• This topic has 258 replies, 105 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by gonzy.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 259 total)
  • Firing staff
  • singletrackmind

Gotta let a lad go at work. Petty , pathetic , silly theiving but its escalating and its the principle.
    Since I started in November he has .-
    Stolen the coffee that was bought especially for me, and put it in his own little pot and replaced with nasty stale Nescafe decaf, as if i wouldnt notice Azzuro Intenso had changed size , colour and flavour.

Got a tin of celebrations at xmas and he pretty much emptied 3/4 of it on his own in 2 days ( 5 of us in works )

2nd tin of celebrations in my locker ( key in door but locked ) Same as above but this time 100% emptied and tin thrown in bin.

Got a bag of small mini eggs for easter , I hid them in my locker ( with my coffee ) and in 3 days they are 3/4 gone . The key for my locker now lives in my top drawer at work. So hes gone into the drawer to source the key , nicked a load of eggs and relocked and replaced key.

So now he has lost a £18k a year a job for £2 worth of chocolate . However its the principle and there has been a £19 cash discrepancy in our petty cash tin.

What a dumbass.

So it would appear I need to do a formal procedure and write all this in a letter , suspend him on full pay and then fire him at a later date ( 11mths in work )

bails

Got any proof of any of that?

Although if he’s been there for less than two years doesn’t he have less protection anyway?

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Dafuq? Has he been confronted with this, is he any good at his job. Shirley a written warning if he’s not been disciplined before and he’s actallyvuseful? Not good behaviour but hardly grand larceny is it?

Drac

He ate some chocolate that was for everyone and used some coffee? You’re firing him for this?

m0rk
    Free Member

Seems a little disproportionate as a reaction…. Has anyone talked to him? Maybe tell him to pick up a couple of boxes of celebrations and not eat them?

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Love to see you cope in the prison service.

project
    Free Member

Take him out for lunch and then tell him “NO DESERT FOR YOU”

Thatll teach him

thestabiliser
    Free Member

This is either a piss weak excuse to dump dead weight or there’s a major shortage of functioning testicles in your workplace.

Drac

I’d say he has big one firing someone for that, having had to go down this route twice you need to be water tight with your reasons. Have you done any probationary reviews in the last 11 months raising such things as this?

donks
    Free Member

Sweet mother of god!!

I actually thought sweets, Coffee, dishwasher tablets and any form stationary were fair game and almost a given perk of any job.

The pilfering that went on in the building firm I worked at a few years ago was eye watering…….. Not saying I condone any of this however.

footflaps

None of those issues seem to be in any way work related?

singletrackmind

How would you feel if someone went into your locker and stole your lunch. No , its not grand theft auto but its the principle.
    My wallet lives in my locker , so where does it end?
    yes, its £2 of choclate but its the fact he has gone into my desk, obtained the key , opened the locker, stolen pretty much all the egss that were for everybody and put away because he had all the celebrations and I had to suffer all the moaning from everyone else, and put the key back.
    The petty cash tin lives in the same draw as my locker key.

grumpysculler
    Free Member

That doesn’t sound terribly water tight (which you need to be these days). If you haven’t been through your written disciplinary process then you could be up the creek. You better have a lot of proof of all of that (not circumstantial) if you want to fire him for it.

Alternatively, with 11 months service, you would be well advised to dismiss for no reason. You are entitled to dismiss for any reason that is not automatically unfair within the first 2 years of employment and you are only required to provide a reason after 1 year employment.

Drac

My wallet lives in my locker , so where does it end?

Was it taken?

How do you know it was him taking the petty cash?

Alternatively, with 11 months service, you would be well advised to dismiss for no reason

You need details of what was discussed during his employment.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Take him out for lunch and then tell him “NO DESERT FOR YOU”

footflaps

Do you have evidence that he was the one who went into your locker e.g. CCTV footage?

allthepies
    Free Member

Marmite are hiring.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Jesus wept. Give him a bollocking record it and move on. If he does it again after that can him. If you seriously think he nicked the cash then you might have a point but it sounds more of a loose correlation at this stage.

woodlikesbeer
    Free Member

I’ve had to take people down that route before. I suggest you lay facts on the table first and issue a written warning. There are so many employee protection rights on this that it is risky for the employer to fire without being taking to a tribunal. Sounds like you’re in a small company so you might find it easier to get rid of staff. But none the less I’d want to be sure the case couldn’t be argued against.

In my sector it takes around 1-2 years (seriously) to build a case to fire someone. Unless they do something stupid like kill some. Assaulting another member of staff might do it, but often not!

Don’t underestimate the effectiveness of a good verbal slapping. I turned around one member of staff with a serious of “difficult conversations”. Depends if they are good at their job otherwise.

