Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 84 total)
  • Fifteen years – JMC Day today
  • brant
    Free Member
    tree-magnet
    Free Member

15 years? Blimey.

RIP JMC, an inspiration to many of us.

retro83
    Free Member

Inspiring rider, RIP Jason

lowey

RIP

mattythemod
    Free Member

RIP a true legend .

mamadirt
    Free Member

Ride free . . .

shortcut

Crikey – time does fly but the memory lives on for those of us who have been riding for long enough!

Edric64
    Free Member

I just read the story he sounded really dedicated what a sad loss.

singlecrack
    Free Member

RIP JMC

Time to get the DIRT video out again (ahh those were the days)

cp

ooo, good call, think I've got that somewhere too. RIP indeed.

SpeedyG
    Free Member

He was amazing, saw him at one of the bike shows in Olympia once but didn't have the nerve to approach him, I'll always regret that. He died on my birthday, I remember I just had to go out and ride when I heard the news. Going to have to watch Dirt later!

spacehopper

RIP JMC…

live to ride, ride to live..

cant believe its been 15 years… 🙁

scotia
    Free Member

Inspiring rider and amazing person, RIP Jason

HeathenWoods
    Free Member

A huge loss. RIP.

neil853
    Free Member

ONe of the main reasons i started mountainbiking (in 93)

damion
    Free Member

Just realised I don't have a VHS player anymore. Shame was gonna have a Dirt & Getta Grip session when I got home.

It's not been fifteen years, surely?

Ride Free.

fatmax

I got into mountain biking as an impressionable teenager in the late 80's – biking round Hamsterley, Kielder, Chopwell Woods etc in the north-east, and to me JMC was a God. Brilliant cyclist (BMX, mountain biking, track – everything!) and just one of those people that seems to have been universally loved, admired and respected. Not many people can say that. I'm the same as SpeedyG in that I was at races with him but never approached for an autograph or a chat – hey ho, I regret that too.
    RIP, a hero and a legend for me, and I'm sure others.

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

I remember it even being all over the news, they showed loads of footage from mammoth I think.

MisterCrud
    Free Member

He was a great rider, a really good laugh, and a perfect son to his proud parents.
    Jim and Rose, my thoughts are with you today.

bigdawg
    Free Member

15 years… 😯

My god, FOund my copy of dirt in the loft the other day, but the video (also in the loft) had long since stopped working…

An amazing rider that a lot of us aspired to, and truly gutted when I heard he'd died… I dont know if anyone remembers but the August edition of MBUK someone had written in complaining that there was too much JMC in the mag after the huge satory of him living in california (how to clean my teeth with JMC, how to eat my breakfast with JMC), a month later he wrote back in apologizing…

Cant believe that was 15 years ago, we even had a summer in august back then too…

AdeC
    Free Member

ditto to all the above. He was a great man. Such a loss to UK mountain biking. A true superstar. RIP

rOcKeTdOg

i asked one of the young scamps i see when out riding if he knew who JMC was…no idea whatsoever,

i remember watching the vids and seeing him in MBUK and wanting a chilli paintwork on my halfords appollo! 🙂

breakneckspeed
    Free Member

JMC – was an inspirational character in the relatively early days of the sport – I was lucky enough to watch h race in the NAMBS & NEMBA races in the early 90’s – a real talent – still sadly missed – Ride Free

jl.
    Free Member

RIP mate.

I started mountain biking in '93 and for me, what this guy did was what mountain biking was, is and will always be all about.

Legend

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

My VHS still works so I'll be watching DIRT this evening. I think it's all here inlow res on youtube too: CLICKY YOU TUBE A truly shocking lack of crash helmets and body armour 😉

RIP. One of the first riders I saw that made mountain biking look exciting.

He could've gone on to be one of the all time worldwide greats like Peaty had he not been taken too soon.

tomdebruin
    Free Member

On my first day of college a guy I'd just met told me what had happened. I could barely believe it so I phoned MBUK to confirm.

I still have a signed poster somewhere from Bike '95.

Has no one copied Dirt to DVD or put it online somewhere?

toons
    Free Member

RIP JMC

I stumbled across these the other day.

Source

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Yup. RIP. (Ride In Peace – I can't believ he understood the word "rest"…)

The bit I remember from DIRT – he's just thrashing along a grass bank next to a road – nothing gnarly, but he's giving it full beans and looking like he's having the time of his life. How biking should be – flat out and grinning.

soulrider
    Free Member

JMC – Peaty's hero…. what more can you say?

I have DIRT on an MBUK DVD somewhere so I will watch it then
    I am going riding tonight whatever the weather..

fatmax

Does make laugh at all the 'what tyre' threads on here now…he was riding a hardtail in DH events, and doing the Kamikaze without body armour.Now that's the true spirit of mountain biking!
    Q – why aren't you wearing body armour
    JMC – well i don't intend to crash!

Alcopop
    Free Member

Started mountain biking early 90's and Jason was the MAN,cant believe it's been 15 years…jeez, yep i'll be another one watching Dirt tonight

jedi

raises coffee!

Chase
    Free Member

15 years. Wow. I remember calling around to Foulds Terrace and the mood in the house was all wrong. I then found out what had happened. Although I never knew JMC, I saw first hand how much he meant to you.

TomHill
    Free Member

My first mountain biking hero. Probably my first hero in general (alongside some of the stars of the early-mid 90s Halifax RLFC!).

Ride Free JMC.

theflatboy
    Free Member

tree-magnet – Member
    RIP JMC, an inspiration to many of us.

definitely – was then when i was a youngster, still is now i'm not. legend.

whippersnapper
    Free Member

Does make laugh at all the 'what tyre' threads on here now…he was riding a hardtail in DH events, and doing the Kamikaze without body armour.Now that's the true spirit of mountain biking!

here here

peteroughton169
    Free Member

Rip jason, sad loss

simon_g

More than half a lifetime ago for me now. I still remember picking up that issue of MBUK and being in shock for days.

chipps

I can still remember hearing the news in the MBUK office when I was working there. We were just going to print with MTB Pro and I had 20 minutes to sum up his life in a paragraph. Mind you, it would never have been enough time… I went on his ten year anniversary ride in the Peaks (five years ago then…) and saw Mr Crud, Peaty, Nick Craig and Jason's parents.

Great guy and rightly it seems he'll always be remembered, and remembered fondly.
    Rubbish tandem stoker though 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 84 total)

The topic ‘Fifteen years – JMC Day today’ is closed to new replies.