!

How long did it take?

Drac

How long did it take?

About 7 hours I'd say.

Good going.

HansRey

yeah, 7hours sounds about right. It was surprisingly fun, sprinting over the bridges and winding through forest roads. I'll probably do it again

radoggair
    Free Member

125miles in 7 hours is good going, pretty impressive.

How many were you that did it?

If its bunched riding, hopefully you should get around the 5 hour mark for that distance eventually

13thfloormonk

Raddog, what would you maintain over a solo, hilly (by scottish standards) 100 miles?

My averages are always disappointingly low but I include stops, so I've now just started having shorter stops 😀

HansRey

it was just the two of us, but he's a triathlete so he really pushed me. The first 100 were difficult as we were in a pretty hefty headwind/ storm for the large part of it. But the second part was easy peasy!

I still think i'd struggle in a hilly place though!

radoggair
    Free Member

Raddog, what would you maintain over a solo, hilly (by scottish standards) 100 miles?

Would try and average 20/21 mph over that distance. In a duo training run, not much more in it TBH, prob another 1-2 mph extra. You dont tend to go slower than 16mph on climbs unles its cat 1 or 2 where you might be down at 11/12mph for a slight duration until you get into a steady rhythm where you can prob hold steady at a touch more.

HTH

radoggair
    Free Member

it was just the two of us, but he's a triathlete so he really pushed me. The first 100 were difficult as we were in a pretty hefty headwind/ storm for the large part of it.

Its unbelievable how much the wind makes a difference. My commute home from work normally takes 40 mins for the 13.5 miles, thats with 1 serious climb of about 500m ( think 2nd gear in a car to get up it) and the last 6 miles being a constant climb with maybe 1.5 mile of that flat. Friday, during windy season i peaked at 52.4mph and was home with 31 minutes which was mostly wind related. Going to work on the other hand was a big 😥 😥

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘first ever roadie ride today!’ is closed to new replies.