Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Film Scanners
  • thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Which ones are good? Figure it might be an easier method than actualy developing prints, just develop the film then scan it. Any thoughts? Budget – significanlty cheeper than buying a DSLR please.

molgrips
    Free Member

Apparently the cheap ones are rubbish.

Rockhopper
    Free Member

Yep cheap ones are rubbish, a decent one will cost a fair bit more than a DSLR, oh and it takes ages to do as well!

goog
    Free Member

sorry

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Even s/h? I presumed (posibly incorectly) that lots of people might have bought them just before they went digital to extend the usable life of their SLR’s and archive old pictures.

ski
    Free Member

We use a Epson V700 combi here at work, still £400 notes new I think!

& tbh, its only ok for films not great, does cover all film formats from 35mm to 5×4, work here, does not care about quality much tbh. just as long as its on time!

We used to use a Nikon Coolscan, which was better, sorry dont know which version it was, our manager took it home to do some home work & we have never seen it again 😉

Second hand Coolscan might be worth looking at?

molgrips
    Free Member

You could bodge one. Get a scanner and an enlarger. Disable the lamp in the scanner, put it under the enlarger and scan. Job’s a goodun.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Lol, much as I like dicking arround with gaffa tape, that sounds like as much if not more work than just developing prints!

jonjonjon3
    Free Member

I have used a Nikon Coolscan III with good results. One of the problems with film scanners is the time it takes to scan all of your negatives/slides, there is quite a lot of faffing around with the settings and making sure the negs/slides are clean etc. If you do go down this route the Vuescan software is very good. If you develop your slides unmounted (cheaper) you should be able to batch scan 6ish at a time.

In the end I bought a DLR and sold the SLR (still have the scanner though gathering dust).

molgrips
    Free Member

Save up 200 notes and buy a DSLR, I would. It’s way better, but I’m sure you know that.

seosamh77
    Free Member

I had to scan loads of negatives one time(work bought an epsom v750, good scanner, but you’ll buy a decent camera for the price of it, £450 i think), it was a horrible job though, the dirt and dust on them was ridiculous, and the amount of time spent in photoshop cleaning up the images was equally so. Get them developed then buy yourself a decent DSLR, save the hassle in the future.

freddyg
    Free Member

I’ve got a Canon MP990 multifunction device and it came with a caddy for scanning 35mm film. I was very sceptical as to whether the quality of the final image would be any good, but was very, very impressed with the results. It cost around £200 2 years ago, but has now been superceded by the MG8150(I believe).

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Film Scanners’ is closed to new replies.