Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Finally gone singlespeed (new bike content)
  • molgrips
    Free Member

…. sort of 🙂

[url=https://flic.kr/p/nuxSnR]Finally gone singlespeed![/url] by molgrips, on Flickr

It is an actual track bike for actual track usage, not posing around London. Quite pleased with, I must say, apart from the amber-wall tyre on the front. I bought this frame ages ago and when looking for bits for it someone offered me a complete bike on the classifieds for an excellent price. The amber-wall tyre is a small price to pay 🙂

I was going to use some old fairly knackered Look pedals on it, but given that I have Shimano on my road bike and you can get new 105 pedals for £20 I think I’ll get some of those so I can use my best shoes for both road and track.

I’ve only sat on it, not ridden it, but the front is very low. I suppose this is as required for track cycling. Stem is quite short (90 I think), I have a longer 110mm one I may try see how that goes.

Only niggle is that the chain is rather noisy – I thought SSers were meant to be quiet, this is noisier than my geared bikes.

ski
    Free Member

Noisy chain? Is it too tight at some point of rotation?

scotroutes

That stem looks longer than 90mm

molgrips
    Free Member

Dunno. I tried it slack and tight, made no difference to the noise. It’s steady too, doesn’t come and go. It seems to be 1/8 chain and sprockets all round, it doesn’t *look* worn.. although I don’t know what quality the chain is.

JoeG
    Free Member

Where is the dropper? 😉

umop3pisdn
    Free Member

It’s a reasonably chunky aluminium frame, amplifies the chain nose. Would be quieter with a Phil Wood sprocket and nicer chainring, but then that’s $$$.

What’s the front wheel? Looks like quite a nice wide rim, and is that a Rivendell front tyre?

Unless you’re very oddly proportioned I’d say the frame is too big for you.

molgrips
    Free Member

I don’t think they’d approve of that at the velodrome. Nor would they approve of Marzocchi 66s , 780mm bars or any other mtb related frippery 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

It does look big, doesn’t it. I’m bog standard proprtions, 5’11, and it’s a 56cm. Saddle may be too low, not sure – have not fitted pedals yet or ridden it.

Wheels are basic Miche track hubs with Mavic Open Pro. The tyre is a Schwalbe something, may be quite old.

This is a budget special, so I won’t be replacing bits unless I need to. Smaller rear sprocket is all it’s getting.

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

There is a certain ‘resonance’ noise of a track bike with 1/8 chain and sprockets on fixed. Enjoy it when you can.

umop3pisdn
    Free Member

Wheels are basic Miche track hubs with Mavic Open Pro. The tyre is a Schwalbe something, may be quite old.

Well that shows how good my eyes are. If you’re going on the boards it would be worth getting decent tyres, these are fast and cheap.

Merak

Does look a tad big. I’m 5’11 and a bit and I ride a 54 Dolan, they size up big.

molgrips
    Free Member

Reach is ok with that stem so doesn’t feel like size will be an issue. That’s what you get for buying frames off eBay I suppose.

umop those look good – what are the criteria for good track tyres? Guessing high grip race tyres on the basis that they won’t wear out..?

scaredypants

but the front is very low

as they said up there, looks high cf saddle position

Merak

Mines low at the front, aerodynamics innit.

kilo

My bike drivetrain can be a little noisy, for track use you don’t want the chain too tight.

Tyre wise it depends where you are going to use it, at herne hill you can get away with road tyres (I used pro race fours there) but on wood it gets more stringent, this is manchesters regs;

Use Continental, Schwalbe, Tufo or Vittoria clinchers or tubulars (black tread only), 21 mm wide or
    better.
    Recommended clinchers and tubulars
    Make Model Width Make Model Width
    Conti Tempo 22mm Tufo S3 Pro 22mm
    Conti Sonderklasse 165/175 22mm Tufo S3 Lite 135 21mm
    Schwalbe Durano T 22 and 25mm Tufo Elite 120 21mm
    Schwalbe Ultremo R1 22 and 25mm Vittoria Pista EVO CS 22mm
    Vittoria Pista EVO CL 22mm

for Newport we’ve used vittoria diamente pro light and pista and thy’ve been fine – but you need to clean with alcohol and sand before first use

molgrips
    Free Member

for track use you don’t want the chain too tight.

Why do you say that? Slack on a fixie is annoying.

Oh I didn’t know there were tyre specs for different tracks – good point. I might end up at Newport and possibly London if I am lucky, could do with something that overlaps.

edhornby

I have one of these for commuting (I know, sounds bonkers but it has a front brake and works well) and they are good frames, they feel low because of the steep head angle and also you’ve got oldschool deep drops on it, it’ll be fine

TiRed

Same size as you. Mine is a 54 with a 120 stem bought off here. They do make a noise. My steel track bike is silent. The Dolans at Newport sound the same as mine. I too put it down to the frame tubing.

Geometry isnt really track to be honest. It has the same geometry as my road bike (73 degrees parallel). My steel bike is a lot steeper.

huws
    Free Member

Mine’s noisy as hell but that’s down to a nonexistent maintenance regime and winter commuting.

5’9″ on a 52cm (53.5 TT) track champion. Could probably do with one size up, definitely a longer stem and the track forks to make it a little less twitchy.

Yesterday at Herne Hill

umop3pisdn
    Free Member

Slack on a fixie is annoying.

That’s not a fixie, it’s a fixed wheel track bike.

If you notice the slack in the chain then you’re not pedalling properly. Maintain the power throughout the stroke, letting the chain carry your feet through the deadspot is laziness.

If we’re sharing bikes, then here’s mine

taxi25
    Free Member

Whats your inside leg measurement ? I bet when you get some pedals fitted the saddle will have to go up a bit. If it’s going to be track only try a longer stem as well, worth sacrificing some comfort for a more aero position.

molgrips
    Free Member

That’s not a fixie, it’s a fixed wheel track bike

It’s fixed wheel yes, so if there is slack then when you need to slow down slightly there’s a clunk, if you have slack. If I were riding with a well drilled pro squad that might not be necessary, but I’m not so it is 🙂

I have options for the front end, plenty of spacers and I have stems to choose from.

molgrips
    Free Member

New sprocket, tyres and pedals have arrived. Stem has been lowered and lengthened. First outing (or inning) tomorrow morning 8am.

wwaswas

Stem has been lowered and lengthened.

that’s a neat trick 🙂

Enjoy the ride!

Sundayjumper

…you can get new 105 pedals for £20…

Where ? I bought a 105 groupset from Merlin for a build and I could do with some pedals to match.

molgrips
    Free Member

Most places.. Wiggle and CRC both do them. Shimano R540.. actually may be ‘less’ than 105 but they are fine in reality.

Sundayjumper

Do they also sell Ultegra pedals for £20 ? Your logic would suggest so 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

What logic?

Just acknowledging my earlier mistake, in that the £20 pedals are not in fact 105; but also that there seems to be little difference between R540 and the 5700s apart from 45g. They certainly are amazing value for money.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Finally gone singlespeed (new bike content)’ is closed to new replies.