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

keep the locker key on your person not left in the drawer where everyone knows where it is?

Keep the petty cash tin locked and don’t leave the key around.

Talk to him. Do you have proof it was him?

project
    Free Member

He may well have a COFFEE HABIT or be a CHOCOHOLIC, both are classed as medical conditions as of tommorrow.

konabunny
    Free Member

Is he left-handed? It’s illegal under EU law to fire left-handed people because it’s a health and safety hazard

tomhoward

Do you have proof? Are you sure the lad isn’t being stitched up? Not necessarily maliciously, just the rest of the staff blaming him for everything as he’s the new lad?

How much will it cost to rehire someone else if you do fire him, as opposed to just having a stern word?

singletrackmind

I am his manager and as its within 2 years service I can call him into the office , get his keys and say dont come in on Monday.

I would never steal from my colleagues. I dont expect them to steal from me, or each other.

Its the respect thing . So maybe my moral compass points in a different direction to most people. Dishwasher tablets ffs what else??

Oh Im out of bog roll at home , I know I’ll just steal a few rolls from work, and a few reams of paper, got some shit stains in my lav so Im taking the toilet duck home as well whilst Im at it.

BadlyWiredDog

You should fire yourself for drinking instant bloody Nescafe. Unacceptable… 😐

thestabiliser
    Free Member

So maybe my moral compass points in a different direction to most people

For a compass that’s usually a fair indication that its ****.

Drac

I am his manager and as its within 2 years service I can call him into the office , get his keys and say dont come in on Monday.

Good luck.

For a compass that’s usually a fair indication that its ****.

😆

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

quite right on the not expecting anyone to steal but how do you know it’s him?

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I would never steal from my colleagues. I dont expect them to steal from me, or each other.

Its the respect thing . So maybe my moral compass points in a different direction to most people. Dishwasher tablets ffs what else??

Oh Im out of bog roll at home , I know I’ll just steal a few rolls from work, and a few reams of paper, got some shit stains in my lav so Im taking the toilet duck home as well whilst Im at it.

Ooohh, listen to you!

Here’s a typical prison (true) story.
    My mate Sam (well known Scrooge) took a Blue Riband biscuit from a fridge, it had been there on his wing, for ages. (The biscuit not the fridge) He gave it to another mate of mine (Mark) who ate it, then said, ‘thanks Sam, but It’s not like you to give stuff away’ & Sam said, no problem Mark, It wasn’t mine anyway, I nicked it out the fridge’

Join the prison service, You’d be fine!

For about 2 days.

zer0c00l44
    Free Member

I wouldn’t have any of that shit. Rummaging through your stuff so he can take stuff thats doesn’t really belong to him is not on. Sack him with out a reason, if hes been there for less than 2 years he cant do jack shit.

tomhoward

Have you even asked him about it? Was that your plan? Just tell him to sling his hook, with no real consideration for the facts, other than ‘I think he did something that one one else is all that bothered about’?

singletrackmind

because 2 of them are drivers and are out driving pretty much all day and 1 of them does not eat sweets.

And the other 2 have had a go at me about the freebies disappearing before they had a chance to get to them, expecting me to do something about it.

There is only 1 person who has neither complained they got zero freebies, or asked where they are.

His work area bin contains most of the celebrations wrappers

maybe i need a new compass , and a stripey top , eye mask and large swag bag. Jeez at least I have something worth stealing , dishwasher tablets aside

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

You’re the manager, you should know what to do. Do it.

devash
    Free Member

Cool story bro.

(Seriously, this is a troll post, right?)

muddy@rseguy

Substitute the chocolate covered raisins for rabbit dropings and leave in your locker as a trap.

Or, perhaps a quiet chat about acceptable behaviour in the workplace would be a better idea …

….over a nice cup of very weak mellow birds coffee (well, mellow birds is the definition of weak) that’s tepid and served in a dirty mug with some biscuits (happy shopper cheapo digestives) that have been left out for a couple of days so they are nice and soggy. 😉

davosaurusrex

You lot are being a bit harsh to singletrackmind. What he didn’t mention is that this numpty also set his stapler in jelly. Had his name on it and everything.

Drac

There is only 1 person who has neither complained they got zero freebies, or asked where they are.

You?

allthepies
    Free Member

Get some of these in your locker.

And if they go missing, call him into your office and:-

“Ambassador, with these Rocher you are really stealing from us!”

singletrackmind

what i have not mentioned is the fact he also unloaded a pallet and packaged suplhuric acid in the ingrediants area and funnily enough the sulphuric acid has found its way into the foodstuff.

I do have to take some responsibility for this as I am his manager and sufficient food safety protocols were not in place.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 259 total)

The topic ‘Firing staff’ is closed to new replies.